Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 09:16   #16

Re: Knock Down Off Colombian Coast

Yikes.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:18   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Did not read the whole thing but the first paragraph says it all. He was told that this was a bad stretch of water and he just knew that these people just did not like big water. All i read in the first paragraph was arrogance. Trying to take on those waters in a 28' boat and then leave the tiller is height of stupidity that is if you know that the area is huge problem which is obvious they did not nor did they listen.

If they did their work and knew the weather in that part of the Carib they would know there is a permanent low over that area and the winds and seas are huge and there are 2 ways to get around it. 1 is to go close in and hope day to day really close in and anchor if the winds get up to much. The 2nd is to go way and i mean way a few hundred miles off shore to get around it.

We know of one other boat that was rolled in the same area but fortunately he made it ok into Cartagena as he was headed westward.

Why people just don't do their homework if simply beyond me. In this case arrogance of youth and a bulletproof mentality.

they are lucky to be alive.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:26   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Your ditch bag should be within easy reach as you leave the boat's cabin.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:34   #19

There was another thread about this event, the owner of the boat posted in that thread.
They were "close in".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 11:46   #20

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Very easy area to underestimate. after time in benign conditions in the Caribbean it's then back to currents compression zones etc. This area behaves like a cape but does not look like one. Caught me out to, lost steering and had to be towed home!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 12:05   #21

Going West to East from the Canal is a long known "one of the roughest".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:47   #22

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
If you look at the pictures of the damaged area it appears that the fiberglass tore near the top of the side if the hull right below the hull to deck joint. the hull to deck joint appears to be intact. I am only basing this off of picture only.
I had an Ericson once that had soft decks in the foredeck area.

I was concerned when while sailing into the weather and sleeping up forward. The portside would flex in and out with each wave strike. It was scary.

Sold the boat to a guy who rebuilt her, she resides in an inland lake last I heard. Good thing
Old 20-02-2015, 16:02   #23

Boat: Windward Marine Searaker 50

The knockdown could have been avoided if they were setup to use a Jordan Series Drogue. This same story has been repeated over and over again while vessels that deployed JSDs avoided damage in similar or even worse conditions. You simply can't avoid a knockdown or roll over with large breaking waves by just steering.
wgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 17:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoodbye View Post
The knockdown could have been avoided if they were setup to use a Jordan Series Drogue. This same story has been repeated over and over again while vessels that deployed JSDs avoided damage in similar or even worse conditions. You simply can't avoid a knockdown or roll over with large breaking waves by just steering.
I think I read in the article the guy made it to shore by sheeting out. meaning his safe refuge was down wind. He can't have been very off shore if he made it over night with a heavily reefed main and a damaged rig. I'm guessing 20 miles or less.

you absolutely can not use a drogue with a Columbian rainforest 20 miles down wind of you.
Old 20-02-2015, 17:38   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I wonder what effect this story has on the folks who trumpet endlessly about the "tank-like boats built back w hen they didn't know how strong FRP was, and so overbuilt them"?

Not wanting to denigrate this couples efforts or their vessel, but that was a lot of damage from a rolling event.

Jim
Old 20-02-2015, 18:17   #26

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Fiberglass does degrade over time which upsets some people but sailors need to be aware of it. Cruisers would do well to look at racing dinghy sailors who know how long a competition life their boats have through experience before things start getting soft and slowing down. The step after slowing down is breaking....
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 18:19   #27

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I have become convinced that a drogue keeps you on a relatively safe bearing to the principle danger, and allows the storm to blow past you, while you deal with issues and try to rest and make your boat and crew safe. While running with it demands 100% of your skill and attention, without letup, keeps you in distress longer and places you in worse danger of being broached, rolled, pitch-poled or pooped.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 18:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I wonder what effect this story has on the folks who trumpet endlessly about the "tank-like boats built back w hen they didn't know how strong FRP was, and so overbuilt them"?

Not wanting to denigrate this couples efforts or their vessel, but that was a lot of damage from a rolling event.

Jim
That's what I thought too. I did some research and those tritons are heavy due to the full keel, but not that heavy, not tank like 6900-8400 lb displacement. That's a huge range of builds and build qualities. Thy are old boats.

I think the damaged side must have already been compromised some how. The couples were in their 20's, it was a 50 year old boat, they had no idea what it had been through. Maybe the boat had fallen off a truck or cradle, and been repaired. Idk.

Flooding I get, the hatch was likely open or partially open. The leeward window, sure, I guess that happens, but the damage to the windward side- both the deck-hull separation and the crack near the waterline doesn't seem right to me.
Old 20-02-2015, 21:36   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Fiberglass does degrade over time which upsets some people but sailors need to be aware of it. Cruisers would do well to look at racing dinghy sailors who know how long a competition life their boats have through experience before things start getting soft and slowing down. The step after slowing down is breaking....
That is so but would that not also mean that the serviceable life of a hull that is only 1/3" think have a very short lifespan?

I think this was just a hell of a hit, wrong angle at precisely the wrong time. It just took 50 years to happen. This could have not been a failure of the fiberglass at all... the bolts or the glue could have given way.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 21:46   #30

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
That's what I thought too. I did some research and those tritons are heavy due to the full keel, but not that heavy, not tank like 6900-8400 lb displacement. That's a huge range of builds and build qualities. Thy are old boats.

I think the damaged side must have already been compromised some how. The couples were in their 20's, it was a 50 year old boat, they had no idea what it had been through. Maybe the boat had fallen off a truck or cradle, and been repaired. Idk.

Flooding I get, the hatch was likely open or partially open. The leeward window, sure, I guess that happens, but the damage to the windward side- both the deck-hull separation and the crack near the waterline doesn't seem right to me.
I think also that says beware of the old BWB. Whilst there have been some issues with some of the newer production vessels there have also been issues with this older vessel and also Rebel Hearts BWB just 2.

Seems with any of these older vessels as with any there can easily be some significant and costly issues requiring major maintaince for someone with the skills. Tha'ts not to say they can't be good with sufficient work however one needs to beware with any old boats.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Colombia