Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-11-2015, 10:08   #1

Lessons in Venice/Sarasota FL USA

Hello all.

I am looking to get started sailing and will be in Venice Fl this December. I have a few questions and welcome all advice.

1. I could possibly take an ASA course or even two from Sara Bay in Sarasota. This would be on a little larger boat, so I am not sure if that is the best way to really start?
2. I would love to learn on a dinghy, because it seems like you would get great feedback from error, but someone could enlighten me further on this. There is a youth school in Venice, but I doubt they would teach me, being that I am over 40. I don't care if I get wet.

3. I really would like private lessons if possible and willing to pay an up charge if it isn't double cost. I took a few lessons on a 47' Yawl years ago in Ft. Lauderdale, but that huge boat was wildly forgiving and as the captain put it, you can't tip this boat over, well at least in the conditions of the three days I sailed it. Hence my gravitation to a dinghy.

I plan on sailing this coming summer on a dinghy on/in a lake where I am from to continue to learn (there is a sunfish for sale for $500), but that is a long way off. I may be able to get to Florida in March to further my sailing experience to get certified bareback.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:33   #2

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37
Re: Lessons in Venice/Sarasota FL USA

Your idea to get the feel for sailing on a small boat is spot-on. This is where you learn to read the small but important nuances of the boat and its interaction with wind and water. Yes- Get a small boat to practice on and have fun with for starters. As soon as you are reasonably competent take some classes. This will give you enough knowledge to be dangerous :-) Good luck!

Old 13-11-2015, 06:03   #3

Seems I am not going to find folks from that region. Thanks for your response. I maybe stuck with learning on a 30' boat, but I suspect I could use some of that knowledge and work on sailing a dinghy this coming summer. I don't want to just become certified, I would like to be good at this. Thanks for the one reply and confirmation of starting small. I have done some searches on here, but no topic really covered my questions. I will contact the youth sailing school first for advice and if nothing comes from that, I guess I will go with Sara Bay, if possible. I would prefer private lessons to gain the most out of it.

I even private messaged a moderator listing Sarasota as a location and no response. Maybe these questions get tiresome. Thanks again.
Old 13-11-2015, 06:16   #4

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

I don't live there either, but put Sarasota's zip code (34285 or 34293) in here Find An ASA Sailing Schooland call the schools. They probably can give you references. Good luck.
Old 13-11-2015, 06:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I don't live there either, but put Sarasota's zip code (34285 or 34293) in here Find An ASA Sailing Schooland call the schools. They probably can give you references. Good luck.
Thanks, that is the one I mentioned in my original post. Was hoping to sail around on a dinghy for now to learn, but maybe that won't happen in that area unless you are a kid.
Old 13-11-2015, 08:21   #6

Just for an update incase anyone does a search for Sarasota/Venice, I am enrolled in my first class and tenthly my second class at the Sara Bay ASA school, so I will be able to take a sailboat out solo. I then hope to practice on a Sunfish or something similar during this coming summer to keep getting better at this. I am excited and a little nervous at the same time, but the guy I talked to was super nice and I look forward to getting started. I will post my experience for searchers in the future.
Old 13-11-2015, 09:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcurtis View Post
Hello all.

I am looking to get started sailing and will be in Venice Fl this December. I have a few questions and welcome all advice.

1. I could possibly take an ASA course or even two from Sara Bay in Sarasota. This would be on a little larger boat, so I am not sure if that is the best way to really start?
2. I would love to learn on a dinghy, because it seems like you would get great feedback from error, but someone could enlighten me further on this. There is a youth school in Venice, but I doubt they would teach me, being that I am over 40. I don't care if I get wet.

3. I really would like private lessons if possible and willing to pay an up charge if it isn't double cost. I took a few lessons on a 47' Yawl years ago in Ft. Lauderdale, but that huge boat was wildly forgiving and as the captain put it, you can't tip this boat over, well at least in the conditions of the three days I sailed it. Hence my gravitation to a dinghy.

I plan on sailing this coming summer on a dinghy on/in a lake where I am from to continue to learn (there is a sunfish for sale for $500), but that is a long way off. I may be able to get to Florida in March to further my sailing experience to get certified bareback.

Thanks for any help and advice.
"I may be able to get to Florida in March to further my sailing experience to get certified bareback."

I'm not familiar with the issue of "bareback certification" as it relates to sailing. Kindly explain.
Old 13-11-2015, 09:46   #8

For a beginner, any boat will do; but an old Cal 20 is probably the best. Its tough, well ballasted, and easy to handle. See if there are any sailing clubs(not yacht clubs but sailing clubs) or YMCAs that have sailing instructions. Try also the classified ads, craigslist(unless your a female), or even facebook.

Its really super simple to sail. Even Neanderthals sailed. The basics can be learnt in an hour and beyond that its improving your sailing judgement by sailing a lot.
Old 13-11-2015, 09:56   #9

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Try the sailing school in St Pete., they have some 12 to 19 ft open sloops and instruction. it's a short drive from Sarasota...an hour. A good place to get experience with all kinds of conditions. they also have some bigger boats for when your ready to move up.

I actually started to sail with them about 40 years ago when they were at the St Pete yacht club. First off shore was on the race to Isla Mujeres. I think I was 15 at the time. But there are plenty of adults taking the school now. i just sailed up there from the keys....anchored right off the school docks...last year. took a friend to the FWC building there for a meeting. I don't think they got much done at the meeting, as all his colleagues, just wanted to hear about the trip and get an invite to go sail out in the bay ;-)
Old 13-11-2015, 10:12   #10

Boat: Catalina 34

Hcurtis -- A couple of suggestions. Sailing the Sunfish around the lake will help improve your basic sail/ rudder handling skills, but if you eventually hope to be on a larger vessel sailing up and down tight channels, in and out of marinas /slips, up to fuel docks, under bridges, etc., around other boats and obstacles, you'll want to spend some time learning on a boat that has an engine ... because that is what you will normally be using for propulsion in situations where collisions are most common. Catalina 22 or the J22 or J24 or the new training boat that Beneteau built in conjunction with ASA all come to mind.
Re Sailing schools/ classes. Most do a really good job, but you can get a lot more out of these lessons if you find out what texts they'll be referring to and spend a lot of time reading those and memorizing basic terms, tactics, and rules well BEFORE you take the class. YouTube has lots of clips that might help you as well. This way you'll spend your time learning by getting the practical, hands- on experience you're looking for, rather than racking your brain all weekend trying to remember the difference between a boom vang and an out haul. Cheers, Pappy
Old 13-11-2015, 10:24   #11

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Start out with a small (dinghy sunfish etc) boat with a Lateen sail, then find a small boat with main and jib. Then move up to something bigger that has some momentum and is more sluggish. That will give you the basics of how a boat moves with the wind, the engine maneuvering, like everything else comes with practice, a sailboat doesn't respond as fast as a powerboat, doesn't stop as fast either. One doesn't need to learn as much as they just need to be careful and not be in a hurry. I have tons of books if you want to borrow some for a while.
Old 13-11-2015, 11:09   #12

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Find a local place where they race sailboats and volunteer as crew- they are always looking for help, and you will have great experiences learning how to sail fast, and probably make some friends for life!
Old 14-11-2015, 02:22   #13

Boat: Irwin 37CC -

Charlotte Harbor Sailing Center in Pt. Charlotte. Has a great small boat program. Dennis Peck has been our mentor for years. 9414568542.
Old 14-11-2015, 04:29   #14

Stop by the Sarasota Sailing Squadron and ask your questions. Also, find out who needs crew. You can learn a lot that way.
Old 14-11-2015, 15:22   #15

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfred View Post
"I may be able to get to Florida in March to further my sailing experience to get certified bareback."

I'm not familiar with the issue of "bareback certification" as it relates to sailing. Kindly explain.
Maybe a sailing rodeo cowboy.

Tags
sarasota

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: