Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58   #1

Logging Sea Days for Captain's License

I know how to log time on a boat I own. I know how to log time on someone else's boat when they are with me. How do you log time when you are the Skipper / Head Charterer on a bareboat rental?
Jwh2ohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:49   #2

Re: Logging Sea Days for Captain's License

Get the manager of the charter operation to sign for your time. Recently chartered with Sunsail out of Tortola, for example, and when I asked them about having someone sign the form they were completely familiar with it and got it signed for me, no problem.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Get the manager of the charter operation to sign for your time ...
Small Vessel Sea Service Form ➥ http://www.uscg.mil/forms/cg/cg_719s.pdf

If you were not the owner, the Owner, Operator, or Master must complete the remainder of this form.

Owner, Operator or Master Read Before Signing!
I certify that the above individual has served on the above vessel as stated. I am making this statement in order that the applicant may obtain a license to operate a vessel under the provisions of Title 46 CFR, as applicable. I understand that if I make any false o fraudulent statement in this certification of service, I may be subject to a fine or imprisonment of up to five (5) years or both (18 U. S. C. 1001).

I expect that you would have qualified as the "Master"; but there's no harm in getting the Owner/Operator (Charter Co) to sign.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

my understanding is since you are the skipper, you self certify.

Dave
Old 14-12-2012, 17:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
my understanding is since you are the skipper, you self certify.

Dave
Only if you are also the owner. Otherwise, GordMay has it right.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 18:48   #6

Once you get licensed it gets a little more involved to keep track of the hours, which is one reason a lot of 100 ton guy bypass the sea time requirement and just redo the rules of the road exam. No paperwork, just a few hundred bucks for a quick test of materials you should probably re-test on anyway.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:13   #7

I will have the charter base manager sign, but I may also try to get another passenger to sign as well. Why? Logically, the charter manager can't really know if you just went around the corner and dropped the hook. I think the owner signature assumes the owner is on the boat with you. I'd rather be covered as I log day 1 instead of discover a lapse on day 360.
Jwh2ohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 10:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh2ohouse View Post
I will have the charter base manager sign, but I may also try to get another passenger to sign as well. Why? Logically, the charter manager can't really know if you just went around the corner and dropped the hook. I think the owner signature assumes the owner is on the boat with you. I'd rather be covered as I log day 1 instead of discover a lapse on day 360.
Just don't get too creative. The folks at the nmc are friendly but they expect every form to be completely exactly according to the rules.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59   #9

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran
All you have to do for sea time on a bareboat charter is include a copy of your charter agreement for the vessel with the coast guard small vessel sea service form signed by you as master.
rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

The only way to get a true answer is contacting the National Maritime Center at
IASKMNC@uscg.mil
or 1-888-427-5662.

Here is a link to a USCG PDF document on how to calculate Seatime.

When I am working on other peoples boats, I carry a few blank Seatime forms and have the owner sign it before getting off the boat.

When I am working commercially, the owner or company representative can write a Seatime Letter, which includes a description of the vessel (including tonnage), your crew position, number of days service (In or Outside COLREG Line) and of course the Owner/Captains signature.

Hope that helps and good luck with obtaining your license!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 17:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

So, way back when I was a kid, about 50 years go, I used to work on the water. I would go out every day in my boat, run out an hour or so, and jump over to catch clams. Most days we moved around a bit, or just horse around burning up gas. Then run back in. I'd run may three hours average a day out and back.

Little Egg Harbor, South of Barnegat Bay in NJ.

Over a few years of doing this 5 days a week for 10 weeks in the summer you build up some time.

How would THAT be counted? Somewhere I read anything over age 15 counts. And I was a commercial fisherman.

FWIW since then...I did a little work here and there on lobster and ocean clam boats. Did 4 years in USCG, aviation, radioman, E-6, had a runabout for a wee bit. Then some years ago got a sailboat that I have been using in summers, mostly solo, in Canada.

Last summer I did a solo, mostly, trip of 4,000 miles around Newfoundland. So I've got about 7,000 miles in the past few years. That is not enough in itself and I'm wondering how far I can go back.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 17:11   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Just don't get too creative. The folks at the nmc are friendly but they expect every form to be completely exactly according to the rules.
Didn't help me. I logged all my sea time perfectly, and then promptly flunked the color vision test.
Old 04-03-2013, 17:16   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
And I was a commercial fisherman.
Were you union? A friend of mine was able to prove his sea time through his fishing union. They apparently keep records a long time.
Old 04-03-2013, 17:17   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Naw, just a clammers kid in a runabout,
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 17:20   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
So, way back when I was a kid, about 50 years go, I used to work on the water. I would go out every day in my boat, run out an hour or so, and jump over to catch clams. Most days we moved around a bit, or just horse around burning up gas. Then run back in. I'd run may three hours average a day out and back.

Little Egg Harbor, South of Barnegat Bay in NJ.

Over a few years of doing this 5 days a week for 10 weeks in the summer you build up some time.

How would THAT be counted? Somewhere I read anything over age 15 counts. And I was a commercial fisherman.

FWIW since then...I did a little work here and there on lobster and ocean clam boats. Did 4 years in USCG, aviation, radioman, E-6, had a runabout for a wee bit. Then some years ago got a sailboat that I have been using in summers, mostly solo, in Canada.

Last summer I did a solo, mostly, trip of 4,000 miles around Newfoundland. So I've got about 7,000 miles in the past few years. That is not enough in itself and I'm wondering how far I can go back.
8 hours makes up a Sea day, though 4 hours "Can" count . a 16 hour day does not mean you get credit for two days at sea. Its kind of Funny, I believe when you calculate it all out, you have more hours getting your 100 ton ticket, than a commercial pilot is required to have.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license