Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 10:08   #16

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: is it possible to truck 38` sailboat cheaply from a point on w coast to a gulf ma

If your height is 10' you should be able to ship via a regular drop-deck trailer. Most sailboats are higher and boat shippers use special low-boy trailers to handle them. If you made your own cradle might be reasonable price (but building a cradle a big job - maybe modify an existing one. Needs to be strong!)

Keep in mind that a poor shipping job can do serious damage to a boat. A cheap approach can end up costing more all said and done.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:16   #17

Re: is it possible to truck 38` sailboat cheaply from a point on w coast to a gulf ma

Yeah, had my 30' shipped twice, mast damage the first time, Hull damage the second time. (mid 80's)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 17:40   #18

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

I understand you want to ship your boat from the west coast to the Gulf area, say Port Arthur. Correct?

I am in Orange, Texas looking for transport to San Francisco.

Truckers like return jobs in the bag and will typically quote lower prices if the don't have to look for a return job or run empty going back.

Send me a p.m. and maybe we can coordinate an arrangement of this type through UShip.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 17:56   #19

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Dont know if it is still true, but 30 years ago I had a boat shipped across country, and the driver said that the height made more of a difference in price than the beam. It had to do with detouring around low overpass,s. Deep draft and a pilot house might cost more than a wider but lower boat. Be prepared for the companies to want to know the height from bottom of keel to the highest point on the boat, and also the exact width._____Good Luck ____Grant.
Still true, at least as of 2008. The shipper who moved my 35' catamaran with 15'9" beam from Anacortes, WA to Baltimore, MD said he would rather move my boat than a sport-fisherman any day.

This site might help:
"How to Avoid the Perils of Hiring a Transporter to Haul Your Boat."
https://sites.google.com/site/global...haul-your-boat

Marshall
Old 20-05-2013, 20:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
I understand you want to ship your boat from the west coast to the Gulf area, say Port Arthur. Correct?

I am in Orange, Texas looking for transport to San Francisco.

Truckers like return jobs in the bag and will typically quote lower prices if the don't have to look for a return job or run empty going back.

Send me a p.m. and maybe we can coordinate an arrangement of this type through UShip.

armido
thank you for replying, it appears the fees are beyond are budget so we are rethinking. as well still trying to sell. I tried uship last year + their fees added up so it was not a deal at least for me then.

are you uship, if not why do you need to arrange thru them?

yes I do understand if have a empty load some thing is good + can be cheaper if we organize together. so sir I need to know your fees. as well are you saying you would rather pick us up in san franciso vs where at in Charleston, Oregon. do you have a boat yard in mind?

actually we are thinking to go to Winchester, Oregon to do some work, what do you think about their? + when are you thinking? we wanted to wait until hurricane ended but if Winchester would leave before/around oct 1st. if southern port would have to define + leave here then latest august.

so rather then waste your time share your desires/fees please. can email; kjlincoln8@yahoo.com

good day, kara
kareje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 21:00   #21

thanks everyone,

i'll get a few more estimates = then rethink, so please don't waste your energy.

good day, kara
kareje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat