Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2013, 20:26   #1

Missing Boat found in Cuba: Lessons Learned

I and others have been following the thread of CaptGeos friend Jay and the boat 3/4 Time a 40 foot trimaran whose Epirb was found 34 miles northwest of Key West. Despite an "extensive" search by the Coast Guard and others the boat was never found until it washed up on the northern shores of Cuba with the sailor in the cockpit wearing a life jacket and tethered to the boat but, sadly deceased. What is a mystery to me, disturbing actually. Is that despite the search by the authorities following the activation of the EPIRB that no one spotted the boat for several weeks until it came ashore in Cuba. The waters the boat was sailing in were not actually off the beaten track either. I was in Marathon and heard the Pon Pon message from the Coast Guard about the missing boat all week. So the word was out. Certainly has me rethinking the chances of even near coast rescues is even less of a sure thing.

I'm also thinking that an AIS transponder which I have on my boat can also be useful as a backup to the EPIRB should that fall overboard as appears to be the case above. At least AIS would stay with the boat as long as there was power. If the EPIRB drifts off then all bet's are off if this tragic case is any indication.
Old 28-05-2013, 22:09   #2

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Missing Boat found in Cuba: Lessons Learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Respect to the families feelings is good.... But also there is a point where knowledge can help save others lives.

Saying he was with the boat but tethered... Leads to ask the question was he in the cockpit and tethered or over the side and tethered?

When you find that information it will be important. Many people sail with tethers too long so if they fall over they hit the water... Others are short so if they fall they don't actually go over the side.

Mark
"..The boat was intact with its sails up when it was found, she said..."

"...Lesseig said the Coast Guard called her Tuesday morning to inform the family that Rydberg's body and boat had been found. She didn't know exactly when he was found, how he ended up in the water or why he couldn't get back in the boat..."

Body of Fairbanks man missing off Florida found in Cuba - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner: Local News
Old 28-05-2013, 23:30   #3

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
He had to know he had a problem before going into the water if he retrieved his EPIRB from the bulkhead. I wouldn't think he'd have that on him unless something was up but I also didn't know him personally just going on what I've read. I wonder if he had some sort of medical emergency. What puzzles me is how did the CG not see him? Trimarans aren't that common so even one under way should have been scrutinized.
SC
Old 29-05-2013, 02:34   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
......... Despite an "extensive" search by the Coast Guard and others the boat was never found until it washed up on the northern shores of Cuba with the sailor in the cockpit wearing a life jacket and tethered to the boat but, sadly deceased. ......
What is your source for the emphasised detail?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-05-2013, 02:48   #5
H34

According to the reports Jay's body was tethered but Jay was not tethered within the cockpit. We are hoping an autopsy will render the possible cause of death. We have numerous speculations but are eager to learn all the facts. Again, I have requested from the Coast Guard based on the freedom of information act, the 3/4 TIME complete file.

I wish to add the fact that has not been added -Jay had extensive surgery and was wearing a colostomy bag. He was determined to live his life to the fullest and he certainly demonstrated that fact.
Old 29-05-2013, 03:24   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
".how he ended up in the water or why he couldn't get back in the boat..."
Maybe he wore his EPIRB at all times just for this type of occurrence.

What a terrible shame to happen like this.

I don't understand why so folks gild the lilly as to how he died. It's pretty obvious he went overboard. Even a fully for single hander has very little chance of getting back on board unless they have huge upper body strength, are uninjured, and are not held down by water etc.

I tether well in board.

Solo sailing does have its disadvantages.

Thoughts with the family and friends.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-05-2013, 03:30   #7

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

The fact that the CG missed seeing 3/4 Time may be due to the fact that the EPIRB was in the water, stationary, while the boat sailed on, with a strong following wind, maybe 8 - 10 knots? The CG usually conducts searches in "expanding squares," spiraling out from one spot, in this case the EPIRB location. So with each new pass of the expanding squares, 3/4 Time moved farther off.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
What is your source for the emphasised detail?
Information I had at the time I posted. I assumed since he was tethered he would be still on the boat. It now is reported he was tethered but, in the water. Which brings up the question of how long one's tether should actually be. The lesson learned as Mark J mentioned short enough so that one can't possibly go over the side.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing Boat found in Cuba: Lessons Learned

Sad news... but methinks the only lesson here is if your tethered you'll be found with the boat.
Not knowing his medical condition led to humorous speculation re the possibilities... was this info known by the searchers..?
The worrying thing for many will be.. as has been stated... the S&R off a busy coastline failing to find him and no one seeing/reporting an erratically sailing Tri..
As to what led to this we'll never know for sure.. except death comes to all sooner or later..
How one lived is more important than how one died..
one we can chose.. the others just a flick of the coin..
From a stranger...
Here's hoping he lived a good life..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:06   #10
H34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
The fact that the CG missed seeing 3/4 Time may be due to the fact that the EPIRB was in the water, stationary, while the boat sailed on, with a strong following wind, maybe 8 - 10 knots?
Monday night 20 knot winds were coming down from the north. On Tuesday the winds 20 knot winds shifted to the east.

When Jay came aboard my boat in he Marquesas and had a fine smoked fish dinner. I was extremely concerned about 3/4 Time making the sail to the Dry Tortugas. The boat simply would not could not sail into the wind. I gave Jay explicit instructions to wait until the wind would shift and sail nonstop directly back to Key West. Instead he made the extra long journey to Fort Myers.

While off the coast of Fort Myers Beach he made numerous phone calls to his friends and his family letting him know he was okay and sharing good spirit. I was the last one on the list and severely warned him regarding his journey to Key West.

If I had only gone down below and retrieved my emergency rescue equipment and given it to Jay perhaps he would be alive today. Just a simple $200 device called SPOT.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:19   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing Boat found in Cuba: Lessons Learned

Don't beat yourself up mate... once he went over it was over... the spot would just have brought an earlier 'result'...
Being dragged at anything over 4kts is gonna wipe out a fit and healthy guy pretty quick...
with his handicaps he'd have moved on long before a rescue.
Slamming into the side of a hull with irregular facefulls of water soon wears one down.. even the invincible.
**** happens..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by H34 View Post
Monday night 20 knot winds were coming down from the north. On Tuesday the winds 20 knot winds shifted to the east.

When Jay came aboard my boat in he Marquesas and had a fine smoked fish dinner. I was extremely concerned about 3/4 Time making the sail to the Dry Tortugas. The boat simply would not could not sail into the wind. I gave Jay explicit instructions to wait until the wind would shift and sail nonstop directly back to Key West. Instead he made the extra long journey to Fort Myers.

While off the coast of Fort Myers Beach he made numerous phone calls to his friends and his family letting him know he was okay and sharing good spirit. I was the last one on the list and severely warned him regarding his journey to Key West.

If I had only gone down below and retrieved my emergency rescue equipment and given it to Jay perhaps he would be alive today. Just a simple $200 device called SPOT.
H 34

Don't know how much the SPOT would have helped. As I understand it the SPOT button needs to be pushed once a day. If Jay had fallen over the side the SPOT would go into standby and it's signal would stop. If only he had tethered the EPIRB to the boat too. Though also having an AIS transponnder on board might have been better backup in this case since transponder would have kept transmitting and would have helped locate him or at least his boat when the EPIRB got separated.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
He had to know he had a problem before going into the water if he retrieved his EPIRB from the bulkhead. I wouldn't think he'd have that on him unless something was up but I also didn't know him personally just going on what I've read. I wonder if he had some sort of medical emergency. What puzzles me is how did the CG not see him? Trimarans aren't that common so even one under way should have been scrutinized.
SC
I'm sure the Coast Guard will do a post search analysis of how they missed finding the boat. The search pattern they used might have it's limitations. Perhaps the assumption that they were looking for a stationary, drifting or sunk boat was the problem and not one still under sail. Another question I have is about the EPIRB. Can all EPIRBS be manually activated or are some only activated once they are in the water? Which may explain why it was in the water and not found on the boat.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:53   #14

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Sad end to a story lots of us have followed with interest and hopes of a better ending.

Are relations with Cuba good enough that his family will get his body and belongings returned to them? Different circumstances than beaching in Miami.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:58   #15
H34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Are relations with Cuba good enough that his family will get his body and belongings returned to them?
The body will be recovered. I only wish his GPS would be recovered to where we could see his track. The Cuban government will not allow a salvage. Chances are 3/4 Time has been picked clean by the impoverished people of Cuba.
Closed Thread

Tags
Cuba