Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 12:31   #1

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
JUST GO, DON'T LISTEN.

Wow, am I glad I'm such a bad listener. I heard from so many people (nonsailors, sailors, and all kinds) that I was nuts to take my wife on a trip like we did, and we're loving it. I'm 38, she's 23 as of today, and we took our Macgregor 25 to Florida from Michigan on the trailer, then launched and sailed to Bimini. We've been in the bahamas living on next to nothing ever since.

fiberglassvengeance.blogspot.com

is our blog. Check out all the fun we're having while the world toils away.

Our boat is wonderful for this area. We have our choice of anchorages, and our boat scoots across places and into nooks that other boats look at through binoculars while they take a break from fixing their icemakers.

Bought the 1985 boat for $4800, and tricked it out. There's a tour of it on our blog, but it doesn't show all of the mods, but a few anyway. It has a kingsize bed (fold down), original sails, danforth anchor, water bladder, 25hp outbard, bookshelves, microwave, fridge, and run by solar panels.

So to all the naysayers out there (and here around us): keep your stainless steel chain, your bells, whistles, and whatever, and enjoy your stay in the docks, while you slog away at your job to pay for it all. As for me, I'm out sailing, just glad I didn't listen to all who told me it was ridiculous.

Jealous? Quit your job and leave.

Jack
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:57   #2

Good for you, Jack!

I don't think a Mac 25 is very high on my list of good Bahamas cruisers, but then I'm not there am I.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 13:03   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Good on you, Jack.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 13:14   #4
cruiser

Took a quick breeze of your blog:

Wow... how terrible with that burn. I hope Ruth is feeling ok. That's got to be one of the most painful things out there. Glad the boat was saved. People were just talking about fires on board recently.

So anyway, I remember that feeling when we first figured out we could leave corporate america. Pretty liberating, isn't it? Possibly the best feeling in the world.

Now, I don't want to start any confrontation, but... ha ha always a but... I just wanted to make a point about some of the members on here.

I'm not sure you know who you are addressing on this forum, as many *many* members have already "been there" and "done that" cruising the Bahamas and much farther afield. While I understand your post's spirit, many of the regulars on here are actively cruising or have returned due to their getting on in years. They can't help that they are tied to the dock now. They know an awful lot and deserve our respect (spoken by a 36 yr old with a wife in her 20's as well).

Your spirit is spot on though - all that fancy pants gear really doesn't mean a thing, does it? It's just a waste of money. I'm with you on that. The smaller your boat (while being suitable for your cruising grounds, as yours is), the more you can actually cruise. I'm glad to see you are living the good life!

We chose a more expensive boat and we have to work to pay her off. Just different approches to the same idea. I sure won't be working in corporate america to pay her off though! ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 13:58   #5

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
Sure enough

Yeah, I'm sure you understand, I don't mean to offend. The people that are doing it/done it aren't the ones I'm really addressing, more like the people that say "you can't/shouldn't/won't/DON'T!" Which is a lot of people, really. I'm just incredulous at how accessible this adventure is, compared with all this handwringing and discouraging I got from those that never have, and even from those that have, but in greater luxury. Maybe they couldn't imagine doing what we're doing how we're doing it, but that's their limitation, and even then, only in their minds. I know there's all kinds on the forum, including some that just spectate, and some that go, but only in floating mansions. The people that go/gone old/young are those that said the hell with the excuses, let's go. Those people already know what I learned coming here.

If there was anything to be learned by punk rock, it was the Do It Yourself ethos of not being a spectator in your own life. You too, can make music. You too, can sail across the gulf stream.

I asked people if I could do it on our Mac 25 and they practically started screaming at me- the boat was too small, the tiller would shear off, etc. Well, I met a cat in Georgetown that sailed across in a 15 footer that he built himself, and rowed to Georgetown from way up high on the U.S. coast somewhere, where exactly I forget.

Anyway, thanks for your kudos, and back atcha, and all those that actually do it. But to those that would tell other people that it's for those of us with autopilots, and singlesideband, radar, 35+foot boats only, and say I can't do it, I say watch me.

I'm having a blast, and not looking back. Cheers to the cruisers, and remember, it's an active verb: just as a writer writes, a cruiser cruises, and "can't" is a four letter word.
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 14:48   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
"you can't/shouldn't/won't/DON'T!"
You took the words right out of Mums mouth!!!!!! On Friday when we were visiting her she said exactly that finishing off with "Don't forget your yacht club tie!"

As you Americans say: Go figure!

The peanuts who say these things most are in the media: "I'm at the scene you shouldn't be at!" "Here is a documentary of a far off place with strange animals - too dangerous for you to go to, but I am being paid by the Network."

And, yes, the old codgers by the fire/bar/keyboard who say sagely: "You're gunna DIE!!!!" But if you ask them: "If you were my age, and only had a 28ft boat /32 footer / 18ft TS with bedsheets for sails, would YOU sail this adventure?" And then listen to their answer... "Yeah, I would......... "

Good luck to you!

Deep frying on boats! LOL Hope she is OK

Mark

Old 01-03-2008, 15:22   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure you understand, I don't mean to offend. The people that are doing it/done it aren't the ones I'm really addressing, more like the people that say "you can't/shouldn't/won't/DON'T!" Which is a lot of people, really. I'm just incredulous at how accessible this adventure is, compared with all this handwringing and discouraging I got from those that never have, and even from those that have, but in greater luxury. Maybe they couldn't imagine doing what we're doing how we're doing it, but that's their limitation, and even then, only in their minds. I know there's all kinds on the forum, including some that just spectate, and some that go, but only in floating mansions. The people that go/gone old/young are those that said the hell with the excuses, let's go. Those people already know what I learned coming here.

If there was anything to be learned by punk rock, it was the Do It Yourself ethos of not being a spectator in your own life. You too, can make music. You too, can sail across the gulf stream.

I asked people if I could do it on our Mac 25 and they practically started screaming at me- the boat was too small, the tiller would shear off, etc. Well, I met a cat in Georgetown that sailed across in a 15 footer that he built himself, and rowed to Georgetown from way up high on the U.S. coast somewhere, where exactly I forget.

Anyway, thanks for your kudos, and back atcha, and all those that actually do it. But to those that would tell other people that it's for those of us with autopilots, and singlesideband, radar, 35+foot boats only, and say I can't do it, I say watch me.

I'm having a blast, and not looking back. Cheers to the cruisers, and remember, it's an active verb: just as a writer writes, a cruiser cruises, and "can't" is a four letter word.
Cool! I like your attitude. So positive.

I didn't mean to offend you, either. Was just giving some credit to some of those guys and gals on here who may not be cruising, but definitley didn't listen way back when.

I agree with you. Nearly everyone in "normal life" or "professional life" will tell you not to do it. Our favorites were:

"How will you get your mail?"
"What about your careers??"
"How will you do laundry?"

People are so stuck in the routine it's crazy. Good for you breaking out.

Dude, I hope to meet you one day out there. There aren't a ton of us in this age group... some... but not the majority. I'm in the FL Keys at this second with a new boat. Yeah... it's under 35 ft! But it was a little pricey. Gotta work her (in charter) and pay her off.

Anyway, yeah... it's a lot more simple than people make it out to be. I bet you could cruise the entire Caribbean in the Mac 25. It's all how good you are with weather forecasting.
Old 01-03-2008, 15:27   #8
cruiser

Speaking of punk rock, you'll relate to this, even if it's more mainstream. I used to live in Manhattan and met a lot of celebrities. No big deal. The one person I was completely blown away by was the lead singer to the Violent Femmes. I skateboarded to that guys song as a kid and just thought it was the coolest thing. Then... to meet him as an adult when he was playing at some Williamsburg hipster club was just mind blowing. He was there as a "friend of a friend" and was headlining solo that night.

I can't explain it, but it was mind blowing because he was part of my childhood, even though he didn't know it. Then to be sitting around shooting the sh*t with him drinking beers... unreal.

PS: I have half a mind to head across to the Bahamas this week when my wife comes down. My plan is to head to Maine. Which sounds better? ha ha
Old 01-03-2008, 15:41   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
There aren't a ton of us in this age group... some... but not the majority. .
Yes, Nicolle is 25 and has been PM'ing the other girls on this forum and chatting. She is a bit worried that there won't be many young people. She has copped some flack from older females in our group of landlubber friends who put into the catagory "you can't/shouldn't/won't/DON'T" her career. Saying things like if she gives up her career she will be giving up her independance and be dependant on me - which is a feminist evil approaching the worst!
And then the girls all go off in a huddle and talk about womens private issues... Nicolle comes out lookin depressed! LOLOL

Mark

Old 01-03-2008, 16:22   #10

Quote:
PS: I have half a mind to head across to the Bahamas this week when my wife comes down. My plan is to head to Maine. Which sounds better? ha ha
It's too early to head to Maine. Spend March in the Bahamas - cruising permit for a 34 footer is $150.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 16:55   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, Nicolle is 25 and has been PM'ing the other girls on this forum and chatting. She is a bit worried that there won't be many young people. She has copped some flack from older females in our group of landlubber friends who put into the catagory "you can't/shouldn't/won't/DON'T" her career. Saying things like if she gives up her career she will be giving up her independance and be dependant on me - which is a feminist evil approaching the worst!
And then the girls all go off in a huddle and talk about womens private issues... Nicolle comes out lookin depressed! LOLOL

Mark

You're right Mark. It is bad for her to have all the others putting bad ideas in her head. It happened to my wife too. They were all worried that her career would be gone and she'd be dependent on me. Truth is... we're quite dependent on each other. I could never do all this crazy stuff without her support. I tend to make $$ in fits and starts, and she plugs away a little at a time.

But Nicolle's concern is a valid one. There aren't many women out there (as compared to land) and there aren't so many in her age group at all. My wife is always looking to see what other women are around, but has accepted that it's mostly all guys - weirdos at that!

When we have wintered at docks, she takes a little inventory of what women are on the dock, and so far... none have been less than twice her age. Plus, rather than friendly individuals, we find packs of older ladies
all sitting around together in groups. They are friendly, but we are not the type to join large groups like that.

It's a real concern... could warrant a thread.
Old 01-03-2008, 16:57   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
It's too early to head to Maine. Spend March in the Bahamas - cruising permit for a 34 footer is $150.
Oh man.... I'm dying to do this. Only thing really holding us back is the fact that we just bought the boat. We don't have official documentation papers, official state registration, have that 90 day decal from FL, etc...

Just running papers.

Seems like I could run afoul of all kinds of messes checking in and out.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:00   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
When we have wintered at docks, she takes a little inventory of what women are on the dock, and so far... none have been less than twice her age. Plus, rather than friendly individuals, we find packs of older ladies
all sitting around together in groups. They are friendly, but we are not the type to join large groups like that.

It's a real concern... could warrant a thread.
Be careful Sean, that "Thread" could turn out to be a noose!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 17:10   #14
cruiser

Pelagic... hillarious. You have all the best jokes tonight.

I think the issue of 20-something cruising women having very few peers out there would be a good thread though. I guess it might be a very empty thread though.
Old 01-03-2008, 23:54   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

So to all the naysayers out there (and here around us): keep your stainless steel chain, your bells, whistles, and whatever, and enjoy your stay in the docks, while you slog away at your job to pay for it all. As for me, I'm out sailing, just glad I didn't listen to all who told me it was ridiculous.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...egor-8152.html

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote