Old 10-10-2016, 01:06   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Re: Masthead Tricolor or Inhull/Pulpits Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Hi Jim a mate of mine (Wayne on Ambler) came up with a cunning plan of wrapping a green and red LED strip around the mast. 1 meter apart. Sounds like a smart way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
What about the mainsail track?

Jim

Old 10-10-2016, 01:40   #32

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No length restriction on red over green. But they can only be used with sidelights, not with a tricolour.
StuM, thanks but I am a little confused (again) . Is that R over G. plus the trilight or instead of.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:25   #33

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
What about the mainsail track?

Jim
The plan is just to cut the strip, or wrap it back on itself where the track is. Ideally a smart company could make a self adhesive wrap around solution that could be trimmed to size.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-10-2016, 05:58   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
StuM, thanks but I am a little confused (again) . Is that R over G. plus the trilight or instead of.
Neither

As a sailing vessel (i.e. when not under power) underway at night:

You must have a sternlight. (unless you have a tricolour)

If 20 meters or over, you must have sidelights.

If under 20 meters, you must have either sidelights or a tricolour (but not both).

If you have sidelights, you can have red over green as well.

If you have tricolour instead of sidelights, you can't have red over green.

If under power, your only option is sidelights (not tricolour) and in addition you must display a white "masthead" light.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:25   #35

Re: masthead tricolor or inhull/pulpits running lights

"Motoring: bi-color plus anchor light as steaming light"
This configuration will leave you exposed when traffic is closing from the stern.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:53   #36

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Neither

As a sailing vessel (i.e. when not under power) underway at night:

You must have a sternlight. (unless you have a tricolour)

If 20 meters or over, you must have sidelights.

If under 20 meters, you must have either sidelights or a tricolour (but not both).

If you have sidelights, you can have red over green as well.

If you have tricolour instead of sidelights, you can't have red over green.

If under power, your only option is sidelights (not tricolour) and in addition you must display a white "masthead" light.
StuM. This is almost semantics but not quite. I just looked at Rule 23 of the Colregs.
It seems to say that for powered boats under 20. Masthead light forward and a separate stern light as opposed to white alround.
What do you think ?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40   #37

I have both masted and deck runing lights, and like most I use mashead lights offshore under sail. But when far offsore during a passage, I use only a very bright white LED mooring light, and switch to my tricolor mashead when spotting another vessel. White light are seen form much farther away then the tricolor and offer a much better chance of beeing seen from the deck of a merchant vessel. I have checked with cargo ship and I was seen over 10 miles away with my mashead light at 65 ft above LWL. We have to keep inmind that all vessel run radar all the time, are equiped with AIS so they and you can figure out the situation in real time. By the way, deck running light at 6 ft above water can hardly be seen from far in a seaway when the bow is often in trough of waves.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47   #38

Location: El Ciudad del Mission San Diego de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Masthead Tricolor or Inhull/Pulpits Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
"Motoring: bi-color plus anchor light as steaming light"

This configuration will leave you exposed when traffic is closing from the stern.

Not so, 2 amber lights at deck level on the stern. Calls attention to the vessel and prompts folks closing from the stern to look for the white light.

Actually 6 Amber all the way around so deck level lights too when running the tri-color.

Amber is an unused color in the COLREGS which is why most tugs that I have seen cover their deck lights with amber lenses. I usually see the myriad deck lights first unless the tug is coming up over the horizon and I see the higher nav lights first.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:48   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mounted a bicolor on the pulpit. Used a commercial bracket. Had to pull the pulpit and drill hole in one of the mounting pads and in the center of pulpit to run wire internally. If you run an asymmetric off a sprit, have to be careful.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:11   #40

Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The main reason for using a tricolor has not been mentioned -- preserving your night vision.

Deck-level nav lights kill it.

But as others have said -- you have no choice about having deck level ones. You must have them, as no other are allowed together with a steaming light when motoring.

I use deck level nav lights in inshore waters, and tricolor offshore.
Not necessarily... I can't even see my bow AquaSignal bow lights ... maybe some reflections off stainless steel pulpit...

Motoring around a dark harbor on a moonless nights you need LOW lights to be seen by small boats and dinks whose skippers may be dodging moored / anchored boats and not looking up into the sky! Anyway... motoring you have to have a white over the red/green... so no tricolor.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:37   #41

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Masthead Tricolor or Inhull/Pulpits Running Lights

Dual deck lights - LED AND 60 watt incandescent.

Red over green LED mast lights.

Incandescent 60 watt steaming lights.

LED anchor lights on pulpit and pushpit.

My reasoning is LED does not stand out against the mass of busy port lights. Nothing like a 60 watt incandescent to catch the eye of a fast ferry.

When motoring I am pumping out Amps so incandescent is sustainable. I am usually not sailing around port areas.

Away from traffic the LEDs are adequate and lower power consumption a benefit.

The cost of 60 watt incandescents has plummeted in recent years and can be picked up cheaply.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-10-2016, 09:39   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Not necessarily... I can't even see my bow AquaSignal bow lights ... maybe some reflections off stainless steel pulpit...

Motoring around a dark harbor on a moonless nights you need LOW lights to be seen by small boats and dinks whose skippers may be dodging moored / anchored boats and not looking up into the sky! Anyway... motoring you have to have a white over the red/green... so no tricolor.
Sandero & Dockhead,
What promoted my OP is actually this night vision issue. My current in-hull
mounted stern light is inboard of my back stay slightly and really offensive to night vision at the helm. So I am about to move it up to the stern rail facing straight out to sea. However since it will be a 2NM much brighter LED than the old incandescent, even that gives me pause. l

Of more concern is mounting the bow lights up on the bow pulpit rail rather than keeping them where they are now lower down in the hull. Again since they will be much brighter, could they shine on the headsail DDW ruining the helmsperson's night vision?
Old 10-10-2016, 17:45   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
StuM. This is almost semantics but not quite. I just looked at Rule 23 of the Colregs.
It seems to say that for powered boats under 20. Masthead light forward and a separate stern light as opposed to white alround.
What do you think ?
You need two separate lights if you are over 12 meters.
Under 12 meters, you can have either.

"(i). A power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this
Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights;
"

Specifically

(a). A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit:
(i). a masthead light forward;
(iii). sidelights;
(iv). a sternlight.

“Sternlight” means a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern ...
Old 10-10-2016, 19:47   #44

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

There have been objections and complaints on this forum about masthead anchor lights. The claim is when motoring through an anchorage in a dinghy on a dark night the high up position of the anchor light makes it out of the range of where dinghy drivers are looking. They are looking straight ahead while the masthead light is up when relatively close in. The old fashioned way was to lash the anchor light to a forestay head high off the deck. Makes sense to me. F
Old 10-10-2016, 20:25   #45

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

I am confused (of course).

Ok, I have a masthead white light.
I have a bicolor mounted about 3/4 up the forward face of the mast column on a small platform.
I have nav lights on the freeboard either side of the bow.
I have a white light on the stern face, about 3 feet above the waterline.
I have spreader lights (or will soon, currently there is one dangling by a wire).

What can I say, the boat was disheveled at best when I got her and put her up on the stands. The previous owners did not do much but destroy the wiring and eliminate much chance of me knowing what most of the wire in the engine compartment goes to. I have yet to get the starter panel correctly rebuilt, though the starter switch does work (and I have no buzzer or oil signal light, nor pressure or temp gauges, fuel gauges, etc, they are missing though wiring seems present if unlabeled) but that is another thread.

Now, the stern light, is it proper or is it supposed to be on a stanchion or pole of some sort that mounts on the top of the transom? There is a hole for a temporary one (that the PO filled with silicone after running a VHF cable out of it to mount that antenna - which I am moving to the mast during my rewire of the mast itself - on the cockpit railing!). Am I correct that the stern light on the back of the transom is NOT acceptable as a "stern light" for the purposes of our discussion here? Am I going to need to get a proper stern light on a pole, and how do I prevent that thing from blinding me at night?

Second, the masthead light. It is white, and currently is on a dedicated and isolated switch. If I read here correctly, that light is supposed to be on when anchored, but is it also supposed to be on when moving under sail alone (along with the bicolors on the mast)?

I am considering putting all the steaming lights on one switch and the sailing lights on another, with the masthead light, the low stern light, and the spreader lights on individual switches. This would leave the masthead light on its own switch still (so that I could signal the anchoring situation). Is this the right way to handle this?

SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, hull, mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: