Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 03:18   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Is Single-handed cruising Fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Nothing wrong with not liking prolonged isolation. But there is something to be said for getting away from it all.
Especially after almost a life time of dealing with it.

As you sail, you can then figure out when and where to make contract again, and when you do, you'll be much more likely to enjoy the company of others as well

Especially fellow sailors at possibly a remote or rarely used marina...…..off the beaten path
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:22   #47

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
What shocks me most is the number of folks who think buying a boat, sailing a boat, cruising on a boat, or anything to do with a boat will change a person. .
I would disagree with this.

Being on my boat puts me in a different frame of mind. Even just sitting at the dock, but especially when I am out sailing. I definitely slow down, and this moves me into a changed tempo and alters my mood toward everything else.

For instance, on land when driving if someone makes a stupid move, I tend to be a little more reactive. Onboard my boat, unless it gets dangerous I just wave and go back to tending my craft. That guy plowing a trough in a no wake zone ? Its his problem, his waves can't really affect me, my boat will sail oceans.

I also, for the limited time I have been able, stay away from television, the internet, and even my phone as much as possible. This too puts me in a different and better mood. It allows me time to think, to dream, to engage in the beauty of nature around me. Being able to sit in my cockpit miles from shore and view a distant horizon reshapes my whole perspective.

So I would say, for me a least, sailing definately changes me.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:54   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Single-handed cruising Fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The third adjustment especially for SOME singlehand sailorS is time, and what to do with so much of it when just sailing and navigating.
Well a lot of us go sailing because of that time.. no schedule.. no urgent needs to done yesterday crap.. eat when and what you want.. Relax.
Hyper sailors are an oddity..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:01   #49

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I would disagree with this.

Being on my boat puts me in a different frame of mind. Even just sitting at the dock, but especially when I am out sailing. I definitely slow down, and this moves me into a changed tempo and alters my mood toward everything else.

For instance, on land when driving if someone makes a stupid move, I tend to be a little more reactive. Onboard my boat, unless it gets dangerous I just wave and go back to tending my craft. That guy plowing a trough in a no wake zone ? Its his problem, his waves can't really affect me, my boat will sail oceans.

I also, for the limited time I have been able, stay away from television, the internet, and even my phone as much as possible. This too puts me in a different and better mood. It allows me time to think, to dream, to engage in the beauty of nature around me. Being able to sit in my cockpit miles from shore and view a distant horizon reshapes my whole perspective.

So I would say, for me a least, sailing definately changes me.

Ditto, Well said!
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43   #50

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Can be fun. My limit is 30 hours between anchorages which equates to 100-150 miles. Sleep deprivation is both dangerous and not fun.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well a lot of us go sailing because of that time.. no schedule.. no urgent needs to done yesterday crap.. eat when and what you want.. Relax.
Hyper sailors are an oddity..
Yeah, the time thing is just another adjustment those of us coming out of the fast paced "normal" world deal with at first

Normally a 5 hour sail or motor sail would be quite slow and boring for me (if not racing) but my return trip after being out a couple days which was 5 hours and about 30 miles was quite enjoyable. I had good speed due to the tide and wind being right. I was above 7 knots (with the big 5 hp at 1/3 throttle and all sail up) for the first 2-3 hours before it slowed. I was in that deep channel near the Eastern Shore getting the full benefit of the tide until I turned SW

First there was a rain squall as I was pulling up the anchor and limited vision. My batteries were at 11.9 volts so I could only run the autopilot at first and navigate with the compass. Then ships to avoid while making coffee and tending to morning things, then avoiding the anchored ships, then avoiding a tug pulling a crane headed out Chesapeake Channel. There was also lots of Coast Guard and Virginia / Maryland Pilot Chatter on the way back plus other boats headed South. One of the two was delivering an Agent to a ship via Helo. Lots of Navy traffic also with them giving their constant warnings plus their patrol boats hailing folks

The Sun came out from behind the clouds in an hour or so after I left anchor and I was able to power up since the controller was blinking bulk charge

Then bringing the sails down after the wind dropped totally, then avoiding the Tug pulling the crane barge as he came back in Thimble Shoal Channel.

That barge must have had a pretty deep draft for him to take that route ......... (or some sort of other navigation/traffic problem maybe)

I was able to pass in front of him by maybe 1500 yards but still the tide was going out toward him and if my big 5 hp had stopped it still could have been a problem
Old 04-09-2018, 14:30   #52

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Especially fellow sailors at possibly a remote or rarely used marina...…..off the beaten path[/QUOTE]

Marina means that it might not be remote. There are some in out of the way places with a marina but not exactly remote I believe.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:42   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

People that enjoy going solo like quiet. Something that drew most of you to sailing.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 16:56   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Especially fellow sailors at possibly a remote or rarely used marina...…..off the beaten path
Marina means that it might not be remote. There are some in out of the way places with a marina but not exactly remote I believe.[/QUOTE]

If you are young and single handing though, you may miss the city life...…and good whiskey and the dancing.

Old 05-09-2018, 15:18   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

You will meet far more people singlehanding then you ever would with a crew or with your wife. This is just the same as any traveling adventure. When alone, you will naturally speak to your neighbours on the water or on the dock or at the bar. And they will be very happy to speak with you. You will get invited to more dinners or drinks on board other boats by wives who are just plain tired of talking to their husbands every evening, and if you can tell a good story, that will increase exponentially.

When with your wife or a crew, you stick together most of the time. When alone, you naturally speak to others.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:09   #56

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
People that enjoy going solo like quiet. Something that drew most of you to sailing.

Most of the solo's that I've encountered, including myself, like both. The quiet solitude and face to face human interaction.

But only those who are alone can actually choose.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:37   #57

When working a hectic job in a large city, it's a nice break to sail off solo.

Doing it 24/7/365 would be a totally different thing.

Each person will have to figure out how much solitude and how much interaction with others is best for them.

Being out just a few days was a really nice break for me here recently.

It was really hot at times. Other times an afternoon rain shower cooled things off and blocked the Sun which was really nice.

I caught a few fish (actually they caught themselves. I had my drag set and the rod lying in the cockpit until that familiar drag sound occurred)

I sailed up the bay maybe 35 miles or so and anchored for the night, then crossed it maybe another 15-20 miles then anchored, then back after a day off headed back

Sleep was constantly interrupted but I did get a good 3-4 hours between 3-7 or so

Everything worked great but the batteries were down to 11.9 volts each morning. I need a 12 volt fan instead of a 120 volt ac fan
Old 06-09-2018, 06:08   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Single-handed cruising Fun?

Love the solitude out there.. zero pressure.
Also like hitting shore after 3 weeks or more at sea..
The only trouble is I go through a bout of the verbal trots and bore folks shitless....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:41   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Love the solitude out there.. zero pressure.
Also like hitting shore after 3 weeks or more at sea..
The only trouble is I go through a bout of the verbal trots and bore folks shitless....
Yeah, that's pretty normal for someone being alone for a while I'm thinking. I'm sure sailors and other folks at many coastal marinas and marina bars are probably used to the type

I used to get an ear full from the old full keel cruiser guys at our apartment dock in Pensacola back in the 90's when they'd come in after being out a few months. (I had beach cats then but the hangout was at the end of the dock)

They had some stories to tell plus were always asking me when I was going to buy a real boat!

After they had told their newest stories, they would critique every single boat at the dock telling of it's good qualities and bad. Of course though in their eyes if it didn't have a full keel it wasn't worth much
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51   #60

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffk View Post
I have read several recent posts regarding the Safety, Moral and Ethical points of cruising Single-handle, but what I want to ask "Is it really enjoyable?". I do all of my sailing on the Hudson River single-handed and enjoy the peace and quite of sailing alone, but after 5 or 6 hours, I sometimes feel my eyelids drooping and know it's time to head back to the dock. How do you handle a cruise of 4 to 5 weeks? Is it Fun? One of my goals is to cruise up to Maine, and I know my wife would join me(via car) but getting their would be up to just me

I was single handed for 15 years before meeting my wife, by ICW, daysailing the coast or islands, or getting occasional crew.

The only way to singlehand offshore, is to have no one on watch while one sleeps. This is technically illegal, but more important, irresponsible and unfair to other sailors.

When it is dark and/or low visibility, it takes TWO sets of keen eyes to avoid collision.

There are literally 10,000 X as many boats out there cruising as there were 50 years ago, when this practice was no big deal.

Please consider...

Tags
cruising, fun, single