Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 17:39   #16
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Re: line inventory

I am interested in the 3/8 sprectra line as an alternative. Where is the best place to buy. Are there any brands to stay away from? I briefly looked on West Marine and the 3/8 single braid spectra appeared to be cheaper that the 3/4 double braid nylon that I had originally looked at. Am I missing something?
Is it any harder to thread the straps for the series drogue? I am making my own and have all the cones made.
Thanks again for your help.
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I am interested in the 3/8 sprectra line as an alternative. Where is the best place to buy.Is it any harder to thread the straps for the series drogue?
I think Amsteel is the usually choice. We used a new england ropes product (now obsolete) just because I had some spare on board already. I don't know who has the best price - if you can I would look for either a trawler or a logging supply store, since they use great quantities of this stuff. The cones are actually a little easier to thread in specta single braid than nylon double braid.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 06:24   #18
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

So I am going to use Amsteel for the series drogue and lead and bridle.
If I were going to copy you and have two 300 foot lines to use for the gale rider and other purposes, would you use 3/8 Amsteel or 3/4 double braid nylon?
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 10:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
So I am going to use Amsteel for the series drogue and lead and bridle.
If I were going to copy you and have two 300 foot lines to use for the gale rider and other purposes, would you use 3/8 Amsteel or 3/4 double braid nylon?
RDW
Hmmm . . . depends . . . For most people I think 2 x nylon would probably be best if you have the stowage space. Because nylon can be used for anchor rodes and panama lines and ultimately cut into dock lines when your current ones wear/chafe.

I would think you could get away with 5/8" rather than 3/4" if you wanted to cut stowage and weight. The loads on our galerider seem to max out around 3500lbs.

But we go to places where we use shore lines, and I prefer floating lines for that. So, I think we would go for one of each. The 3/8 spectra will certainly be lighter and stow smaller. The spectra will be a little harder to recover - slipperier. And you really want to use splices in the spectra rather than knots (which both slip and weaken the line a lot). We use 3/8" spectra for our mainsail reef lines, so we could always use it for that use.

You can't go wrong either way.
Old 23-03-2011, 19:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

...I prefer floating lines for that. So, I think we would go for one of each. The 3/8 spectra will certainly be lighter and stow smaller.
Evans:

You use spectra for your lines to shore? Are there less expensive alternatives you'd recommend? I saw a photo of the setup on s/v Polaris with 200m Dyneema on Easyroll reels:
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 05:38   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Evans:
You use spectra for your lines to shore? Are there less expensive alternatives you'd recommend? I saw a photo of the setup on s/v Polaris with 200m Dyneema on Easyroll reels:
Most boats use polypropylene for shore lines, and we have three of those (100m x 18mm). There is a wide variety of polypropylene quality - the yellow stuff sold for 'yachting' and 'water skiing' tends to be real crap, but there is some quite nice stuff sold into commercial fishing. We got our two lines in a Cork (Ireland) commercial Chandler.

Recently there has been a 'new' rope development - bi-polymer olefin -30% to 35% higher in strength and wear life than the equivalent polypropylene construction. It's something I would look at if buying new shore lines - as you could downsize them a little compared to polypro and make them easier to handle and stow. But I have not yet gotten a firsthand report on how well they hold up over the long time. Most of the rope manufacturers have a product like this, but Samson seems to be one of the leaders Samson-The Strongest Name in Rope, ULTRA BLUE-8

Spectra is perfect for the shore line application, and give you by far the most line for a given storage space, but it has always felt to be like 'overkill' for the application.

Deck spools are nice, if you are really using the lines 'all the time'. But we like to be able to have our decks (and pushpit) clear and clean when sailing, so we stow our shore lines in tall skinny mesh bags - which we then drop into the laz. The 'tall skinny' shape allows the rope to run out without tangling or kinking. The mesh allows the rope to dry/drain. And we have a light wire hoop sewn into the mouth to hold it open while stuffing the line back in.
Old 24-03-2011, 18:44   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Thumbs up Re: line inventory

Thanks Evans:

I will look into that Samson Ultra Blue - same line that Bob Pingel (aka The Boat Doctor) recommended to me. I think I will go the "bag" vs "reel" route based on frequency of use as well as cost.

We did go with spectra for running back uppers and lazy jacks, as you outlined in Beth's book. Those are going to work out nicely.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote