Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2014, 01:25   #31

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Making Progress Upwind in Strong Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

The wind just increased all day long, and was over 30 by the time we got to Utlangan. I expected that when we turned the corner, the torture would finally be over, but nooooo -- beam to the seas, we got tossed around, green water in the cockpit. At least we had a nice downwind sail into the harbor, all the way to within a cable of the dock!

Sigh! Dockhead, I'm afraid this is just about as normal as it can get. I happens to everyone. You look intensly at that corner, work on some angles re the wind and waves and think "gee, you know - when we get around that, we'll be on a broad reach, and we'll get some relief from the waves."

Dream on, my friend. It never happens. At least not there LOL

Karlskrona is ok- there are some supermarkets up near Stortorget and there's an ice cream shoppe up there that all the locals rave about.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 02:53   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Here's a pic from today's earth.nullschool.net for your area. Doesn't look like fun. Good luck.
Indeed. The North Sea is a tough bitch of a piece of water. This week, her gales are spilling over into the usually much more placid Baltic.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 04:29   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Sigh! Dockhead, I'm afraid this is just about as normal as it can get. I happens to everyone. You look intensly at that corner, work on some angles re the wind and waves and think "gee, you know - when we get around that, we'll be on a broad reach, and we'll get some relief from the waves."

Dream on, my friend. It never happens. At least not there LOL
LOL, yes, well, it's still a piece of p*** (as the locals there would say) compared to the English Channel. Even in that yesterday I don't think we saw any seas bigger than maybe 4 meters. They are just short and steep -- I can't imagine why and wish someone could explain it. Why do I get green water washing my decks and even down my dorades in such waves, when in the Channel with the mountainous seas we get sometimes, never?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 06:20   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
LOL, yes, well, it's still a piece of p*** (as the locals there would say) compared to the English Channel. Even in that yesterday I don't think we saw any seas bigger than maybe 4 meters. They are just short and steep -- I can't imagine why and wish someone could explain it. Why do I get green water washing my decks and even down my dorades in such waves, when in the Channel with the mountainous seas we get sometimes, never?
I wish I could give you a definitive answer. I don't know for sure, but it has a lot to do with how shallow the Baltic is. Up around Gotland it is say 130 meters deep. Most other places it is only 50-60 meters deep. So the winds whip up te waves and they come at you almost as if they are square. VEry steep and very close together. 4 meters is a big waves in here. BE happy you were'nt in th Hammerhavet near Bornholm, where you get wind over tide/current - Now that's entertaining!

Greenies on the foredeck are a fact of life up here. When the weather gets up I turn my dorades around. that helps. This summer I put the plugs in a couple of times.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 08:32   #35

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Great stuff. Thank you, Evans!
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind