Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 14:46   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Mad as Hell

I don't mean this to be political at all. I was just watching the BBC America news feed and the police had just confiscated 100's of lifejackets. The reason -- they were filled with stuffing not something that would provide bouyancy. What kind of Sick F$^& would do that to any human being is beyond me.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35241813

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 15:03   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Mad as Hell

Well, it is political and will likely get moved to that forum. As to the sentiment, I agree. It's not only that they are making unsafe and fake life jackets, but that they are specifically targeting a group that is fleeing and putting their children's lives at risk because they feel they are not safe in their homes. People who prey on others like this are the worse kind because they know the refugees have few choices left.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 15:22   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

150 bucks for a jacket that you can buy at WalMart for 10 bucks!
Even West Marine has them for less than $20.
If charities are stashing water in the Arizona desert for illegals, can't some charity give out free vests?
Not saying the "imigrants" should flood Europe, but at least try to save their lives before sending them back.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 15:42   #4

@gmayun I was trying to avoid it being political so I didn't mention the targeting part but that really bothers me alot. Keel hauling is too good for people who prey on refugees

@ Bill. I won't speak on the imigrant part but to charge $150 for a $10 lifejacket that doesn't even work. That sets my blood to boil.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 06-01-2016, 15:55   #5
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

It pays to have proper saftey equipment when invading someone elses country
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 16:05   #6

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Oh boy, get ready lol. The Lefty Libs are going to jump all over ya. I on the other hand concur.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 16:08   #7

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
Oh boy, get ready lol. The Lefty Libs are going to jump all over ya. I on the other hand concur.
I really know I shouldn't say anything, but for the love of God it's not about being left or right, it's about being a decent human being, trying to help those who have nothing and are literally fleeing for their lives.
Old 06-01-2016, 16:13   #8

Here here Crazer 100% agree

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 06-01-2016, 16:35   #9

Well maybe they should fight for their own country rather then waiting for our guys to get shot up just for them to still be ungrateful and want to chop our heads off in the end. My German plumber talks to his family back in the Fatherland and they say its a disaster. What a mess. And no I don't want to see little kids drown. Just sayin
Old 06-01-2016, 16:38   #10

I'll step away, I lost some compassion because I lost a lot of friends on 9/11 who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, so maybe I'm out of line. I'll shut up sorry
Old 06-01-2016, 16:43   #11

Boat: Rinker 24

I would suggest it is not political at all, it is economic.

This is not the first time a manufacturer has knowingly substituted faulty or improper materials and it is NOT a conservative/liberal item, as greed infects both philosophies.

Most recently the maker Takata has admitted faulty airbags that have killed people (not by failing to go off, they explode and people look like they have been shot, sometimes just sitting at a stop light)

You can also look up "Ford pinto memo", nutshell version is a cost/benefit analysis memo was circulated among Ford upper management showing that it would be cheaper to have approximately 180 people burn to death than it would be to pay $11 to fix each vehicle.

Anyway, it is a horrible tragedy and unconscionable for people to do this sort of thing but the fact is it has been going on ever since Ogg sold Thag a saber tooth tiger spear that he knew was made from cheap and fragile wood. The SOB even charged him 100 frogskins for it at a time you could purchase a tiger spear from a reputable maker for only 20 frogskins.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 17:11   #12

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Money quote.

Quote:
Well maybe they should fight for their own country rather then waiting for our guys to get shot up just for them to still be ungrateful and want to chop our heads off in the end. My German plumber talks to his family back in the Fatherland and they say its a disaster. What a mess. And no I don't want to see little kids drown. Just sayin
Yep, I've thought that myself.

Quote:
I'll step away, I lost some compassion because I lost a lot of friends on 9/11 who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, so maybe I'm out of line. I'll shut up sorry
Naw man speak your mind, stand up for your beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
I would suggest it is not political at all, it is economic.

This is not the first time a manufacturer has knowingly substituted faulty or improper materials and it is NOT a conservative/liberal item, as greed infects both philosophies.

Most recently the maker Takata has admitted faulty airbags that have killed people (not by failing to go off, they explode and people look like they have been shot, sometimes just sitting at a stop light)

You can also look up "Ford pinto memo", nutshell version is a cost/benefit analysis memo was circulated among Ford upper management showing that it would be cheaper to have approximately 180 people burn to death than it would be to pay $11 to fix each vehicle.

Anyway, it is a horrible tragedy and unconscionable for people to do this sort of thing but the fact is it has been going on ever since Ogg sold Thag a saber tooth tiger spear that he knew was made from cheap and fragile wood. The SOB even charged him 100 frogskins for it at a time you could purchase a tiger spear from a reputable maker for only 20 frogskins.
Yep just some folks trying to make a quick buck. If 1 out of 5 never even make it to the water they're OK with that.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 17:41   #13

It's criminal negligence, and fraud, and I hope they get nailed hard for it.

And I hope the "political leaders" who created the situation get even worse.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 21:07   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

politics aside - selling faulty safety equipment should be punished heavily.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:55   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
politics aside - selling faulty safety equipment should be punished heavily.
Some of your responses make it sound like you think this was a legitimate business selling faulty equipment. I grew up in a newsroom so maybe it's just ingrained in me to read between the lines, but it sounds like some old warehouse was set up in a port area with lots of migrants to take advantage of the situation. The article says, "Officers raided a workshop in the port of Izmir...a major hub for refugees and migrants" and where two young Syrian girls were found working inside. Even if the Turkish translation of "factory" came out as workshop, one would think they would name the business had it been legit. This is bottom feeding off the most disadvantaged. Officials will likely never find the people who really made money off this scheme...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote