Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31   #1

Boat: Allied Mistress. 39"
Key West to Isla Mujarres

any advise on this passage with a 39 ft Allied Mistress, possible solo
waynebow2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Id use passage weather to check the wind / wave direction its fairly accurate a few days out. Theres another site that shows the loop currents which will help you with planning as they change alot. You may go further but not beating into a 2 knot head current you may get there faster.
Plus check all the other posts for Mexico regarding Zarpes etc....
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:35   #3

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Re: Key West to Isla Mujarres

You better get a clearance out of Key West or you can get your boat seized in Isla Mujeres. I would stay clear of Mexico at the moment due to their internal strife.
Read the other post about the guy that got his boat seized due to not having a clearance out of the USA.
I will never return to Mexico period. F*@ked up there badly
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53   #4

Boat: Allied Mistress. 39"

I talked to Key West Customs this week and they told me that there is no clearence needed to go to Mexico. I wonder what other conditions were afoul relative to a susposed seizer? I spoke with persons that left Isla Mujarres with in a week of right ( I meet them on the dighty dock at KW) now and they stated that every thing was good there. They only left because business reasons called them from US
Waynebow
waynebow2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:45   #5
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

From what I've read here for over 3 years its 50/50 if not haveing a zarpe is an issue. Also the american officials always claim you dont need one, but their american officals, not the mexican officals you'll be dealing with. I my self would not go to mexico but thats just then opinion I have formed. There are a few long threads here about it. Just cause 1 cruiser did ok with out it, is not a good reason to assume you will be fine. The previous thread is split 50/50 on it, so it seems like a gamble. Wayne we meet just days ago in key west, I gave you a ride to your boat. Good luck & have a safe trip.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:09   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you should not need a zarpe from usa to mexico. do take your fuel receipt just in case ...will work.
go to fort jefferson then isla mujeres. best routing is that way. remember--there are no facilities in fort jefferson, dry tortugas, so take your provisions and water and fuel in fla.
check sail flow and passage weather and whatever other additional sites for weather you can find before leaving, as well as en route
should be a good time for this adventure.
without zarpe, i have heard of no boats impounded. that isnt even done on west coast of mexico without good reason.(good reason=suspicion of smuggling--drugs, people, whatever..)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:40   #7

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebow2002 View Post
I talked to Key West Customs this week and they told me that there is no clearence needed to go to Mexico. I wonder what other conditions were afoul relative to a susposed seizer? I spoke with persons that left Isla Mujarres with in a week of right ( I meet them on the dighty dock at KW) now and they stated that every thing was good there. They only left because business reasons called them from US
Waynebow
No clearance needed from USA but in Mexico they want to see papers on your last port of call.

I had my run in's with them and not over paperwork.. another subject.. Everything will go perfectly in Mexico until it doesn't then watch out. Never again will I trust the Mexican government and I am a very trusting person...
Good luck mate.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:40   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya get your Zarpe at Homeland Sec, not at Customs! Its a simple form, we get them all the time ! If ya want to go to Isla M to ck into Mexico ya better get one !! sure makes things easier, and much less time needed to ck in ! Things are different on the Gulf side of Mexico then what they are on the west coast !! Just sayin get your paper work and things go much better !!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:57   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
I talked to Key West Customs this week and they told me that there is no clearence needed to go to Mexico.
It's not our law that a private vessel have a port clearance document filled out, but it is the law in Mexico......respect their laws from the start and things will go very smoothly.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_1300.pdf

It's so easy to do too. Again, remember the law of the land you are visiting is what counts. Just do it correctly in the first place and you'll have no problems.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:44   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Waynebow

Key West Customs won't be there when you check into Isla. The Port Captain makes the rules and he wants clearance from your last port, including Key West. Save yourself tons of grief. Get it before you go. Here is a post on our crossing, Voyages of Sea Trek: Let It Begin Florida Keys to Guatemala . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:55   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Go out to the Key West airport, see customs there (at east end of terminal), and ask for a 'courtesy clearance'. Its easy, and you will be glad you did.

Plan on heading across toward the west end of Cuba, then get some Southing in the bank--the northbound current is strong off Isla Mujeres.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 11:02   #12

i have never needed a zarpe from usa to check into mexico. i was advised that if the agent is very very old fashioned that a fuel receipt will work.

goodluck and smooth saling...\\btw--boats are not impounded due to no zarpe--only for smuggling into mexico drugs and people and arms..they do not like you to bring weaponry into mexico. they also do not like ytou to bring any drugs into mexico. remember, if someone tells officials you are doing something illegal in mexico, you are guilty until proven innocent,,mebbe 20 yrs from now...
Old 14-01-2013, 15:14   #13

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
. they also do not like ytou to bring any drugs into mexico. ...
What about prescription drugs heart meds etc???
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 15:29   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If you got scripts then your percription drugs are fine. Don't repackage!

Mexican customs and immigration can be great, or they can be total pricks. You have been warned.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 08:58   #15

the necessary prescription drugs for many souls are easily obtained in mexico. do not bring narcotics or hypnotics into mexico without a proper prescription. this includes dilantin.