Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2016, 19:03   #46

Re: I Want To Cross The Atlantic

Quote: "I've been on the water for 69 of my 73 yrs. I haven't had any desire to cross an ocean. Get some good doses of adrenalin then deciding on that. Getting beat to death a couple of days at a time is enough for me."

Right on, Cadence :-)! Only go BlueWater if they pay you really, really, REALLY well :-0)!

TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 00:48   #47

Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Just go?....? Ah the fictional romantic view of water sailing">blue water sailing. Oh, I need a 12 mm spanner to repair that item that might lead to my death. Never mind, I'll pick one up when (if) I get to the other side. You must think that Captain Ron is real.
12 mm spanner?
Give me one realistic scenario where someones life would be lost for dropping the only 12 mm socket overboard on a 20-30 day Canary island to Caribbean cruise, apart from jumping in and trying to retrieve it.

fictional romantic view?
It is a darn flotilla crossing in fair winds for most, I fully understand that some wannabes want to do spreadsheets list of every part on a boat, how to repair and with what tool and still at Las Palmas running around like mad looking for a extra what not spare part and deciding not to cross as they cant find it and so on, there is a word for this type....

Captain Ron,? had to google that one, LOL.

I would not assume anything about the OP he has not told us, but would assume making sure there are basic tools on board is just as natural as taking on provisions.

Anyone mechanically inclined would probably take more than the basic set, if not, one could argue that anything more than hammer, adjustable spanner and a few knifes is extra and possibly life threatening.

Some radio chatter from last crossing where a few skippers got bored and decided to do some preventive maintenance, where extra tools could have made things life threatening.

- Hey i went and did this adjustment and broke that there, anyone have any ideas how to fix it now?
Was it broken to start with?
- No
Can you do with out it for now
- Yes, btw do you think using dental floss to put in a few stitches would be ok, the darn screwdriver slipped and poked myself in the arm.

-Hey anyone know anything about this brand of engine?
Yes, whats up.
-I was taking out the injector and damaged this banjo fitting beyond repair.
Darn, how about the injector, did you get it fixed?.
- haven't got that far yet, don't think it needs fixing, just wanted to inspect it.
(I actually was able to jury rig this one for him over the radio, high pressure fuel line, he did not have a spare for it and the original was not repairable.)

If you want to go you just gotta go, nothing to it.

On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 01:10   #48

Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Ohh puh Im sorry but this is teaching from a high horse!

The capable cruiser - how to decide for a beginner or even a master?
The perfect fitted yacht? I have proof of a brand new 2 billion Dollar "Rolls Royce" yacht that lost hydraulic steering and nearly the mast as the windward shrout broke... in a force 10... perfect helmsman to tack

No let me say you gotta be a do-it-yourselfer as every vessel has to be repaired every day. Next to say yes learn your seamanship - means knots sailrepairs - dont try to tack your way on a long trail - learn to predict the weather and streams - THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT THING - and stay afloat.

So - buy a boat - dismount it completely - remount it - learn weather perfect - dont forget the COLREGS -

You have 2 propulsions sails and engine... as long as you are moving (correctly) it's okay. Don't give to much on How to sail - you'll find it out.

be a handyman - know your boats technics
KNOW how to avoid storms and heavy weather
learn your knots an make yourself plans "What if.."
skip astronavigation - you have at minimum 4 gps on board
and when you passed your a.m. selftest period:

there are a lot of Captains out there and they know perfect what to do - in the marina

real sailors don't discuss it - they do it.
Where do you think he is going?

Reading any book on the subject does not hurt, not necessary, but docent hurt, there is info in all the books I posted.

"- buy a boat - dismount it completely - remount it -"
Now that is about the dumbest thing I have heard if one just wants to go, get the boat surveyed then have a blue water sailor who is not a control freak check it out for a flotilla crossing.

"skip astronavigation - you have at minimum 4 gps on board"
Do not do that!
Have at least a plastic sextant and a easy book on how to use it and interpret sun sights on board, you can learn that in a hour if a situation for that arises.
Also a RDF is a good backup to those GPS things
On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 17:08   #49

Get some navigation & radio education learn how to tie knots. Bring spare everything.
Lots of electronics Food Water, fishing gear. Grab the bull by the horns and always be ready for that elusive rogue wave. Have everything locked down. Don't carry too much sail for the wind speed. Keep a look out 24/7. I missed a ton of stuff.Good Luck I'm heading that way myself in September If I get it all together this summer.

Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: