Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2013, 08:40   #1

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Hurricane Sandy vs The Bounty

A hell of a read from CNN

Life and Death on the Bounty
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 17:19   #2

Re: Hurricane Sandy vs The Bounty

Yes, a very good read. Still just shake my head at the Captain's decision to leave the safety of the Port of New London Connecticut and head toward Hurricane Sandy. I'm just glad there were not more lives lost because of that decision.
Old 30-03-2013, 17:28   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Hubris will get you in the end.
Old 30-03-2013, 18:37   #4

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

I keep thinking about the fact that was not long prior to final voyage put up for sale. Perhaps just coincidence, but it does not explain Captain's decision to leave port and disregard all publicly distributed information and warnings about severity of Hurricane that was approaching. Certainly was wrong direction to head to try and evade storm.
Old 30-03-2013, 18:49   #5

Boat: Columbia 41

What a horror.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 20:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
I keep thinking about the fact that was not long prior to final voyage put up for sale. Perhaps just coincidence, but it does not explain Captain's decision to leave port and disregard all publicly distributed information and warnings about severity of Hurricane that was approaching. Certainly was wrong direction to head to try and evade storm.
Like Kettlewell said it could just have been hubris on the Captains part. He shown in videos saying he seeks out Hurricanes.Though the article also points out they had paying customers waiting in Florida and the Captain was going to see his wife and have a 63rd birthday while he was there. Maybe a combination of the above. We will never know the real reason why this decision was made but, all seem to agree it was certainly the wrong one.
Old 31-03-2013, 08:59   #7

Boat: Columbia 41

It was noted that the bilge was afloat with wood chips and sawdust. This debris eventually clogged the pump strainers. Also, the crew could not start a gasoline powered bilge pump. Considering the working of the ship in heavy seas and the quantity of water being taken in from seams opening, I do not think the problems with the pumps directly related to the loss of the vessel. In other words, even if the the pumps were functioning properly they would not have been able to keep up with the rising water. However, that the bilge was allowed to remain unclean long after carpentry repairs had been made is evidence of inattention to the condition of the ship. Since the captain intended to test his ship against a hurricane he had a higher duty to verify that the ship was in such pristine condition so as to withstand the forces of nature to which she would be subject. If he did not know, he should not go.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 09:24   #8

Great read, thanks. Painfully stupid decision.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13   #9

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Personally I'm not so quick to judge. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20. I know I've made my share of decisions that I've later regretted (and I'm only talking about sailing here!). Fortunately, none of mine resulted in loss of life, but even of they had, there would not have been this level of scrutiny. My guess is that if he had the opportunity to make this choice again, it would probably be different. Maybe not, we'll never know. But I think it's worth considering that he honestly believed that he, his crew, and his ship were up to the challenge, and would come through OK. I doubt that he set out to die, or thought that he was invincible.

Anyway, I feel that a little bit of the benefit of the doubt is due here. This was a tragic loss of someone who loved the sea. May he rest in peace.

pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:01   #10

Boat: Fortune 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Personally I'm not so quick to judge. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20. I know I've made my share of decisions that I've later regretted (and I'm only talking about sailing here!). Fortunately, none of mine resulted in loss of life, but even of they had, there would not have been this level of scrutiny. My guess is that if he had the opportunity to make this choice again, it would probably be different. Maybe not, we'll never know. But I think it's worth considering that he honestly believed that he, his crew, and his ship were up to the challenge, and would come through OK. I doubt that he set out to die, or thought that he was invincible.

Anyway, I feel that a little bit of the benefit of the doubt is due here. This was a tragic loss of someone who loved the sea. May he rest in peace.

pete
Well said, and my thoughts exactly. He may have been a bit overconfident, but it's understandable considering he had weathered hurricanes before with the ship in much worse shape and a less experienced crew. Even though it was widely reported that he sailed directly into the hurricane's path, that's not accurate. A ship like that should be able to handle 20' following seas and 50 kt winds abaft the beam. Ultimately, the seams opened up and whether due to mechanical failure or some other reason, the pumps were not able to keep up with the flooding. Whatever the ultimate reason, it's sad to loose a ship like that.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:50   #11
cruiser

Reading the reports of the hearings, the one thing that struck me was that no one was qualified for the jobs they were doing. All the jobs were highly technical and extremely important, and were filled by people who weren't even close to qualified to do them. There were a number of life and death issues that cascaded from that across-the-board lack of skill, from the captain on down.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:39   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44

What struck me was the bilge was so full of **** the pumps clogged. We used to make sure we cleaned out all dust from butt blocks etc... so that shavings and remnants dont get into the bilge. Even now on a glass boat Im paranoid clean about vacuuming my bilges. I was not impressed with what I saw last summer while touring the bounty.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:20   #13

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I can't believe the captain chose to leave given the forecast.
Old 05-04-2013, 21:25   #14

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
We used to make sure we cleaned out all dust from butt blocks etc... so that shavings and remnants dont get into the bilge. Even now on a glass boat Im paranoid clean about vacuuming my bilges.
and that would be called "shipshape"...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:37   #15

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

The Bounty was designed and built to be a prop for a movie wide enough to have both actors and cameras on the deck at the same time, with the original plan to chop it up on the completion of the movie. It was not a seakindly ship.

Sometime during the mid 90's while driving up the coast of Northern Calif. I seen it tied up to a quay in Eureka, Calif. and stopped to take a tour of the ship.

Two of the crew members and I began talking about things related to sailing and they confided in me that in their opinion, the ship was to wide for its waterline length and the bottom of the hull was to flat, making for such an uncomfortable ride up the coast of California that the entire crew was seasick most of the time. They had tried to enter the bay here during an ebb tide and were met with such difficulty that the CG had to take them in tow to keep the bow pointed in the right direction as they came over the bar.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane