Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2014, 20:25   #121
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Inability to keep the water out > Long distance rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The Erickson-style, yes. But I had in mind a belt-driven pump with suction hose inlet.

Yes , still don't like long pipes , blockages , suction loss , etc. prefer to now bring pump to area. , but hey , engine pump better then no pump.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 10-04-2014, 20:35   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Lol I've been feeling crook the last couple of days and playing on forums when I should be working!

Sorry minaret.
to err is human.....sometimes i have been pulled up for ripping the heads off and doing unspeakable things down necks

cant see any harm done

Old 10-04-2014, 20:42   #123

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

On Terra Nova, with an internally ballasted keel, the engine sits just forward of the deepest part of the bilge, which is several feet deeper than the engine. So a pickup would be extremely close to the engine/pump.

I like a diesel powered pump for the huge fuel reserves and safety. But a separate, gasoline fed crash pump could save your boat if the engine is submerged.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 20:50   #124

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
For engines with lots of clearance directly above or to one side:

Have a large drum (pressure cooker pot?) that fits to the crankshaft like a standard hand crank does (releases when engine starts).

Lock crankshaft with a piece or rope wrapped around the drum opposite of the desired rotation.

Wrap bungee cord around drum 2 or 3 turns in the desired rotation direction. Affix other end of bungee several feet above or to the side. Add however many cords needed to start engine (discovered by trial and error).

When ready to start engine, cut the rope (stay the hell out of the way of that drum when it comes flying off the engine).

Steve
A similar idea:

I seem to recall reading that some traditional sailing craft (perhaps Thames barges?) in the early days of diesel auxiliaries used a weight hoisted on a halyard with a manual winch to provide the motive power for starting. The fall of the halyard was wrapped around the engine flywheel and the weight allowed to drop to the deck.

Perhaps for emergency start on a modern engine (especially one with compression release), a drum could be bolted to the crankshaft pulley and a system of snatch blocks and appropriate attachment points used to provide a fair lead from the companionway to the drum.

Use your heaviest anchor for the falling weight and stack up berth cushions on the cabin top to catch it!

The little 1GM10 Yanmar on my catboat came with a hand crank. That's all I need. You big guys have it tougher.
Old 10-04-2014, 21:47   #125
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Lol I've been feeling crook the last couple of days and playing on forums when I should be working!

Sorry minaret.

It's all good...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 21:49   #126
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
A similar idea:

I seem to recall reading that some traditional sailing craft (perhaps Thames barges?) in the early days of diesel auxiliaries used a weight hoisted on a halyard with a manual winch to provide the motive power for starting. The fall of the halyard was wrapped around the engine flywheel and the weight allowed to drop to the deck.

Perhaps for emergency start on a modern engine (especially one with compression release), a drum could be bolted to the crankshaft pulley and a system of snatch blocks and appropriate attachment points used to provide a fair lead from the companionway to the drum.

Use your heaviest anchor for the falling weight and stack up berth cushions on the cabin top to catch it!

The little 1GM10 Yanmar on my catboat came with a hand crank. That's all I need. You big guys have it tougher.

Or the wrap the main sheet around a drum on the flywheel method.

Old 10-04-2014, 21:56   #127
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On Terra Nova, with an internally ballasted keel, the engine sits just forward of the deepest part of the bilge, which is several feet deeper than the engine. So a pickup would be extremely close to the engine/pump.

I like a diesel powered pump for the huge fuel reserves and safety. But a separate, gasoline fed crash pump could save your boat if the engine is submerged.

I like this. I use gas crash pumps all the time in the boatyard, sometimes it takes as many as four of them at once to keep a wooden boat which has dried out enough to open the seams a bit from sinking in the slip. They can be a bitch to start, especially if you have been running gas with ethanol in them, as it eats the carb float needle same as it does in outboards. If I was planning on relying on one in an emergency, I'd either buy a new one and never use it unless needed as a crash pump, or use and maintain it often to be sure it's working. I think most people would let one sit and it wouldn't start when they needed it. That's why I like the sound of this.

Old 10-04-2014, 21:56   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I seem to remember the big rig in the movie "The Road Warrior" having a shotgun cartridge start. Is this a done thing with truck diesels? Or am I imagining that? Or was it just in the movie?
You weren't imagining it, it was in Road warrior (but in a fanciful way)

There is a dinkum implementation, as described below.

It brings a new sense of seriousness to the expression "keep your powder dry, now"

Coffman engine starter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-04-2014, 21:59   #129

Quote:
On Terra Nova ...a pickup would be extremely close to the engine/pump.

Ah, yes, indeed, now, but wouldn't it be a fine thing if you could start and run your main engine even if it WAS submerged ? ? ? Eh ??
Old 10-04-2014, 22:06   #130
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Ah, yes, indeed, now, but wouldn't it be a fine thing if you could start and run your main engine even if it WAS submerged ? ? ? Eh ??

Especially if you had a monster pump with a belt drive you could quickly set up to it. Bet you could repurpose an agricultural pump real easy for this. They have all sorts of pumps for irrigating fields and the like which are set up to run directly off an engine like that.

Old 10-04-2014, 22:18   #131

Boat: PETERSON 44

You need a crash pump.not because it will work or start or prime. It won't start it won't prime but who cares.I think when the crash pump failed to prime or start I would be so adrenal charged I could bail thousands of gallons for days. I would probably smash the dam thing with my axe. Yes axe. I have one just in case the crash pump fails and I need to bash the hell out of it.
Then with the desire to kill those still supporting ethanol I would pump and bail with simple pumps and buckets so I could post on cf how stupid it is to have all this crap to make us safe.
There you have it great historical fodder if I go off and sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2014, 22:54   #132

That's why we need an axe:

a hatchet would be much more practical,

but an axe is *so* much more satisfying ...
Old 10-04-2014, 23:41   #133

For those talking about gasoline crash pumps, just remember how well they worked for the Bounty 2. Besides I dont want to store something with gas below decks. If you store them on deck, they become a ball of rust. They must be maintained constantly or they are junk. Most gas generators are not designed for a salt environment. Probably not a practical idea. _____Grant.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09   #134

Boat: Island Packet 40

It seems I'm an oddball in Australia and do not conform to the she'll be right mentality. Probably because of my Canadian background.Australians do have a "she'll be right mate" attitude and appear very casual about a lot of stuff however they seem to work their way through things pretty to good outcomes and generally when there is some sort of disaster it becomes obvious that they and the communities they live in are fairly well organized. In general they prefer order but are not very paranoid people.

I was concerned about being able to start my 50hp diesel engine when I replaced the o;d one as the new did not have valve lifters or a hand crank so I fitted two starter motors and have two battery systems.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:25   #135

Evilbay has 2" and 3" electric/pull start diesel pumps, probably Chinese, at a low price. If I do buy one I expect to rework the pump cover with over-centre or swivelling-screw clamps for easy removal - full trash pumps being about double the price.

I only remember seeing gasoline-fuelled crash pumps mentioned in this thread and I'm curious to know who would also avoid the diesel ones - and why?

Weighing the choice between those and a 3" pump belt-driven by my (bulletproof?) Bukh 36. Separate system/fuel supply/transportability is attractive, Chinese manufacture not so much.

Just for fun... an attachment for an outboard (mentioned earlier I think) I see as being very possible and as having potentially massive capability. Engine remains on transom, is tilted up, housing with suction pipe is fitted, engine is tilted back down. No need to carry the engine indoors and it's cooled with clean water.
Never to be used to dig for anything on the bottom of course, even if the housing is reversible. Pretty good fire hose though?

Naysayers ready... steady... GO!!

Tags
rescue, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: