Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2008, 08:33   #1

Question Locking up your boat

I've just bought small boat and wondered if anyone has any ideas on the best types of padlocks to use? I know some that claim to be waterproof fall apart with a bit of salt on them.

Would something like this weatherproof padlock suffice?

Cheers!!
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 09:02   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Around salt water, you'd want to look for a BRONZE marine-grade padlock. Bronze doesn't rust, all the "iron" and "steel" locks will, although stainless should last longer than anything except bronze. You may need to go to a boating supply, not a hardware store, to find a bronze padlock.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 09:14   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Use a small brass or bronze lock. A big one will only cause more damage if someone tries to break in. A lock on the companionway will not deter someone set on breaking in. A good whack with a hammer and the whole hasp will come off.
Old 27-06-2008, 12:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If you buy "keyed" locks (rather than combination), get a box of 10, keyed alike.
Purchased from a lock shop, they'll cost about the same as a "pair" at a hardware/big box store.
They "extras" are useful for locking the outboard to transom, dink to dock, and a host of other applications.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 13:04   #5

Boat: 1981 C&C 34
A household deadbolt will work. It is far from corrosion resistant but it does have the advantage of being on the inside. If you reinforce the drop-boards you might be able to gain a bit of security.

Pic of my setup here.
JohnWms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 13:11   #6

I rarely lock my boat and never had anything stolen. But the lock for the companionway is easily defeated anyway.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 13:18   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i think the bronze combination locks are great because you never need to worry about the key ...
Old 27-06-2008, 15:10   #8
cruiser

Watch out for Brinks brand locks that look like they'll be corrosion free (brass or bronze) in WalMart.

I bought one to use on the "land boat" and it didn't even hold up to rain, nevermind the sea.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 16:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Graphite Powder...

I use a 30mm Lockwood General Purpose padlock.

It started to rust inside and jam. I tried penetrating oil but that didn't help. Then I got some graphite powder and squirted some inside. Then a second application.

Now it's smooth as.

John - have you had any problems with rust using your household deadlock?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 16:25   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I have had good luck with the Sesame brass combination locks that WMP used to sell, but no longer does--they have lasted over 10 years with repeated immersions, but repeated treatment with WD40.

WMP switched to selling a Master marine brass combination lock, which corroded up within a month.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 16:41   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Seeing as my boat is OLD, she has a giant slide pin that's fitted to the sliding hatch and it pokes through the hatch boards for locking. They're gonna need a sledge hammer to defeat it cause they'll have to break the boards. Oh Joy came with 5 identical stainless locks that the same key fits. I keep them sprayed up with WD-40 and rotate them monthly, no issues.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 17:09   #12

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I use and old Master gym locker combination lock probably cost the previous owner 4 bucks. I, like CharlieCobra spray the sh*& out of it with WD-40. That lock is loose as a Goose and virtually
rust free.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 02:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
CCL Security Products “Sesamee” Keyless Padlocks are the best combination lock I’ve used (life-time warranty).
Goto:
CCL Security Systems > Products > Sesamee
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 08:54   #14

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
You could just put a sign on the boat that warns of radiation danger and noone in their rightmind will try to go near it.

no, seriously get a good bronze padlock or a bunch or stainless ones and rotate them with lots of WD-40.