Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-06-2015, 19:55   #76

Re: Man dies dragged by sailboat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
People laugh at me I single hand and wear a helmet.
Im not laughing either. The post that replied to you uses the same arguments I use for people wanting to wear a fullface helmet while riding a little motorbike but have fear of the fashion police. You can choose to save your life or choose to please others' sense of whats "nice." Nevermind them, save your life no matter how absurd it looks or how much seemingly overkill it is. Doing so increases confidence in the duty and we sure need that always.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:04   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
Yeah knee pads are a great idea. I'm always forgetting them it seems.

My boat gets kind of tossed around at times. Even when it's not getting tossed around it seems kind of odd to stand up and walk around on deck.

Under sail when going forward for me it's more of a crawl than anything else most of the time. When the boat is getting tossed around every movement becomes a chore and requires singular focus to avoid getting banged up and using more energy than necessary.

But I like that usually. I find a certain meditative pace to having to place each hand and foot individually and carefully while predicting what the next move will be. It's very much like rock climbing.

When it's tossing like that I'm almost always connected to the boat even in the cockpit. With the long tether on the padeye at the hatch I can steer the boat, tack the boat, get up to the mast etc. If I need to go forward for a sail change I'll clip to the jackline which is a permanently attached wire on my boat.

Another thing I've done is to weave a net from the toe rail to the top of the life line aft to the mast and then from the toe rail to the middle life line aft of that until getting to the cockpit where it's laced to the top again. The cockpit actually has weather cloth's on the lower half which I'd like to ultimately carry all the way around the stern. The weather cloth's really add to the sense of security in the cockpit. The only way you're falling out of the cockpit is to go up over the rail.

This lace is done with Amsteel and it's plenty strong enough to hold you should you get pushed over the side by a wave. I figure several strands would catch you so even with a heavy hit you'll be prevented from going over. You can see some of this in the picture attached.

I've gotten very comfortable with the lacing and when I step on a boat that doesn't have it, which is most, I feel exposed to the sea. It seems odd and unsafe to me to have those wide open spaces under the lifelines.

It's also very convenient in other ways. I can toss bumpers up onto the deck and they don't fall over. I can set a sail up there and it doesn't fall over. Groceries, water bottles, gear, etc are all easier to deal with when you don't have to worry about them falling over the side.

You've all seen this on racing boats on the foredeck to keep sails aboard. All I did was to make it crazy strong using Amsteel and bring it all the way aft but leave the midsection upper lifeline free so that you can reach through to run a buoy line or whatever.

If you've done this and you are crawling on your knees you are very unlikely to go over the side. If for some reason you do you'll have to go up over the lifelines and the tether will keep you from going much farther whereas without it you can be washed right through the lifelines at deck level and possibly drown quickly if your tether is too long.

Of course none of that takes care of the problem of letting your guard down in calm weather. I just keep reminding myself that death awaits me on the other side of the rail and that one little gasoline powered wave unseen and coming from a boat over the horizon can throw you over the side as it disturbs the otherwise regular motion you may have adjusted to. So I use the harness when it's almost ridiculous to do so, and if I'm not clipped in I'm down on my knees.

But we're thread drifting I guess. It sounds like this story started with going aloft. That brings up another can of worms in my infinite list of opinions. I go aloft in a climbing harness. There's no possibility of falling then but of course you could still get banged up. A climbing helmet might not be a bad idea for going aloft at sea. One of my peeves has been steps on the mast. So you climb up those 'oh so useful' steps and get to where you need to do something then you let go and start working on the thing.....? Steps on the mast.... don't get me started with steps on the mast.
We always have mast steps - have retro installed them on the used boats we have bought. Regardless, we normally also use a climbing harness and a halyard as a precaution. Once in a while one of us has been aloft using just the steps - not the best practice I admit.
Climbing helmets.....has anyone else read Tania Abei's book of sailing around the world alone? She mentions another single hander that she was friends with that she saw behaving 'oddly' in the Red Sea and she could see him at the mast head. It later turned out the guy had crashed his head into the mast and died suspended near the mast head. I am sure many of us have been up the mast for various reasons in bad weather and it is not nice - perhaps I also need to get a helmet, cyclists or climbing etc.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:22   #78
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Man dies dragged by sailboat,

Ahhh.. The Perfect Storm Syndrome..
Just take a deep lungfull of water and get it over with.. drowning is quite painless
Resuccicitation hurts like hell

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:02   #79

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

While something as tragic as this can never end on a positive note, I wanted to update the thread with examples of human goodness. The boat in question was found adrift by a vessel returning to key west. He took it in tow and upon learning of the events leading to its abandonment, donated the tow and refused to make a salvage claim. A marina in key west/stock island donated slip space to store the boat for the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-06-2015, 09:32   #80

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
While something as tragic as this can never end on a positive note, I wanted to update the thread with examples of human goodness. The boat in question was found adrift by a vessel returning to key west. He took it in tow and upon learning of the events leading to its abandonment, donated the tow and refused to make a salvage claim. A marina in key west/stock island donated slip space to store the boat for the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks for adding this. That is good news and a good example of compassion among sailors.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:04   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

That is comforting to read...............

Tags
sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: