Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-02-2013, 12:21   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hurricane season

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamountainman View Post
Florida has not had a hurricane make landfall since 2005.
If you're into statistics, then this would indicate it is likely for Florida to have a hurricane strike soon, not less likely!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26   #17

Re: Hurricane Season

We live in Florida, about to bring our first Cat home from Panama City. The difference between a Cat 1 hurricane and a tropical storm is negligible. Our insurance company required that we pull it out of the water for any "named storm", tropical included

Old 07-02-2013, 13:11   #18

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Is that whistling and strange comment a suggestion that he's wrong? He's right, Florida has not had a hurricane make landfall since 2005.

Not that it's stopped insurance premiums from going up or anything reasonable like that.
In fact, I can only recall two tropical storms since 2005, I could be wrong on that number, but not by much. pete
Old 07-02-2013, 13:25   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
In fact, I can only recall two tropical storms since 2005, I could be wrong on that number, but not by much. pete
In 2012 four named storms did significant damage to Florida and were responsible for around ten deaths. Alberto brushed NE Florida resulting in heavy surf and ocean rescues were required. Beryl was responsible for one death in Florida as it wandered around hitting both the Keys and Jacksonville. Debby made landfall on the West Coast of Florida and crossed the state to the Atlantic and was responsible for eight deaths and record rainfall and water levels in some rivers. Isaac did substantial property damage and caused the Republican convention to move things around.

I am not sure what you consider "not by much" but I suspect your definition of the term is different than mine.
Old 07-02-2013, 13:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The frequency of recent hurricanes or tropical storms should not be relevant to anyone's plans to prepare for a future storm. The path of a former storm has no effect on paths of future storms. I feel silly taking the time to state such obvious facts, but some posts seem to suggest that there is some significance to how recently an area was subjected to a tropical storm.
Old 07-02-2013, 13:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you're into statistics, then this would indicate it is likely for Florida to have a hurricane strike soon, not less likely!
Actually, if you're into statistics, you recognize that past history has absolutely no influence on the probability of an individual event. The simplest illustration is that if you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads all 10 times, the odds of it coming up tails on the next flip are still 50:50. pete
Old 07-02-2013, 13:31   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I firmly believe that a boat is safer in the water with a crew aboard, then it is on shore. The biggest danger in any Hurrycane, is storm surge! if the storm is causeing a high storm surge, the boat can recieve more damage ashore then properly moored in even a semi protected anchorage. Now this is just my thoughts that come from liveing and boating in a HIGH Hurrycane area for the last 12 yrs! We have been thru storms up to a cat 3, in the last 12 yrs with a couple of different boats ! If ya have folks aboard to handle lines and such, and have taken good care of your anchoring or mooring or dockage, your boat can and will do well! but a boat without hands aboard will be better off hauled out !! We will always be aboard our boat in any storm, Tropical, or better to be sure all is safe! at least thats our 2 cents
Old 07-02-2013, 13:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
In 2012 four named storms did significant damage to Florida and were responsible for around ten deaths. Alberto brushed NE Florida resulting in heavy surf and ocean rescues were required. Beryl was responsible for one death in Florida as it wandered around hitting both the Keys and Jacksonville. Debby made landfall on the West Coast of Florida and crossed the state to the Atlantic and was responsible for eight deaths and record rainfall and water levels in some rivers. Isaac did substantial property damage and caused the Republican convention to move things around.

I am not sure what you consider "not by much" but I suspect your definition of the term is different than mine.
I was referring to Debby and Isaac, so I missed Beryl. Alberto, in the context of other tropical storms, had little effect on FL.

But I am impressed with your recollection! Obviously better than mine. pete
Old 07-02-2013, 14:07   #24

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Actually, if you're into statistics, you recognize that past history has absolutely no influence on the probability of an individual event. The simplest illustration is that if you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads all 10 times, the odds of it coming up tails on the next flip are still 50:50. pete
you are correct Pete!
Old 07-02-2013, 14:12   #25

Boat: Seaward 22

interesting article
Can You Be Forced OUT of Your Marina By A Hurricane?
Old 07-02-2013, 14:28   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
if you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads all 10 times, the odds of it coming up tails on the next flip are still 50:50. pete
Bet ya wrong.

HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never bet against the wheel. Someone must know something!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:22   #27

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Chosen View Post
Excellent info. I couldn't believe the entire Caribbean empties for five months. Our plan the next year is to get south of Grenada but we will be in Florida waiting for 01nov the first year. I have read about anchors dragging? Do folks really leave their boats on the hook and is that wise. Would have thought a floating dock or perhaps buried in mangroves would be better? You mentioned your ins co, would you share the name and whether you have been happy with them?
Hi FC ... don't mind mentioning my insurance company ... we use Pantaenius and have not yet had an incident to measure their performance by, but they do come highly recommended and we have met sailors who had total losses where their boat was replaced in an instant. Our broker has taken to charging us for their time to negotiate modifications such as hurricane coverage etc. etc.
I haven't taken too kindly to that since we also pay a yearly fee. We will be re-negotiating come the end of this year for sure!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:47   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Chosen View Post
Excellent info. I couldn't believe the entire Caribbean empties for five months. Our plan the next year is to get south of Grenada but we will be in Florida waiting for 01nov the first year. I have read about anchors dragging? Do folks really leave their boats on the hook and is that wise. Would have thought a floating dock or perhaps buried in mangroves would be better? You mentioned your ins co, would you share the name and whether you have been happy with them?
Talking about boats on the hook ... Many boaters do this in the BVI's in 'as sheltered areas as one can get' and I got to chatting with some of these owners. They use multiple anchors which are over-sized and heavy chains and have these systems set up and lying on the ground ready to use. However, I mentioned ships dragging anchors and colliding with one another and this I photographed at a time when the hurricane Isaac was a THREAT ... not yet a fully blown hurricane. I think the photos are at
Impi: Storm Isaac creates havoc in Road Harbour, Tortola

You will notice that the seas do not look very aggressive on the photographs, but in fact they were running with exceptional strength.

As for the area draining of yachts during this season ... yeah ... amazingly so as we found it to be the most stunning time to be out there. Even the Moorings company were still chartering with skipper operated vessels and ... sure ... there were frantic times when they, and we, were scurrying to a 'tie down' and preparing for a hurricane. Trick is to have a good 'tie down pad' or a decent hole to run to and enjoy being the only yacht your eyes can see for days at a time!

The drain of yachts south of Grenada during this season is wild !!! We have many friends who do / have done this and it all just sounds too chaotic for us ... one generally has a 3 day warning which gets one far in the Caribbean, so why not sail and enjoy whilst keeping an update on weather?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 19:08   #29

I spent 4 or 5 summers in Antigua on my Peterson 44, and one in the Virgins and my rule was if there was a threat, to get to a hole as far from where the local boats go as possible. I had been warned that the local fish boats would come into the near anchorages and cut yachts lines to get to the back of the hole. I dont know if that was true or not, but I found a couple of places an hour or two away from English Harbor that never had more than 1 or 2 other boats, and had good mangroves to tie to. I would put out up to 4 anchors and tie as many lines as I could to the mangroves. Yes I am an anchor freak. My main was a 60 lb CQR with my 2nd 45lb Danforth plow(which I didnt like) a 30(I think) Danforth HT, and my row out anchor a 22lb HT Danforth. Plus 3 or 4 lines to the mangroves. I was lucky in that I never had severe winds, but I had torrential rains and a million mosquitos. I did spend one night in English Harbor in a large power boat(100 ton) with the engines ticking over to keep us off of the cement wall. We had loosened the stern lines to give us some room away from the quay, but about midnight the winds picked up and we realized that we had drug, just a little, but that was enough for us to start the mains and leave them in gear at an idle for the rest of the night. Would I spend another summer in the Islands. Hell Yes, but I would be sure to check out the smaller, less known Hurricane holes before you need them._____ my 2 cents worth.________Grant.
Old 09-02-2013, 19:15   #30

I just went back and looked at the photos from Isaac(post 28) and that is a classic example of why I find small less known holes to hide in._____Grant.

Tags
hurricane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: