Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 20:10   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Re: Jordan Series Retrieval idea/question/overthunk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
retrieve a series from the bow? are you setting it from the bow? or moving it from stern to bow only when you go to retrieve?

Setting from the bow is generally a bad idea.

moving from stern to bow is possible but going to be a bit tricky - I generally don't recommend it. But if you do that, just motor straight ahead and pull it in by hand, and yes a second roller would be great (also useful for other uses) but does not need anything more complex than that.

I have twice used electric winches/windlasses to retrieve, and neither went all that well.

When we tested drogues on steve dashew's boat we used an really LARGE electric stern winch to retrieve them. The series drogue burned it up.

On Hawk, we once also tried with our lewmar 3500 lb (oversized) windless, on bow and we took a retrieval line up the deck to it, and it would trip out (overheat sensor).

The loads peak when you start coming down waves (and decline as you go up the backsides). The peaks can be pretty high. . . . .depends on how long you wait for the storm to decline before retrieving. We tended to wait until winds dropped below 30ish and I was surprised it still tripped the windless but it did. But when you look at anchoring loads (lower than most people think) vs drogue loads (higher than most people think) it makes sense.

Everyone I know who uses series 'regularly' just develops a rhythm for getting it in over the stern - pull when going up back of wave, hold while going down front. It takes some time, but is sort of nice brainless work out in the cockpit after a storm.
Lightbulb lit up when reading another article and thought of what you said bout the drogue tripping the breaker for the windlass.. question. do you think the load will be drastically reduced when winching from the other end so not pulling all that water? or were you doin that when things got heated up?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
do you think the load will be drastically reduced when winching from the other end so not pulling all that water? or were you doin that when things got heated up?
We were pulling the working (high load) end.

The other end would be lower load. I would be curious to see some numbers on how much lower - I'm not sure if it would be a lot or a little.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05   #18

Quote:

The other end would be lower load. I would be curious to see some numbers on how much lower - I'm not sure if it would be a lot or a little.
Appreciate the response.. i'm gonna go that route and hope but hope i don't have to do it at all ever.. will keep you posted if it happens.. thanx
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07   #19

Quote:

sorry, one more, i'm betting very little resistance from other end and thinking a 50-100 ft of 1/4 inch line from the weighted end to a large fender that will be retrievable after the blow and may not even require the windlass from little resistance other than rope weight and little drag.. unless it's still blowin pretty good.. thoughts pleasse? anyone else ever do this? seems logical