Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 12:25   #1

Question Jordan Series Drogue vs Paratech Sea Anchor

I am preparing for transatlantic cruise and would like to get some comments on the subject above. Thank you
toelpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 12:34   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'm not a supporter of either device preferring to run before the weather as opposed to standing up before it.

But of the two everything I've read would place the versatility of the Jordan series drogue ahead of larger sea anchor.

Please note this is opinion only and not based on practical experience with either device.

JOHN
Old 22-06-2010, 12:48   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
I would not use the drogue as a sea anchor.

Either run with it or heave to with a sea anchor - the latter being preferable if you are short handed or have inexperienced crew.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 13:33   #4

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
This is fun

If I had to choose one I would go with the drogue (irrespective of crew numbers) . Haven't used the Jordan, haven't had the opportunity, and not silly enough to go looking for one, but have used drogues in anger before.
While there may be occasions where the sea anchor would be preferable, i believe there are even more where the drogue would be preferable. Add that the drogue is waaaay easier to deploy and retrieve in greater safety and I see it as a no brainer.
If you can manage the cost, weight, space, have both, but not many can do that.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 13:46   #5

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
I'm not a supporter of either device preferring to run before the weather as opposed to standing up before it.
I actually agree, but I'm buying both for my new boat because I want to have options. It's like an umbrella, it never rains when you've got one and when it rains you wish you had one.

Greg
Old 22-06-2010, 13:57   #6
cruiser

Believe what you will, but history shows...you need both.

Good luck with that drogue trying to keep the boat stern-to on a cross or confused sea created by shifting winds on a fast moving or secondary lows. Good luck with an inexperienced crew when you have to perform rotating shifts to keep teams at peak concentration while aiming through the rogues.

In any case please make sure you take the change out of your pocket because I hate the sound of money rolling around in the bilge after a broach or a roll.
Old 22-06-2010, 15:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Done a few miles offshore and never needed either. But studied the benefits and problems with both, read many reports from sailors that had to deploy sea anchors of various designs and a reports from users of the drogue. Yes I would also choose to run off in bad weather but when your speed reaches the point where pitchpoling is a risk I would choose the Jordon drogue.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 15:59   #8
cruiser

Also, depends on the hull shape, length, and displacement. But in most survival situations, the sea-anchor approach served best for reasons stated.
Old 22-06-2010, 19:16   #9

These are two different tools for two different jobs. The safest is the drogue, but a chute allows you to heave too in almost any weather. But both of them are like ice skating, don't go and strap on a pair of skates just because the pond freezes over; learn how to skate first.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 19:21   #10

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
drogue vs drogue anchor vs anchor

Why not compare apples vs apples like the paratech drogue vs the jordan series drogue??
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:05   #11
cruiser

Not a fan of drogues, prefer two lines streamed off back - Not looped or bridled
Old 22-06-2010, 20:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Not a fan of drogues
I could tell that.

Why not? Any particular reason or bad experience using one?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:31   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I have both a Jordan Drogue and a parachute sea anchor. Both of them work extremely well on a catamaran when used properly.

Here are my thoughts on drogues and parachutes sea anchors on my own yacht. It's the way I look at things and keep things in perspective when I sail offshore.

Blue Water Catamaran - Exit Only Sails Offshore Around The World.* Captain Dave - Privilege 39

There's lots that can be said about storm management offshore, and there are many different ways of dealing with storms depending on the type of storm and the yacht design.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:50   #14
cruiser

Experience and frustrations, but not as bad situations as the analysis I've read of others less lucky.

Warps easier to set up, set out, keep set, work the boat, and retrieve, but you need an extra long pair of them to slow the boat down effectively - and that takes up storage room.

You need sea room with either and be able to steer (don't trust the autopilot) The basic theory is the waves and wind are headed in the same direction and you are just running down wind with your butt to the breaking waves slowed down by the drogue or warps. Not so. And not just one direction for waves. And remember the forces play against your rudder. Here, I'm talking about bad-a weather not a sleigh ride, which is why you need the other option.

OTOH if you set a sea anchor, you are stuck with it for a long time, unless you cut the rode. Sea anchors are probably better for smaller boats under 40 ft. due to stresses and heat - Pardey Bridle - and I believe (although I don't know) restricted for boats that have good displacements and can heave to/balance. Not sure they are good for fins and spades. Never used one on anything but medium displacement wineglass. But, in the worse weather, they pull through best.

But hey, to each their own. Take both and try it out. You can pick up a cheap small parachute and test it out.
Old 23-06-2010, 09:51   #15

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by toelpel View Post
I am preparing for transatlantic cruise and would like to get some comments on the subject above. Thank you
My understanding is that a sea anchor essentially stops the boat, or nearly so, while a drogue slows the boat down to facilitate steering and control surfing.

The Jordan series drogue is a hybrid in that it performs somewhere in between the two. You can't steer with the Jordan series drogue, unlike a normal drogue. Nor does it stop the boat like a sea anchor, but it does slow it down more than a drogue.

The primary function of a series drogue is to prevent pitchpoling and to relieve the helmsman of steering (in the case of fatigue or injury). The primary function of the drogue is to slow down surfing while sailing the boat. The primary function of a sea anchor is to stop the boat (think lee shore), prevent pitchpoling, and relieve the helmsman.

Therefore, each is not necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison.

My thinking is to use a drogue in normal storms, and a series drogue in a survival situation. I would favor the series drogue over a sea anchor because of consistent reports of (i) horrible motion with sea anchors, (ii) parted lines on account of the high forces, and (iii) possible damage to steering systems from bouncing backward on elastic rode. The series drogue was specifically designed to address these latter three problems, and the reports are that the series drogue works as advertised.

Obviously, a drogue is not the tool of choice if the boat's crew is incapacitated, which is why many offshore sailors carry two of the three.

To summarize: Sea anchor, big brake and no steering but high forces. Drogue, little brake and need steering. Series drogue, medium brake and no steering but no large forces.

Tags
anchor, drogue, sea anchor