Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-09-2013, 17:46   #61

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
The "I almost died thread" I went to Vietnam in '68. Do I need to say more?
No, thank you for your service.

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 18:17   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Re: I Almost Died Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
No, thank you for your service.
I wanted to go.

They would not let me.

Does that count?

Old 19-09-2013, 18:27   #63

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I wanted to go. They would not let me. Does that count?
Yes, I knew several in this position. Glad you didn't go though.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 18:55   #64
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Ft lauderdale police nearly shot me. Had my dog on a retractable leash. The ones that have a barrel and grip with a cord that runs out. Had the dog a chessie swimming along as I walked down the beech close to the surf line. The leash barrel was held against my stomach. Someone called the cops thinking I had a gun. The cops came out of no where handguns pointed yelling hands in the air. I spun around not knowing what was up. Not sure why they didn't just blow me away on the spot. My memory is a voice of realization yelling its a dog it's a dog.
I didn't get a ticket for illegally having a dog on the beach. Still wonder how close they were to shooting me. Especially when I turned surprised and not raising my hands.
Similar thing happened to me years ago when I moved stateside. Stopped by the cops , asked for license , still had in brief case in the truck. ( rental car ) , jumped out , ran to open trunk in desire to get license. Cop screaming , full gun stance safety off a d cocked , Closest thing to being shot. I was always getting ticketed in the states. Lol, lost my Philly license on one occasion.

( where I grew up , it was regarded as very impolite to let the cop walk to your car , you always got out and met him outside , especially if raining , old habits an all.., but then nobody had guns lol )

Dave
Old 20-09-2013, 08:45   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post

Nearly run down by cruise ship. Down below sleeping, had bad feeling, went up to check on the watch keeper. He was snuggled up in his bunk fast asleep. Ran topside to find a cruise ship very very close, full on collision. As I looked up up up, I could see inside the ports of the cruise ship. Grabbed helm hard over, over riding the auto helm. Turned on engine, full throttle forward as the cruise ship tried to suck us up in his prop wash. Still get the shakes thinking about that one.
Guess this is why my biggest fear is of collisions, have got to really trust the watch keeper.
I have learned a lot on this thread, but the above post by OG is a real gem. Recently did the Columbia bank/cape flattery route twice. Once with a large crew and a few unproven sailors, once with just two of us, both trusted and known. Guess which one was less stressful?
Never underestimate the danger of a flake on the helm or at watch.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:33   #66

Boat: Lavranos, Atlantis 36, 36ft

I was about 10 or 11 , and my dad had just bought our boat, which required a total interior refit. My parents went to the club house for happy hour, and my brother and I were playing cards in the boat. We wanted to prepare something to eat, might have been 2 minute noodles. There was a main gas pipe that came that ran into a 'T' and had a valve on either end of the 'T', one went to the stove, the other to a fridge which was not there... We being clever little kids, could not remember which one of the valves we needed to open to use the stove, so we opened both... cooked our noodles and were fast asleep before long. Luckily my parents did not stay away too long. My dad freaked out when he got to the boat, smelled gas, and saw my brother and I out cold inside the boat.. he had to literally shake us awake. I remember we had to pump the (empty) bilges, and with buckets, scoop up the gas and throw it out over the side. Very scary thinking back now...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12   #67

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Just the other weekend I was sailing with 8 people on board in 20-25 kts true wind. New person at the helm and we went from close hauled to a wing on wing. We only needed to be wing on wing for less than 10 minutes to make our destination but I decided to put a preventer on the boom anyways "because he was new". on my way back to the cockpit I got distracted by another task and stopped right in front of the boom. shortly after that the "new helmsman" accidentally jibed and I was counting my blessings when all I felt on the back of my head and neck was a very slight grazing of the boom. Now I would like to think that if I didn't have the preventer that I would of not felt comfortable standing there and that situation wouldn't of happened but it taught me 2 things.
1. preventers work and should be used
2. my complacency and over confidence in new crew can get you dead
Old 03-10-2013, 04:32   #68

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I Almost Died, Well not but I could have killed s/v Beluga it stated 3 weeks go when Beluga got slipped for a nice new bottom paint, rigging checked, cut polish, ect and I got my perfectly good never let me down totally reliable Bukh serviced. melbourne has had wind yep over 60 knots so I have left her on the hard today the wind was only 15 knots so I got her put in the water and after work jumped on checked all systems and prepared to take her out into the bay from the docklands ship yard drop all lines and tell the misses to meet me at the mooring.

I kick off the shipping dock nealy 2mt above my deck and OMG im just drifting the motor is revving but no drive, I try to chuck the lines back up to the dock but the wind pushes me further away and over to the ships.

I manage to get reverse so I turn Beluga around and head in (in reverse ) the rudder take all my mite to stop it slamming, then OH NO now the wind has done a 180 and im heading for the dock so I bump the pier the bimbie goes under and pulls the aft in bang shi^ I made it chuck up the lines to the wife tie up and think how luckky I am.

Not that much damage but Ill find out tomorrow why I have no forward.
I know you experienced guys and girls would have just connected all the sails and sailed out off the port, but that to me was the first time I have ever felt I could lose my boat even when I had a partial knock down I knew Beluga would be ok when I got the sail down but this was like I was afrade for my kid. (if that makes any sense)

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:40   #69

Boat: 1973 Jacobsen 110'

I have to say that at some point most of us have had a learning experience that could have been a lot worse. I started this thread because I had just come with in 20' of a marine casualty from a sailboat that didn't know the rules, the lights or the whistle signals. I didn't almost die but he came pretty close.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23   #70

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Almost 16 and I was standing in a bosun's chair 40' above the deck, feeding a messenger line down for the main halyard. It was a fractional rig on a cat, so my school mate and I had used the jib halyard to get me most of the way up and then I just stood up in order to get to the mast head and then swung myself around to the back of the mast.

A large ferry passed and kicked up a wake. We started to move in the jerky fashion of a cat rather than the measured roll of a mono. I held on, right arm around the mast, feet in the bosun's chair, waiting for the movements to subside.

Suddenly a shroud parted and the mast toppled.

Unfortunately it toppled towards the shore which consisted of large boulders encased in concrete. Instinct meant I stretched my arm out in preparation for the impact. So I broke my left wrist, elbow, skull, eye socket, shattered my pelvis in 5 pieces and bruised my heart. At the same time the mast broke my collar bone which then entered my right lung. The messenger line was fishing line which had looped around a finger and cut it down to the bone.

In a coma for 2 weeks, 6 weeks in hospital, multiple operations, pins and screws to put everything back together. Had to learn to walk again.

Within 6 months my mate and I were hurling ourselves off bridges into the water 50' below. Teenagers chasing the adrenalin highs.

Now I am in my 40s, still climbing up masts, occasionally at sea, but like always I watch out for where the land is. The land is the danger....it creates deceleration trauma...if the mast had fallen the other way, into the river, the consequences would not have been so bad.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:26   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Almost 16 and I was standing in a bosun's chair 40' above the deck, feeding a messenger line down for the main halyard. It was a fractional rig on a cat, so my school mate and I had used the jib halyard to get me most of the way up and then I just stood up in order to get to the mast head and then swung myself around to the back of the mast.

A large ferry passed and kicked up a wake. We started to move in the jerky fashion of a cat rather than the measured roll of a mono. I held on, right arm around the mast, feet in the bosun's chair, waiting for the movements to subside.

Unfortunately it toppled towards the shore which consisted of large boulders encased in concrete. Instinct meant I stretched my arm out in preparation for the impact. So I broke my left wrist, elbow, skull, eye socket, shattered my pelvis in 5 pieces and bruised my heart. At the same time the mast broke my collar bone which then entered my right lung. The messenger line was fishing line which had looped around a finger and cut it down to the bone.

In a coma for 2 weeks, 6 weeks in hospital, multiple operations, pins and screws to put everything back together. Had to learn to walk again.

Within 6 months my mate and I were hurling ourselves off bridges into the water 50' below. Teenagers chasing the adrenalin highs.

Now I am in my 40s, still climbing up masts, occasionally at sea, but like always I watch out for where the land is. The land is the danger....it creates deceleration trauma...if the mast had fallen the other way, into the river, the consequences would not have been so bad.

Dang!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:36   #72

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:

Congratulations Jim, we have a winner folks.
Old 10-10-2013, 13:01   #73
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:

Dayy-emm! If that doesn't take the prize, then I don't want to hear about the one that does!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 13:20   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

I really like this thread, lots of lessons to be had that the rest of us now won't have to learn the hard way. I used to be a fighter pilot (F4 &F16) and the tradition in that world is that after every mission, everything gets debriefed honestly and thoroughly and you share both the good and the really stupid things you did with all your buddies so all can learn. Since there's mandatory participation by all, from the newest slick-wing lieutenant, to the crusty old wing commander, you get a thick skin fast but you also learn to not be too fast to judge or belittle, lest your turn in the barrel be next. I think it's the best way to learn and am happy to see that selfless, sharing spirit alive here!

My closest call came while crossing the Gulf Stream between the Abacos and Florida. My crew who had graciously offered to help me move my boat is a very good friend and a lawyer and had to be back at work on Monday. When we left Marsh Harbor the weather was beautiful with a good forecast, but by the time we reached the northwestern corner of the Bahamas it was blowing hard out of the north with 10' seas. I'd been up all the previous night so went off watch after dinner, leaving instructions for my friend to wake me if the wind didn't continue to subside or the waves got bigger or steeper. He naturally really wanted to make it straight across the Gulf Stream without delay, and I felt I owed it to him to try. Well, the wind didn't continue to subside, the waves got bigger and the waves got steeper, and by the time he determined it was time to wake me up he didn't dare to reverse direction or leave the wheel for even a second to open the companionway (hatchboards were in) and shout to me. He tried shouting and blowing the horn at the top of the mast but I heard nothing. When my alarm awakened me and I stuck my head outside the companionway, I was astonished to see how much conditions had worsened, to the point where the waves could only be described as mountainous. He said we'd been in the stream for about an hour and the wind was pretty steady out of the north in the mid 40's but he'd seen a max of 63 (probably partially due to the mast swaying). It was amazingly quiet inside the boat compared with the shrieking outside. Luckily, there was a full moon and nearly cloudless skies so we could see the rolling/breaking waves and swerve to avoid them. We spent the next 6 hours wondering if each successive wave would be "the one" but made it across in one piece, barely. The one thing we did right was neither one of us panicked or pointed fingers at the other. Both of us remained focused on doing what needed doing to keep us right side up and sailing. Since it was Easter Sunday morning, once it looked like we were going to make it, I did ask him to elaborate on just WHY he considered himself an atheist, but for some reason he didn't take me up on it! ;-) Lessons learned...my "consideration" for my buddy's "need" to get to work leading me to even considering crossing the Gulf Stream in those conditions almost got us both killed. Now, if I question whether it's safe to proceed, I err well on the side of caution, and on deliveries I make sure to explain to prospective crew that will be the case so make work/personal plans accordingly. 16 years later my friend still reminds me of that night, and he even still insists on doing my legal work for free! Yes, there ARE one or two good lawyers in the world!
Old 13-11-2013, 21:52   #75

Biggest sources of plane crashes, boats sinking, and divorces: get-home-itis.

Jeff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: