Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 15:57   #1

is it possible to truck 38` sailboat cheaply from a point on w coast to a gulf marina

Hello,

if we don`t sell tzegunka, whom i'm listing here in classifieds, we are thinking if we can afford to truck it.

so we appreciate feedback if any had experience recently. like should we sail from Charleston, OR to Winchester Bay due to less traffic then say SF or San Diego?

+ any trucks that we can catch with empty load?

we are trying to locate haul out marinas in gulf, thinking port Arthur? but yet to define. anyone know of one? the boat yard was quite expensive.

so we will continue this search + or sail to Guatemala + be trucked over.

thank you, kara
kareje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:37   #2

Re: is it possible to truck 38` sailboat cheaply from a point on w coast to a gulf ma

Dont know if it is still true, but 30 years ago I had a boat shipped across country, and the driver said that the height made more of a difference in price than the beam. It had to do with detouring around low overpass,s. Deep draft and a pilot house might cost more than a wider but lower boat. Be prepared for the companies to want to know the height from bottom of keel to the highest point on the boat, and also the exact width._____Good Luck ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 21:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: is it possible to truck 38` sailboat cheaply from a point on w coast to a gulf ma

If you want to make a really rough estimate I ship cargo by truck a lot and the base rate is usually $1.50/mile plus fuel surcharge (varies with the price of diesel that week).

Shipping boats is usually more. Like Grant said, the size can be an issue. Tall requires detours to miss low bridges and such, wide requires special wide load permits.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37   #4

Another thought, You are more likely to find an empty truck in a major port like SF or San Diego, than you are in a small port in Oregon. The larger port may be a PITA, but more boats will be delivered there, so more empty haulbacks available. Just something to think about._______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

"is it possible to truck 38` sailboat cheaply from a point on w coast to a gulf marina"

Define cheaply.

As a point of reference, shipping a 40' fixed keel coast to coast in the US, including haulout, derigging, and rerigging at the other end is going to run approximately $15,000. As mentioned, cost of the actual transport is going to be a function of height as the truck needs to follow a route with adequate clearance. In general, it's cheaper to remove arches and hard dodgers to decrease height than it is to reroute to accommodate them.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53   #6

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

For $15000. you could ship with Dockwise or Yachtpath,and save all the derigging work.Easier on boat as well.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07   #7

thanks all!, sorry I should be clearer, we are 10` high, 9`2 wide, 18000 pounds + never would pay that Dockwise fee. i'm a peace activist building communities, so I will keep searching + yet to define haulout on gulf side, to give zip code for estimates.

I appreciate feedback, because I heard truckers like less traffic vs big cities.

this is choice I choose to do what I want, it leaves me broke but very happy, change is coming soon we will sail again.

good day all! kara
Old 02-05-2013, 13:55   #8

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Try uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves and see what estimates you get, and then see if they have references and have done it before.

I had my Ericson shipped the other way for 6K, 10 years ago, but the shipper went bust shortly afterwards.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:00   #9

last year I tried uship + it appeared to be similar once their fees where added. so I tried a few contacts + I think to Brownsville, but all too much for me.

so folks please don't let me whiplash you, for we co_evolve in the moment, + I still searching marina haul out in port Arthur area/Louisiana, then we will call some trucks. + if can't go figure we may sail south, continue to try to sell + who knows maybe build a sailing scowl, to fit in to plans.

thanks for your thoughts, together we will figure it out.

good day, kara
Old 02-05-2013, 15:34   #10

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

have you thought about hiring a delivery crew to sail it around through the Panama Canal? Is that more costly?
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45   #11

well we sail our self, that is another plan on the table to sail to Guatemala where Pat Rains I think is name + her husband are experienced captains, he reposts pacific side + she does gulf. I don't have notes in front of me but I think that is the spelling.

we will be on a one trip for our life as networkers sharing solutions, so we ill either consider building a sailing scowl or sailing tygy their, + last year when I checked a trucker would put you on for 500$ or so, not even have to take the mast down + drive you to the gulf. so details have to be updated if we consider at that time. also I heard other does also near panama + then yes panama is expensive. so beyond our budget if we want to pursue our exchange for humanity + all life that supports us.

but watch that tehuantepac + papagayo, i'm spelling it wrong. supposedly better weather reporting then when we got snockered for 7 days + 7 nights non stop in a 42` wharram catamarand we built.

supposedly you have a foot on shore or way off. we where 450 miles off, as we would see fishing boats windows get blown out, tri behind us with a piano, went down + CG I think saved them. so wharram is good this way in his desighn for I beams that we laminated, tied together, sun dried + boat just torques with those 35` waves, each one I thought we would pitch pole, but I not as good as lovee, he has surfed 40 fters off of BC, too late in the year, when I had to have surgery.

but some global weather patterns are tough, we did 2 hrs on + off for 7 full days + went 1 + 1/2 knots against currents + confused seas + ended up in costa rica. then went over to Australia back thru marshalls to HI to Ak + US. which people said crazy but lovy tied odd the tiller + we barely touched it with a few stationary fronts + 52 days later I think from marshalls got blown in big time into Kodiak. we fell asleep + I awakened to the tinkling of calm fog, water hitting rocks, for we had really gotten blown in off a preconceived idea. luckily with such dense fog, we could see exactly then where land was + then when continued on went into very high winds, fog + could only feel the rumbling of boats passing, we had no radar.

so respect to all those behind us + those that still do primitive sailing.

so the adventure continues.

good day + happy sail to those out their or those that want to, thanks for your thoughts.

right now i'm busy working at Coos Bay March Against Monsanto, please join in where ever you are, it is a global issue + we have local solutions, but it takes us all. plus still looking for haul out in texas. wow I can't believe how difficult this has been to try to google + locate them.

so we keep at it, kara
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57   #12

wow, that's a narrow boat for 38 ft! Might help with the cost a bit, not sure what the max width is all states but I think you can trailer 9-2 here in washington. 38 ft is not likley to go with other boats on a truck.. too much length. My guess is roughly $3 per mile. at 10ft high you might just be under height and under width which is a good thing for sure $ wise. Still , it aint cheap....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 19:34   #13

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
For $15000. you could ship with Dockwise or Yachtpath,and save all the derigging work.Easier on boat as well.
He would be lucky to get the boat to Panama for that price... To Texas try about $25k

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27   #14

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Kareje,check with "Hotshots Boat Transport",they may be the affordable choice.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07   #15

.... and read the thread regarding boats being held hostage by shippers part way to their destination! I would only go with someone who's been shipping a long time and ships for Brokers/builders etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat