Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 09:19   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Juryrigging a Rudder

I think having a cassette for an emergency rudder installed prior to a long voyage is a very good idea. That is what I will do for my boat. I think it is better to have a fixed gudgeon bracket (to hold the emergency rudder) already installed on the boat along with the pintles already in a kit (with bolts and other needed bits). Heavy weather makes use of anything difficult on a boat, so I would prefer to have some of the key parts already installed, securely fitted, and ready to use in minimal time.

Some of the wind vane manufacturer's have some proposed uses of their vanes or add on features (e.g. Monitor has an optional add on emergency rudder kit). http://www.selfsteer.com/products/monitor/mrud.php

The Singlehanded Sailing Society in San Francisco has a website with many different resources available (articles, tips, etc.). This page has links to a lot of information that singlehanded (or short handed) cruisers may find interesting (I did).
Resources | Singlehanded Sailing Society

One document is an illustrated 2014 presentation with lots of technical specs on how Autopilots work and typical causes of failure. I found this interesting to read, and while it is not directly related to emergency rudders, I think some of the info is worth seeing. http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/SSS...lot_011314.pdf

Another document that features some illustrations and technical discussion of a few types of possible emergency rudders or steering.

http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/rud...compendium.pdf

And there is even a paper on using a "soft rudder" (made of sailcloth) that can be made and used in an emergency.
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/kam...ncy-rudder.pdf
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 10:53   #62

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Maybe I don't understand your emergency rudder, but as I see it it is not a cassette rudder. I don't see any way of mounting it without water pushing it around making it hard to line up.

A cassette rudder has everything but the rudder put in place first, then the rudder blade is shoved down the cassette. This makes all alignment of clevis pins, pintles, gudgeons, etc happen with nothing in the water pushing them around, then simply push a rudder in.

Cassette design:
GC Rigging and Composites

My prep for offshore years ago was to make a transom hung rudder, and gudgeons were installed on the transom. It would have been a royal pain to put the rudder on the back of the boat offshore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We were extremely paranoid of rudder loss for our Atlantic crossing due to the constant reports of steering issues others were having. Before we left, we built a mounting system with a cassette that is removable when coastal cruising, but thankfully didn't need to use it. It sure put our mind at ease!

Here are a few photos:

cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 13:54   #63

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Well, the rudder isn't shown either Both the rudder and cassette were ugly fiberglass with zero concern for aesthetics. And as a result I never took a photo of them. They both should be redone with foam core instead of the heavy plywood I used the first time, but foam was about impossible to get in Guatemala when I did this.

We are getting ready to sell the Sabre soon and need to figure out if we should fix the holes in the transom or sell it with an emergency rudder set-up... not sure what the next owner will want.

Matt
Old 26-01-2015, 08:04   #64

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've looked at their website -- looks like the Aries activates the boat's main rudder.

You might consider selling it and buying a Hydrovane, which has its own rudder -- two functions (self-steering, and spare rudder) in one device.

See: Welcome to Hydrovane Self Steering - Hydrovane

Emergency Steering - Hydrovane
I know the Hydrovane. But there are options that can be put in place with the ARies.

When I have them, I'll rig it and post pictures.

another project for this summer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, rudder