Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-06-2013, 23:03   #31

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: I Haven't Been Able to Heave To

look on the bright side - most of the boats i've owned have been cantankerous pigs to go about in - not unusual to find myself in irons heading towards moored boats and cranking the bloody engine to get the bastard around...on my old trimaran i had to back the jib every time i tacked and hold it backed for way longer than ever felt right or the mongrel would back up and slobber down into the wind...sounds like your boat is a bit of a thoroughbred, you could experiment with a few other things - like letting the sheets go and see where she settles (if she does settle) - might be you have a pretty short fin keel - i find heaving to really useful but i'm embarassed to admit how long i'd been sailing before i even knew there was such a thing - didnt seem to be a problem.

charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16   #32

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

I have been successful INITIALLY heaving to with main/jib combination. But when hove to using this technique a change in wind strength, large enough wave or passing swell are all capable of altering boat direction. That's all you need for jib to fill on the opposite tack. She falls off and sails away. How far she goes before there is enough speed for her to possibly respond to the rudder - still lashed to weather - and once again heave to is questionable. Again, this depends upon wind strength, wave and swell direction and height.

If you are sailing alone and are below getting some sleep when this happens you are in danger of sailing onto a reef or other hazard before you realize what's happening.

This cannot occur if forereaching. Only a significant wind shift or current changing the direction of travel is cause for concern.

Heaving to under main and jib on a crewed boat where presumably there is always someone on watch, ready to act if the above described scenario occurs, is a different matter.

armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:27   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter

After searching way back, found the closest definition of heaving-to from older dictionaries based on commercial sailing terms is; using any possible sail combination or sails and sea-anchor to get your vessel to stop fore-reaching and lay relatively steady almost close-hauled.

Though the original writer posting here says it seems like a lot of work, figuring out how to get his boat to heave-to, let me assure you, once you figure it out, it becomes quick and easy to put into practice. But, it is harder to get a boat to heave-to and not move forward in winds under gale force, than in stronger stuff.

We always drop our headsails to heave to in stormy winds, on our long keeled boat and also on some of the race boats we've delivered. (Some of them need a small headsail to heave to well)

We've learned a useful trick for manuevering in relatively close quarters in lighter winds. We use a staysail and full mainsail, tack over without letting the staysail sheet go, then in a hove-to like position, the boat's speed drops by more than half and we can jink around in full control while we choose the exact spot where we want to set our anchor.

Good sailing, remember it's always about learning new tricks. That's what makes it so rewarding.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:35   #34

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
Well, there you go.

nolandinsight is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: