Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2013, 02:23   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
If you ever Loose your Rudder!

Recommendations, lots of threaded rod/bolts/washers (assuming you have a pole and something to bolt onto it) dyneema or spectra line, some non stretchy line would have been a godsend and some sort of turnbuckle/tie rods which would allow you to tighten ropes without winches.

We lost our rudder some 380 nm from the azores, drifted for several days as it was too rough to do anything, then rigged up a jury rudder and by luck then got tow to flores.

Drogues do not work, any drag devices are too cumbersome for any sort of distance, steering with ropes on winches is tiresome and requires several people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3679.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	63916  

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:26   #2

Re: If you ever loose your rudder!!!!!

emergency tiller
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3661.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	63917  

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28   #3

The topping lift holding spinnaker pole,lashed around backstay, and lashings under the transom to winches to hold it in tight
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3691.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	63918  

Old 11-07-2013, 02:35   #4

So what we did was, drilled holes though the spinnaker pole, attached cut parts of the bunk beds with bolts/threaded rods, attached several shackles to the backstay turnbuckles, put a couple of blocks on the pushpit for fairleads, used the topping lift to hold the pole in place we bolted a shackle halway up the pole to link to the shackle on the chainplates as a downhaul, we took a rope under the rudder and took it from a back cleat under the transom to a winch o the other side of the boat to hold the bottom of the pole in place, we took the end off the pole and stuffed a grapling anchor and a few other bits in it to weigh it down, we attached a shackle to the outside of the rudder with 2 ropes on it led back to the cockpit for steering, which we then attached to the emergency tiller, which gave wheel steering.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:54   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Nice effort.

In practice did you find that she needed much active steering with the rudder, or was simply having one on the stern of primary use?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:48   #6

Prop walk definitely works forwards as well as backwards with no rudder, we had to offset it by 10 degrees just to counter the prop walk and drag as it was located off centre. You definitely need a way of steering quickly, we had zero wind the last few days, so i cant comment on what it would have been like under sail, though i can say without a doubt you can heave to (in a fashion) with no rudder, we made 70nm the first 2 days hove to,fiddling with the sails could control the direction in a limited fashion (about 40-50 degrees control before too close to gybing), but yes you need to actively steer under engine and lots of it, kind of like a car when it starts fishtailing.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37

Did something similar in mid english channel using the spinnaker pole and a washboard.

I like the idea of the topping lift.

We found the most difficult thing to do was turning the pole to achieve steering, but were able to get the boat back through the needles channel without too much difficulty.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:05   #8

Wow, necessity is the mother of invention for sure! Well done.
Old 11-07-2013, 16:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Re: If you ever Loose your Rudder!

These are the kinds of things folks should think about before doing a crossing. I can't tell you how many folks limp into Hilo after loosing a rudder. Many use their windvane arm or windvane rudder but if you don't have that then you'll need to come up with something similar to stevensuf. Bunk/v-berth bottoms and whatever poles you might have aboard plus lashing, hand drill with bits and screws and lots of tough small line.
If your rudder is still attached but the stock is broken or spinning you might be able to drill a hole in the top trailing edge and get a port and starboard control line to it. Back in the old days many of us had thes all set up before we left port.
kind regards,

Tags
rudder

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: