Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 02:37   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Messing Up a Med Moor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
To expand on this a little, it also helps to ease the stern lines before dropping the lazy lines. Typically we have about 3' of gap between the stern and quay because that's about how long our gangway board reaches. There is no reason why you can't increase that to 6' before dropping them.

Another reason why I typically wouldn't drop my stern lines before the lazy's is wind or current. If there's a lot of wind on the beam, you can easily make the bow's start an arc towards windward while dropping the remaining stern line which will get you about straight by the time your stern passes the neighbors bow. Otherwise I'd be all over the leeward boat.
Similar to what we do (me at the helm, admiral doing the lines):

We bring tension on the mooring lines and ease the stern lines to get at least 1.5-2 meter away from the dock. The more the better. This takes a few minutes but the less distance to exit the berth the easier this becomes.

We make sure we are clear of any slime line and engange engines in forward.
The admiral eases the leeward mooring line and drops it if the boat is is stable. Then the admiral does the same with the windward mooring line.
The boat is held in position by the stern lines and both engine in forward.

Admiral unties the leeward stern line. The throttles now need some attention to keep the boat in position with only one stern line. I use the throttle to point the boat just a bit windward to make exiting easier.
As the admiral unties the windward stern line we move out of the berth, again needing some throttle adjustment to make a straight line and not run over the neighbor's lines.

That way everything is under control (or at least I have the illusion of being in control). So far we never snagged a line or bumped into anything.

In our previous cat with saildrive in front of rudders it made sense to turn the wheel hard over to make use of the prop wash. That way the cat could get out of berth straight even with a bit of wind from the side.
With the Mahe (saildrive aft of the rudder) this no longer works, so I just use the engines and use more fenders at the stern.

Obviously I have the better job as the admiral does all the work and I just play with the controls
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I hate Med mooring, and even more its evil cousin, Baltic mooring. I do recognize that it greatly conserves quay space, so I guess it's not going to disappear anytime soon.

It's really hard on my boat because (a) the lazy line buoys are usually too short for us; and (b) I have about 2 meters of freeboard at the bow, so leaping to the quay in time to get a line on is just not realistic, not to mention a risk of a broken leg. And in general, it is ridiculous in a cross wind. For a smaller boat, it might be ok as you just settle onto the leeward boat, but for us that's just rude to the other sailor. It's marginally ok in calm conditions and when a friendly neighbor is on the quay to take your bow line, but otherwise I just prefer to anchor out.

One thing which has helped greatly is a magic boathook which threads your line through the buoy eye (no slime lines in the Baltic; just buoys with eyes on top for your own line). "Hook N Moor" I think it's called; costs a fortune and worth every penny. It is so effective that I can even leave the helm to pop the line on. This I have led through a cleat at the windward quarter, back to an electric primary winch. Presto, one finger control from the helm -- of the stern of the boat. But you still have to get a bow line on. And if the buoy is not far enough back, as usual, you can't hold the stern much from blowing off to leeward into the next buoy and possibly boat. Bleh.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I just walked the routine in the back clinic. Holding my tablet in hand.... I followed Palarrans directions.

Must have been talking out loud to myself whist doing it because when I looked up...... All 3 staff were watching me from the door.

"Im just trying to follow instructions for med moorings in a Catamaran."

They looked at each other.

"but there is no Catamaran in here" said Tracey..."In fact, there is no water in here"

Knowing I could not win, I simply said "Oh piss off!" and left the room amidst a chorus of giggles and laughter.....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:56   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
"Im just trying to follow instructions for med moorings in a Catamaran."

They looked at each other.

"but there is no Catamaran in here" said Tracey..."In fact, there is no water in here"
ROFL
That kind of self-entertainment could be your ticket for another type of clinic, the one with locked doors and very cozy jackets
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:26   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I often walk through aircraft and driving procedures. It actually makes the real hands on operation much easier. Its a 'simulation' for want of a better word.

Just leaves questions in the minds of observers........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:38   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Haha weavis. Maybe you should have had the staff stay around and try it with crew. Yelling at crew is an integral part of med mooring!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote