Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 07:31   #1
cruiser

Is Your Boat This Bluewater Tough?

This Island Packet is one tough boat. Can your boat survive this kind of punishment? Still think that having a protected rudder doesn't matter? Will a spade rudder survive this sort of punishment?

I think not.

For those folks who are still trying to figure out the differences between the "bluewater boats" and the not so bluewater, I think this video demonstrates the difference. Could your boat take hits like the one in the video and still survive?

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 07:35   #2
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Is Your Boat This Bluewater Tough?

which part of that are you referring to as 'blue water'? What part of being in deep water threatens a rudder?

Seems to me what you need here is a tough coastal cruiser. They don't have dirt in blue water.
Old 27-04-2015, 07:42   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
which part of that are you referring to as 'blue water'? What part of being in deep water threatens a rudder?

Seems to me what you need here is a tough coastal cruiser. They don't have dirt in blue water.
Don't be ridiculous. I'm referring to the fact that the boat is overbuild, rugged and designed to take the worst that Mother Nature has to throw her way. If the boat can take repeated hits and poundings off the bottom, then I'm reasonably confident the rudder or keel probably won't snap off in a gale... like what happens on the lightly built coastal cruisers from time to time.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:12   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

What complete idiots on that boat!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:25   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don't be ridiculous. I'm referring to the fact that the boat is overbuild, rugged and designed to take the worst that Mother Nature has to throw her way. If the boat can take repeated hits and poundings off the bottom, then I'm reasonably confident the rudder or keel probably won't snap off in a gale... like what happens on the lightly built coastal cruisers from time to time.
did an atlantic crossing with an IP, she had just as many issues as other boats. ( different issues )

PS: rudders dont " snap" of in a gale.

All you see in that video are idiots, why didn't they motor away when they had time, the engine was clearly running.

Ken , have a look at the Dehler video of running a fin keel up on rocks , what you say to that

there are other on youtube etc
Old 27-04-2015, 08:44   #6
Eternal Member

Quote:
Well, I think the amount of "protection", or support, that puny 'strap' lends to the strength of the rudders on some of the IPs I've seen out of the water, is pretty negligible...

It appears others have made various efforts to 'improve' upon the original design...

That rudder would be far better protected/supported in a grounding, if it were simply attached to the keel. Having what amounts to a 'Barn Door Spade' - attached to the keel by something capable of little more than keeping lobster pot warps from catching the rudder - at a depth equal to that of the keel, seems a highly vulnerable arrangement, to me... I'll take a robustly engineered balanced spade, the bottom of which is considerably shallower than the keel, to this sort of thing, every time...

There's far more to bluewater/extended voyaging capability than the ability to survive a hard grounding... After all, no telling how many boats of that type found themselves in such dire straits to begin with, due to their poor weatherly sailing ability, and not being able to claw off a lee shore, or sail themselves out of a jam in lighter airs... :-)

Watching that video, I assumed at the start that the boat had been left unattended on that mooring... Hard to fathom, how that skipper stayed put in those conditions, and allowed himself to get into that situation...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:47   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
What complete idiots on that boat!
I don't see any idiots. Stuff happens. In their case the mooring line snapped when conditions in the mooring field intensified. It's easy to armchair sailor the escapade from behind the safety of your computer screen and Monday morning quarterback a response, but in their case, the rugged build quality of their boat saved them from ending up on the beach.... period.

Last season our anchor dragged in rather calm conditions, and we touched the beach stern to with our skeg... no damage. We weren't being idiots, sometimes stuff happens which is beyond your control and the boat needs to be built to take a hit.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:55   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
why didn't they motor away when they had time .. the engine was clearly running
that's what i thought. was this some kind of publicity stunt? why did they let it smash into the rocks then motor away? perhaps paralyzed by fear?
Old 27-04-2015, 09:02   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
take a look at the movie "all is lost" .. you can hit things like submerged cargo containers in deep water that could rip a rudder off. but yes it is much easier to do this close to shore.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:08   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
take a look at the movie "all is lost" .. you can hit things like submerged cargo containers in deep water that could rip a rudder off. but yes it is much easier to do this close to shore.
While we're on the subject of idiots... (Robert Redford)

In that lame movie, the shipping container came out of nowhere in dead calm seas and smashed into the boat at warp speed.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:14   #11

Quote:
While we're on the subject of idiots... (Robert Redford)

In that lame movie, the shipping container came out of nowhere in dead calm seas and smashed into the boat at warp speed.
It also hit the boat in the stern quarter, sideways-on, which meant that the container must have been moving at quite a speed - an ability I didn't know that shipping containers possessed.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:16   #12

Yep, your spade rudder wouldn't have survived that. Of course that guy was lucky his protected rudder did also. My friends had to replace their Pearson 38 spade rudder (twice!)once from anchoring too shallow in the Bahamas, their grounding was nothing like that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 09:24   #13

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

The ONLY explanation I can see would be that they were unable to get the engine into gear for some reason. They were drifting in to the rocks beam to the waves and it would have taken just one kick from the engine to get the boat bow to the waves.

Either the transmission was not engaging or perhaps there was something stuck in the prop that didn't get worked out until after they hit the rock. Either way, it was a very close call indeed!
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 09:31   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It also hit the boat in the stern quarter, sideways-on, which meant that the container must have been moving at quite a speed - an ability I didn't know that shipping containers possessed.
Shipping containers have been known to hit speeds of over 70mph on the highway.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:50   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I don't see any idiots. Stuff happens. In their case the mooring line snapped when conditions in the mooring field intensified. It's easy to armchair sailor the escapade from behind the safety of your computer screen and Monday morning quarterback a response, but in their case, the rugged build quality of their boat saved them from ending up on the beach.... period.

Last season our anchor dragged in rather calm conditions, and we touched the beach stern to with our skeg... no damage. We weren't being idiots, sometimes stuff happens which is beyond your control and the boat needs to be built to take a hit.

yes but they had considerable time to turn out to safety , yet they persisted in doing nothing till the very end,

Tags
water