Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 11:22   #31

Re: I Want To Cross The Atlantic

[QUOTE=accomplice;2100839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdegetau View Post
Well I want to get the boat after I have learned all I have to learn, it will be easier to know what I want by then./QUOTE]

We don't learn all we have to learn until its too late to be of any use to us!

For some things, you need to make your own mistakes to learn; for other things, you can learn by sailing as crew for another skipper. I suggest learning on other people's boats. This way you can learn not only the what and the how of sailing, but if you ask good questions, the why as well.
That's a great idea, which is the best way to find a spot on another boat?
Fdegetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 11:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "Well I want to get the boat after I have learned all I have to learn, it will be easier to know what I want by then."

Hmmm... How can you learn "all I have to learn" if you don't have a boat? Get a boat, a modest one, one that you can sell again without to much trouble, or one you can simply walk away from when you've extracted all the knowledge you can from it. Combine that with the formal courses, and in some years - the number depending on how much of 'a natural" you are - you'll be ready to do what you propose.

Quote: "It's a big responsiblily".

TrentePieds
Oh for now a friend is borrowing me a hunter 34, I don't know if owning a boat it's overrated. But I really want that haha
Old 19-04-2016, 11:29   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
An option I haven't seen posted yet is to find a seasoned sailor who would be willing to sail with you for this first passage. There are delivery skippers who may be willing to do this for a price. The right person will be able to teach all aboard a great deal about seamanship and navigation in the course of an ocean crossing.

What do you hope to do once you get to the other side? Learning to keep watch and keep a boat moving in the right direction is only a very small fraction of the skills you'll need to master.

If you find the right captain, you will have the opportunity of learning a great deal in a three or four week crossing.
Thank you very much! Which is the best way to find "the right captain"?
Old 19-04-2016, 11:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
This questions comes up very often. Many good threads on the same.

Personally I was raised sailing/racing/cruising and was just "what we did" as a family. If that was not my experience and I was starting later in life I would say race and immerse oneself in the sport/lifestyle.

There is so much more to crossing an ocean that just understanding the points of sail and basic boat handling. Much requires muscle memory and just plain experience in a variety of stressful situations. This happens rapidly on a race course (keel boats with an experienced crew, not dinghys). In addition competency in the myriad of systems, navigation, provisioning, logistics, etc, etc, etc. Particularly if you plan to sail alone or with family who will be relying on your skills to, in a worse case scenario, survive.

My wife did J World early in our marriage. It helped and she took and passed all the exams on and off water, that being said was definitely not ready for anything like you are contemplating.

Dive in, will certainly be an interesting journey for you!
Thank you very much! I will look into that, I hope I can start very soon!
Old 19-04-2016, 11:34   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
there is no school that will teach you who you are. except one the school of life, of course you'l have to be self aware to get anything from it. Either you are a mariner or you're not. There is no limit on what any one can do, history has proven that. Take a step at a time and check your dreams with reality and watch for EGO, no one is immune to it. If you stay self aware and put in the time and effort...and there will be sacrifices...you'll get to your dreams when the time is right...or you'll discard them for new ones ;-)

Enjoy the Journey of life
Thank you Tnkerman!
Old 19-04-2016, 11:35   #36
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Oh, I already have made 4 days trips around Mexicans islands and I love it, that's why I want to know how far I can go
That's not even close to being ready to even consider whether you want to cross an ocean. You have done the nice calm short things (very short ones). People do these all the time and once they experience a mild unpleasant 24 hour trip sell their boat and never go again.

So I'll write it again; go out and sail and when you are closer to being in position of crossing an ocean you will know your answers.
Old 19-04-2016, 11:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka View Post
Not much skill need in middle of the ocean, maybe a few hours lesson,
but boat handling and coastal business is real art.
To learn handling , you need a boat and practise
To learn navigation, you need a book or school if you please,
I personally use books on the boat, love it last 35 years.
Thanks! Can you recommend me some of those books?
Old 19-04-2016, 11:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That's not even close to being ready to even consider whether you want to cross an ocean. You have done the nice calm short things (very short ones). People do these all the time and once they experience a mild unpleasant 24 hour trip sell their boat and never go again.

So I'll write it again; go out and sail and when you are closer to being in position of crossing an ocean you will know your answers.
Sorry I'm not sure if I'm following you, what do you mean by 24 hour trip? Because what I meant by 4 days trip it's like 72 more hours than a 24hours trip
Old 19-04-2016, 11:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I've been on the water for 69 of my 73 yrs. I haven't had any desire to cross an ocean. Get some good doses of adrenalin then deciding on that. Getting beat to death a couple of days at a time is enough for me.
Well I just want to sail others seas besides Mexico and America
Old 19-04-2016, 11:53   #40

The Capable Cruiser, Yacht Master offshore, The Finley Fitted Yacht, After 50 thousand miles, Precision Cruising and then of course 2-3 books by Tristan Jones is a must.
On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 13:20   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Water View Post
The Capable Cruiser, Yacht Master offshore, The Finley Fitted Yacht, After 50 thousand miles, Precision Cruising and then of course 2-3 books by Tristan Jones is a must.
Ohh puh Im sorry but this is teaching from a high horse!

The capable cruiser - how to decide for a beginner or even a master?
The perfect fitted yacht? I have proof of a brand new 2 billion Dollar "Rolls Royce" yacht that lost hydraulic steering and nearly the mast as the windward shrout broke... in a force 10... perfect helmsman to tack

No let me say you gotta be a do-it-yourselfer as every vessel has to be repaired every day. Next to say yes learn your seamanship - means knots sailrepairs - dont try to tack your way on a long trail - learn to predict the weather and streams - THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT THING - and stay afloat.

So - buy a boat - dismount it completely - remount it - learn weather perfect - dont forget the COLREGS -

You have 2 propulsions sails and engine... as long as you are moving (correctly) it's okay. Don't give to much on How to sail - you'll find it out.

short:
be a handyman - know your boats technics
KNOW how to avoid storms and heavy weather
learn your knots an make yourself plans "What if.."
skip astronavigation - you have at minimum 4 gps on board
and when you passed your a.m. selftest period:

GO GO GO

p.s.:
there are a lot of Captains out there and they know perfect what to do - in the marina

real sailors don't discuss it - they do it.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 13:50   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Well I just want to sail others seas besides Mexico and America
Pick your weather and be careful. I can't add anything useful. Be careful about what is posted.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 13:58   #43

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

[QUOTE=Fdegetau;2101050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
That's a great idea, which is the best way to find a spot on another boat?
The best way? I'm not sure. There are crew wanted/available postings here on CF, on 7knots, reddit, CL and many other places.

Many skippers look for extra hands for long passages, but if you have no experience sailing or being offshore, some of them might pass you over.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 14:14   #44

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
No let me say you gotta be a do-it-yourselfer as every vessel has to be repaired every day. Next to say yes learn your seamanship - means knots sailrepairs - dont try to tack your way on a long trail - learn to predict the weather and streams - THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT THING - and stay afloat.

So - buy a boat - dismount it completely - remount it - learn weather perfect - dont forget the COLREGS -

You have 2 propulsions sails and engine... as long as you are moving (correctly) it's okay. Don't give to much on How to sail - you'll find it out.

short:
be a handyman - know your boats technics
KNOW how to avoid storms and heavy weather
learn your knots an make yourself plans "What if.."
skip astronavigation - you have at minimum 4 gps on board
and when you passed your a.m. selftest period:

GO GO GO
Good stuff
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 14:48   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

laika tks for applauding - that's what I am living... I have a Vagabond 47 built 1981 bringing it to my standards, renewing electricity and plumbing threwing out a bloody AC and 5 - in words - 5 TV sets, when I'm thru I'll have all my wiring in main distributor tubes, as high as possible above the bilge a 4000 GpH Big Boy emergency Bilgepump and that sort of thing.

AND trying to KEEP IT AS SIMPLE as possible
AND I do everything by meself just to know where every bloody wire is and how it is connected using somewhat ancient techniques - the proven ones
no autofuses, electronics only where it is absolutely required and that sort of stuff to my researched highest possible standards.

I'm not hashing Ohhs, just wanna tell followers what I think is the best way
to survive every ******** that comes around.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote