Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2019, 01:25   #16

Re: Maneuvering a FORMOSA 41?

Well what can I say?
I have been blown away by the response. And to think I expected to wake up to zero replies!
A big thank you to everyone for their advice, it’s much appreciated.
More than a few of you advised against using reverse (unless absolutely necessary) it left me wondering how on earth people in the med moor up stern in as one has to over there?? I would imagine a couple of Valium and comprehensive insurance would be the order of battle......or a bow thruster of course.
I'm going to open a new thread for info on Formosa 41's sailing speed as a few of you mentioned they are pretty dire in light winds. I'd like some feedback on just what sort of speeds one can expect for a given wind speed.
Please feel free to chip in if you can help I'd really appreciate it.
clayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 03:06   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

RE Med mooring: There is no rule that says you must moor stern to. In the tight places, going in bow first with a good stern anchor might be a viable alternative. Some European boats have bow pulpits designed to incorporate a passerelle for just that usage.

To me, being bow in gives a wee tad of privacy that is hard to get with your cockpit and companionway facing the crowds, only a few meters away. But, we have very seldom been forced into such schemes, not having cruised in the Med!

Jim
Old 16-03-2019, 07:22   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayjay View Post
Well what can I say?
I have been blown away by the response. And to think I expected to wake up to zero replies!
A big thank you to everyone for their advice, it’s much appreciated.
More than a few of you advised against using reverse (unless absolutely necessary) it left me wondering how on earth people in the med moor up stern in as one has to over there?? I would imagine a couple of Valium and comprehensive insurance would be the order of battle......or a bow thruster of course.
I'm going to open a new thread for info on Formosa 41's sailing speed as a few of you mentioned they are pretty dire in light winds. I'd like some feedback on just what sort of speeds one can expect for a given wind speed.
Please feel free to chip in if you can help I'd really appreciate it.
formosa 41 are not the pig folks consider them to being. you would be surprised what a human being can do to make boat do what you wish it to do. bow thruster not necessary unless you cannot figure out how to move a boat.
as for light airs, when sailing and drifting to zihuatenejo from barra de navidad, a downhill run, winds, which on pacific ocean can be light puffs of air, didnot always kick in at 20 kts, so we sailed and drifted downhill and motored uphill. the lightest air was under 5 kts, so we drifted on current. current off west coast is 1-4 kts southerly drift.
there fore we made 1-4 kts accordingly.
donot try drifting against current as that does not work. that is engine time.
designed to sail trade winds, not dinghy sailing air. i go out when winds are to be over 10 kts. with 10 kts breeze i make 3 kts
with 20-30 kts i make 4-6 kts and in 60+ kt chubascos we made 8.4 kts.
your money , your decision. each of these is made individually, there is nothing production about them and no two are identical. however they all do sail similarly.
if you want a boat to sail tradewinds it is going to be a lil slow in light air. if you want a boat fro light air, you go into port when winds get to be fun. choice is yours to make. the stability and heaviness are what decided me to use formosa over ericson 35mII for cruising. i can manage my formosa sola from cockpit. jib n jigger heavy air with fun and stability. can cook underway in weather. comfortable interior and classy teak. split rig for ease of handling in weather.
and if you choose the right one you may have many good luck dragons decorating your life and helping guide your way thru seas. what is not to love.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 09:52   #19

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
formosa 41 are not the pig folks consider them to being. .... i go out when winds are to be over 10 kts. with 10 kts breeze i make 3 kts
with 20-30 kts i make 4-6 kts .
Not bashing Formosas, but isn't the above pretty much a textbook definition of a "pig"?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 10:49   #20

could be iff you are into fast and planing hulls. for comfort in a sea and in weather, cannot beat piggies. they just not bacon seeds.. hahahahaha
everyones history in sailing is different--mine was on board engineless gaff rigged 100 plus year old one design sailing craft. nothing was immediate and all well thought out before effecting. therefore pig as a boat is not recognized. ye have safe and heavy or you have too damned fast and with cored hulls. benefit of these heavy jewels is that their hulls are SOLID hand laid fg. thick n tough. mine was laid over on santa barbaras breakwall for a week by a previous and then nonexistent owner, salvaged, used for another 600 miles then i got her and is still awesomely intact. not any external sign of that incident. furycame patricia didnot hurt my hull in any way and bird was laid over on her boarding ladder the dock in the marina during second half, when winds were 215 mph and gusting to 250 plus. not even a ding in her fg.
this is almost as good as the bacon seed kind...
Old 16-03-2019, 11:05   #21

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
formosa 41 are not the pig folks consider them to being. . i go out when winds are to be over 10 kts. with 10 kts breeze i make 3 kts
with 20-30 kts i make 4-6 kts and in 60+ kt chubascos we made 8.4 kts
My HC38 is quite a bit more responsive to moving in lighter airs - but otherwise I generally agree with Zeehag
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 12:40   #22

most fun is going out deliberately as the light air boats are fleeing from the fun to be had and back into their slips..i run out and play. never daysail, but distance making is a lot easier in a decent sailing breeze, or over 20 kts
i even row only in wind hahahahaha practicing for birdee finally again moving out....
Old 16-03-2019, 22:01   #23

Sailing a 41 Islander ketch, heavy and turns slowly... bowthruster is the key
Privateer III, Perdido Key, FL
TNRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:25   #24

Boat: Formosa CC 41
Cool Re: Maneuvering a FORMOSA 41?

I know this is an old thread, but i only got to sail my Formosa 41 in December for the first time...
We sailed 3 times. First was light air in around 8 - 12 kts of breeze and reasonably flat seas for Hout Bay. We achieved 4 - 5,5 kts boatspeed with full sails.
The beauty is that 45 Deg off the wind one can lock the helm off and make some tea, fish whatever. She sails to the wind and keeps it there.
Second sail was in 20 - 25kts or so under 50% reefed Genoa and mizzen.
We got a shade over 7kts regularly broad reaching. Would have been better with Mizzen reefed or doused in those conditions...
Generally the impression was of strength and security.
As for docking, whilst I am still pretty concerned of the day i must dock in heavier winds, so far she seems to behave and do what she is told.
Generally i really like my Formosa and long to put many more miles on..
Douglby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa