Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 06:20   #1

??ICW with Mariner 6hp capability??

Hello friends! I've been off the forum lately, bc I've been on liveaboards in safe Biscayne Bay, Miami, but now need some major insight! I bought a Tanzer 22 on Ebay, that is located in Manteo, Outer Banks, NC. It was for $300, & turn-key, with a working Nissan Mariner 6hp on the back. The gentlman bought him and his wife a 40 footer, so they donated, & is legit. So, my first thought was to flip it, and make a grand or 2. I've purchased and bought a couple 32 footers from Ft. Lauderdale, & came down the bridge infested ICW with, and so familiar. But, these had 50+ gallon fuel tanks. The Tanzer will have a 6 gallon fuel tank, & i would have to purchase many more. My question is, what are some of the distances between fuel docks on the ICW south of North Carolina, & would i make it? Tides, bridges, and a-hole motorboats wizzing by seems to be a huge problem. I would rather spend time sailing on the outside for economical reasons, but would you try!?? I am by myself, remind you. Thanks so much for reading, and any insights would be helpful. Cheers

UneeklyCommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:20   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: ??ICW with Mariner 6hp capability??

With a couple of extra jerry cans I don't think you'll have too many issues, that Nissan isn't a fuel hog, and with drafts (both air and water) like a 22 tanzer should be relatively uncomplicated.

SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:40   #3

Just to clarify Harbinger, you are saying INSIDE the ICW, correct? Thank you so much for your reply. I give you a hypothetical high five, Eric
UneeklyCommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:47   #4

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201, 1969 Potter 15

Wide open my Nissan 6hp burns somewhere around 1/2 gallon per hour, considering you are not going to be running that wide open you should have some decent run time.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:49   #5

I personally wouldn't go outside in a 22' sailboat with a little gas outboard.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:12   #6

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I personally wouldn't go outside in a 22' sailboat with a little gas outboard.
You might not but others do and have sailed long distances on 22' Boats.

Bill Wolfram, born 1950, sailed a Bristol 22, We-Tu, from Port Townsend, Washington, to Australia and back, around 2002-2004.

There used to be pictures online of his boat loaded but I can no longer find them. The cabin was almost entirely filled with supplies.......

Also, they used to race Hobie 16's from ft Lauderdale FL to Virginia Beach on the outside the whole way.........the good new was you could always sail right thru the surf to shore if you needed to. In later years they moved up to larger 20' Beach Cats with spinnakers

The hardest part though was getting offshore through the surf on some mornings

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:20   #7

I knew that was coming . Of course. Look at someone like Hugo Vihlen.

This just doesn't sound good to me. A 22' ebay boat with a gas outboard. I'd keep it inside, but everyone has their own level of risk tolerance.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 14:03   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
??ICW with Mariner 6hp capability??

I think fuel burn ought to be about 1gl per 3 hours.
If so thatís 18 hours on the 6 gl tank, and 15 hours for each 5 gl can of gas you would carry.
Speed would be what, about 4 kts?

That is actually a pretty good range, I would motor it, down the ICW myself, and I think fuel isnít an issue
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:34   #9

Some years ago I took a 22ft. boat from Jacksonville, Florida, to Toronto, Canada, with a 6hp Johnson outboard on it, carried an extra jerry can of fuel and had no problems. Speed at about 4.5knots at cruising revs, so it took a while and the tidal flow through some areas meant it was better to wait for a favourable tidal current. But you can anchor temporarily in many places. Captain Bob's guides are excellent for ICW slow poking along.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Carry a jerry can. Buy an ICW book, they show bridges and fuel spots. Make sure to tune that engine up and that your bilge pump works well. Make sure you have a vhf, hand held or otherwise, that works for calling bridges. Have fun!
Be aware that at many bridges the current flows fast, maybe even like 5 knots. Going with it you will have little steerage. Dont get too close until the bridge is ready to open. But you may not have to open too many with that little boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56   #11

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think fuel burn ought to be about 1gl per 3 hours.
If so thatís 18 hours on the 6 gl tank, and 15 hours for each 5 gl can of gas you would carry.
Speed would be what, about 4 kts?

That is actually a pretty good range, I would motor it, down the ICW myself, and I think fuel isnít an issue
I think youíre very very good with those numbers. Iíd think that boat would do better than 4 knots on average. Only saying that because I pushed our Columbia with a 4 hp 2stroke at 4-5 knots on ICW.

On the idea of going outside with your fuel cautions in mind....
Every huge storm and hurricane have left the ICW with a few less gas providers each time.
If you go outside, you actually are lengthening your distances and times traveled but not any further south. Compare your fairly straight line down the ditch, to the loop and stop on the outside. The same even applies when you need to get off the ditch track to fuel up in a port or harbor or marina on the inlet to an inland provider of services. You will find some areas where you can sail on the ditch track. I understand you may be able to sail outside and save gas, sometimes youíre with no wind...
Of course everything is relative...
Carry fuel and do some ditch and you will figure out what works best.
Good luck!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16   #12

Well, in answer to your question, it can be done. As previously mentioned, the ICW south of North Carolina is composed of a series of tidal estuaries with a good deal of current. It seems to the poor mariner that the flow is always against you.
I'd unstep the mast to avoid having to have bridges open.
I'd try to score a trailer and haul the boat down the highway. There was a time when transiting the ICW in a blow boat was enjoyable, but not so much anymore.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:24   #13

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

Load the app 'Tidal Currents Trip Planner'.
Allows you to plan your trip with the best current assist.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:39   #14

Boat: Seidelmann 299 30

In 2006 my daughter and I smiled and motored (ICW) from the Chesapeake to Forked River, NJ. Only problem we had was the POWER BOATERS who intentionally tried to swamp our boat.

We were required to exist the ICW at Cape Cod because of a fixed span bridge.
Have a good trip!
louisstubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:39   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneeklyCommon View Post
Hello friends! I've been off the forum lately, bc I've been on liveaboards in safe Biscayne Bay, Miami, but now need some major insight! I bought a Tanzer 22 on Ebay, that is located in Manteo, Outer Banks, NC. It was for $300, & turn-key, with a working Nissan Mariner 6hp on the back. The gentlman bought him and his wife a 40 footer, so they donated, & is legit. So, my first thought was to flip it, and make a grand or 2. I've purchased and bought a couple 32 footers from Ft. Lauderdale, & came down the bridge infested ICW with, and so familiar. But, these had 50+ gallon fuel tanks. The Tanzer will have a 6 gallon fuel tank, & i would have to purchase many more. My question is, what are some of the distances between fuel docks on the ICW south of North Carolina, & would i make it? Tides, bridges, and a-hole motorboats wizzing by seems to be a huge problem. I would rather spend time sailing on the outside for economical reasons, but would you try!?? I am by myself, remind you. Thanks so much for reading, and any insights would be helpful. Cheers
Buy a trailer.

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, marine