Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 05:50   #76

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Heaving-to doesn't really help if the victim falls overboard while you are sailing to windward. By the time you heave-to you're upwind of the MOB and sailing at about 1-2 knots away..on avg.

I like falling off to a broad reach immediately and then tacking back on a close reach.
Not sure I agree with a statement that says a method does not really help. I think that you need to evaluate the conditions, the boat, and the crew. Sailing to windward, it takes us a quick flick of the tiller, and we are heaved to. Almost no time at all. If I fall off to a broad reach with my boat in any sort of serious wind, the distance I would travel away from the MOB would be drastic. Also I could possibly reach and cross the "line of death" as we call it where I power up so much I trip a hull and flip. Got to slow the boat down, and get the time to assess the situation, and make the right decisions on getting back to the MOB. I would call it the quick stop method for fast multihulls.

For us heaving to works, I did not specify it works for everyone, it is just our preference in most cases based on our experience and boat. I still hold the belief that any discussion of MOB occurrences should focus on avoiding MOB at all costs, and finding ways to decrease the chances of it happening.

Regardless great dialog all, except for some minor my way is the best chest pounding in this thread, which does not apply, because every situation is different and Evan asked what people do, and we are all unique.

Cheers,
Old 12-09-2010, 06:59   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just FYI - here is what the Safety at Sea committee currently 'officially' says (in the special regulations) about engines (I believe John R wrote this):

Quickstop Using Engine
Use of the engine is not essential, although it’s advisable to have it running in neutral, during Quick-Stop in case it is needed in the final approach. Check first for trailing lines!
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:18   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Also with regard to the various techniques under sail . . . there have been three quite good on-the-water tests conducted (Annapolis, Seattle and San Francisco). They are worth reading. I don't have a copy of the Annapolis test but the Seattle report can be found at http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/safe...ick%20stop.pdf and the San Francisco report at http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/COBFINALREPORT.pdf (these are 1-2mb pdfs)

I will let each of you draw your own conclusions, but the 'official/expert' conclusion was that the quick stop was the only method to be recommended by US Sailing.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob