Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 09:07   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Lowering Main in a Blow w/o Engine

Quote:
I use the same technique for getting the main up without engine or for for reefing.
For raising sail w/o engine- how do you turn into the wind?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:29   #17

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

'Good to read your post Lin!
On my tall rig, threading a light line through the reef cringles worked really well to coax the main down in 25+kts to reef quickly 'out there'. I'm was very grateful that Alan at SeaTek in So.Cal. convinced me to modify the mast and install TidesMarine luff track. He ground off the 'neck' extrusion on the mast that previously the main luff slugs ran up/down in and installed the new slick track. Even in 30+kts with the main plastered against the spreaders while sailing downwind, I could pull the main down fairly quickly with the line threaded through the reef cringles.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:41   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Situation:
Wind picks up suddenly and you'd like to drop the main or lower it to reef, but the engine won't start (or there is no engine) How do you get the main down if you can't point into the wind? I'm assuming internal mast cars, which is what I have.
Center the boom then sheet the main in all the way. The boat will then swing into the wind as close as it will go.

You can then drop the main even though you won't be as close to the wind as you normally would be. You'll have to ease the sheet when you are ready to drop.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:49   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've been sailing for over 50 years and never ever in all that time and many thousands of mile did I even thisnk about turning the engine on to reef the main. That is just a totally foreign idea that I still can't see why anyone would think it was necessary. If your sail track is so sticky you can't pull the sail down you should be thinking about some maintenance/replacement so the sail will come down.

The engine to me is something that I use to get in and out of the slip and powering when the air is too light to sail. The one time I got myself into a situation that I needed the engine to get myself out of it, the damned battery died and I couldn't start it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:17   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I've been sailing for over 50 years and never ever in all that time and many thousands of mile did I even thisnk about turning the engine on to reef the main. That is just a totally foreign idea that I still can't see why anyone would think it was necessary. If your sail track is so sticky you can't pull the sail down you should be thinking about some maintenance/replacement so the sail will come down.

The engine to me is something that I use to get in and out of the slip and powering when the air is too light to sail. The one time I got myself into a situation that I needed the engine to get myself out of it, the damned battery died and I couldn't start it.
Got point! It is a sailboat after all.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:31   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Just a thought on safety. On any boat, if you let go the steering, she should round up to weather and com to a stop, If it doesn't do that you need to re-tune the rig. If not and you get overpowered in a squall you can find yourself locked on a course with no response to steering and out of control. I speak from experience, not fun, and why you always have an anchor rigged in confined waters...
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45   #22

Aside from an approaching funnel like you may encounter near Mooloolaba, Australia, entirely dropping a mainsail is a poor choice. I've only witnessed a single sailboat that could heave-to under foresail alone. It's probably the case 99% of boats cannot safely heave-to without a main. The sailboat I observed hove-to with no main and only a foresail deployed was south of Capetown, S.A.. The heavy displacement boat was from the U.S. east coast and most likely built many years ago for fishing.

Once your main is down, getting it back up without an engine in strong wind is nigh impossible. Especially if the sea state is such that waves are also affecting the orientation of your boat in relation to the wind.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:03   #23

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

I'm listening carefully here as I'll be converting my Freedom schooner to wishbones soon for many reasons, including eliminating vangs, cunninghams and travelers, allowing for boom-less jibing safety, easy sail reefing, hoisting and dropping, and the ability to let the boom out past 90 degrees on a reach or downwind. Much as nonsuch's can
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 14:03   #24

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

Something that always helps is to lubricate your luff groove . Occasionally go up your mast , clean and spray one of the many good lubricants ( PTFE or Teflon ) into the luff groove. Start at the top and work your way down . I use a clear dry film lubricant . No mess .
It makes a huge difference .
ALLAN WARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 15:27   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Aside from an approaching funnel like you may encounter near Mooloolaba, Australia, entirely dropping a mainsail is a poor choice. I've only witnessed a single sailboat that could heave-to under foresail alone. It's probably the case 99% of boats cannot safely heave-to without a main. The sailboat I observed hove-to with no main and only a foresail deployed was south of Capetown, S.A.. The heavy displacement boat was from the U.S. east coast and most likely built many years ago for fishing.

Once your main is down, getting it back up without an engine in strong wind is nigh impossible. Especially if the sea state is such that waves are also affecting the orientation of your boat in relation to the wind.
This is the post that most nearly describes my experience. We have installed strong track on the big boat and that helps.

I also swear a great deal.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 19:45   #26
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Peter,
Good post and I totally agree with you but think it's ironic that you suggest proper maintenance of the sail track then continue with having a dead battery when you did need it. I know it happens it was just funny to read it together.
Old 02-03-2015, 22:54   #27

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Situation:
Wind picks up suddenly and you'd like to drop the main or lower it to reef, but the engine won't start (or there is no engine) How do you get the main down if you can't point into the wind? I'm assuming internal mast cars, which is what I have.
I DON'T point into the wind, at least not beyond close-hull. My genoa is rolled as small as needed, but I still keep some sail in front. I let go the main & reef it remembering that the boom can be deadly when the sailboat rolls & it will roll for more wind means more waves & my sailboat is not steadied any more by the mainsail.
Tabarly -the most famous French sailor- was thrown overboard by his gaff or boom while reefing the main on his traditional PenDuik cutter. He was alone knowing anything about sailing with 3 people who didn't know the stern from the bow & he was lost...
PS: On my Ericson 34, I need to go on deck only for the first reef; second & third reefs can be rigged from the cockpit safety... cool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendwick.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	98236  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 00:05   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

While this might be your experience, we have had a different experience. We can unfurl our Solent jib, and reach up with it, then hoist the mainsail. To do it, we let the mainsheet run, till it's hoisted, all 55 sq. m. of it, which is a bit of a grunt, and all is well.

To drop it, which was the OP's question, we'll come up under whichever heads'l we're using, till the main luffs, and then drop it, continuing under the heads'l.

We do have a boom bag and lazy jacks, so the sail is temporarily secured within it.

Ann
Old 03-03-2015, 06:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
While this might be your experience, we have had a different experience. We can unfurl our Solent jib, and reach up with it, then hoist the mainsail. To do it, we let the mainsheet run, till it's hoisted, all 55 sq. m. of it, which is a bit of a grunt, and all is well.

To drop it, which was the OP's question, we'll come up under whichever heads'l we're using, till the main luffs, and then drop it, continuing under the heads'l.

We do have a boom bag and lazy jacks, so the sail is temporarily secured within it.

Ann
"...lowering main IN A BLOW..." Lot's of variables to consider here. But first, the main is assumed to be fully deployed. Second the OP left considerable room for interpretation since the question does not specifically ask about reefing. Thus the reason for my precautionary post.

Also, what kind of wind strength and waves are we to consider are present in "A BLOW". What is the length and displacement of the boat? Is the foresail on a roller furling system or hanked on? How is the mainsail secured to the mast? Are there battens, and if so what type? What kind of clearance is there between the mainsail leech, aft lower shrouds and probability given the wind direction the leech will foul in them?

Your experience is different from mine because there's a huge difference in the variables mentioned above.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53   #30

Boat: Searunner, 37'

As a racing sailor I believe all sailboats should be fitted with jiffy reefing. It is the simplest and easiest way to reef. You do not need to change course/heading. The process is: ease the mainsheet so the main luffs, lower the main to the reef point desired and attached the reef point tack. Tighten the halyard. Finally, pull in the reef line for the clew and make it tight, very tight, as this is now your outhaul. Re-sheet the main. If you have ties to secure the foot of the main to the boom do that now, or not.

The whole process takes no more than two minutes. Safe and fast.

PS: If you think it is time to reef it is probably already past the time you should have reefed.

Tags
engine