Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 19:16   #46

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Leaving anchor under sail in a storm

I suppose you can react most quickly with the jib, and you can let it out from any wind angle. Also, with only two reefs in my main, I would feel more in control with a little bit of jib. Tried it a bit in 20-25 knots on the anchor to experiment with setting a second anchor as atoll suggested earlier in the thread and it worked alright to about 70 degrees off the wind.
However, this is the first time I've used the jib that way. I've always raised the main at anchor or on the ball, and used that to get out, unless I needed to back wind the jib to turn me fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 19:17   #47

Rocna's are on my shopping list in boot key
Hopefully I won't have to experiment with the buoy trick until then!

Old 09-04-2015, 20:44   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Why only a jib? When I am sailing off an anchor I am usually running or reaching to clear the anchorage. The jib is much easier to deal with whether furling or not. Once clear I take my time to get things in order, lashed down and whatever and then I go to the main. If you are singlehanding and the lines are all run to the cockpit, it's not too bad. If not, I have to hustle to raise the main and get going etc. If you know you will have to close reach out of an anchorage, that is a different story and requires more preparation. If you are singlehanding it is hard, the time between getting the anchor up and getting back to raise the sails becomes pretty critical depending on the anchorage and other boats around. Now I learned all this by trial and error and, thank God, I never ended up on any rocks or on other boats in the process. But I am all ears and eyes for better ways to do it! I am assuming that you, brownoarsman, are singlehanding?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 21:14   #49

Yup, all on my lonesome as well. I put the main up usually and let her tack across her rode while I pull it up. Saves my arms from the work. Then I race to the cockpit and either back wind some jib, back the main, or, if I've timed it right and conditions work out, just clear the anchorage as I am.

Tags
anchor, sail