Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 14:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16
Hurricane holes in Dominic Republic.

Hi,

soon I start my cruise to Cuba and would like to prepare myself as good as I can in every situation. As we know hurricane season is open nad few will catch DR too. With your experience can you advise me some of safe spots please?
Jack_Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:27   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Hurricane holes in Dominic Republic.

Luperon, N.Coast.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Luperon, N.Coast.
I was checking on the map this place today. Thanks a lot. Do you know some places in Haiti too or any marina with fuel dock on north side too? I cannot find any and I am searching all day long
Old 30-05-2016, 16:28   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Between Luperon and Port of Plata there is a marina I cant remember the name , not far from Luperon but I remember is really untenable inside due the swell ,,,and as far I know Luperon is the best Hole in DR, Hurricanes usually track along the south coast and the hig mountains protect Luperon really well... Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 17:09   #5

Quote:
Between Luperon and Port of Plata there is a marina I cant remember the name , not far from Luperon but I remember is really untenable inside due the swell ,,,and as far I know Luperon is the best Hole in DR, Hurricanes usually track along the south coast and the hig mountains protect Luperon really well... Cheers.
That marina would be Ocean World. BTW tp the OP, Stay out of Puerto Plata Harbour. I made this mistake once. Ocean World would not be a good spot to sit out a storm. Luperon as neilpride says is a good hole. Can't say about Haiti, but another hiding spot in the area is Sellers Pond on Providenciales. protected from all sides.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 18:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for those tips. I search all the time so good places and it looks like Luperon would be no 1.

Did you have any experience with Haiti or Cuba before?
Old 30-05-2016, 18:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Can you also confirm that there is fuel dock in Luperon? I have a 57 p/b so need to be sure with places like that
Old 31-05-2016, 07:39   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Unless there has been new construction, the closest fuel dock to Luperon is in Ocean World Marina. A number of charter sporfishing boats call it home, so they do pump a lot of fuel.

Legally you would need a despachio (issued by the Harbor Master) to travel between Luperon and Ocean World. Supposed to be free, but very little is free with the officialdom of the DR.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 07:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Luperon, N.Coast.
I concur. We spent a month there earlier this year. That harbor is very well protected and surrounded by mangroves.

There's a small marina, too, Puerto Blanco. But beware, the moorings are absolute trash. We broke free of ours in less than 30kts. and so did several others in the harbor.
Old 31-05-2016, 07:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
Can you also confirm that there is fuel dock in Luperon? I have a 57 p/b so need to be sure with places like that
No fuel dock, but "Handy Andy," who can be reached through Puerto Blanco marina, can get you clean fuel. He will bring it out to the boat in a large drum aboard his working skiff. DO NOT use Papo. His fuel has caused a lot of problems. The two are rivals and get their fuel from two different sources.

Here's a bit about Luperon, if you like: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/2016...nchorages.html
Old 31-05-2016, 07:50   #11

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
I would suggest fueling up in Ocean World Marina instead of Luperon. Sellers Pond (Leeward Landing) on Provo also has a fuel dock and nice amenities for cruisers. I would suggest reading the link below regarding Luperon even though the article makes it out to be worse than it really is IMO. http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Do...eronPracticing

"Patience" is a necessity when checking in and out of the DR. I also suggest a large bag of change to have on board so if they start asking for more than you are willing to give for "Propina" (Tip), you can say; "I don't have anymore money". When they balk and if they issues small threats as is done sometimes, you simply go down below, fetch the change bag, and start counting it out in front of them. This will usually cause a speedy departure. For first timers to the DR, you don't want to fight with the officials. It's a no win situation you are stepping into.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 07:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
I would suggest fueling up in Ocean World Marina instead of Luperon. Sellers Pond (Leeward Landing) on Provo also has a fuel dock and nice amenities for cruisers. I would suggest reading the link below regarding Luperon even though the article makes it out to be worse than it really is IMO. http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Do...eronPracticing

"Patience" is a necessity when checking in and out of the DR. I also suggest a large bag of change to have on board so if they start asking for more than you are willing to give for "Propina" (Tip), you can say; "I don't have anymore money". When they balk and if they issues small threats as is done sometimes, you simply go down below, fetch the change bag, and start counting it out in front of them. This will usually cause a speedy departure. For first timers to the DR, you don't want to fight with the officials. It's a no win situation you are stepping into.
We had one immigration official request a tip, which amounted to a few dollars. Mostly, I think these reports are either exaggerated or outdated. Having spent the month of March in Luperon and Samana, we had pretty much zero problems with officials. Just my $0.02.
Old 31-05-2016, 08:15   #13

Sailing Trio, a YouTube bunch from Canada spent several weeks there in Luperon. It is an area that needs to be taken with a grain of salt... I do not know if they have a handle here on Cruisers Forum.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:54   #14

Boat: CS 33

Here is the link about Luperon. Great little place with wonderful people Trio Travels
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:58   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
No fuel dock, but "Handy Andy," who can be reached through Puerto Blanco marina, can get you clean fuel. He will bring it out to the boat in a large drum aboard his working skiff. DO NOT use Papo. His fuel has caused a lot of problems. The two are rivals and get their fuel from two different sources.

Here's a bit about Luperon, if you like: Voyage Of Symbiosis: One Of Our Favorite Anchorages

I have read that bloq and of course it is very good info over there. Thank you

I would cruise from Puerto Rico to Domenican Rep. So first place on my list would be Isola Saona on East-South side of the Island. Than Punta Cana,Bavaro, Samana, Puerto Plata, Luperon and going west to Cuba.

Do you know any marina west from Luperon with fuel dock ?

Also what VHF chanel broadcast weather info in this area and is it in English or just Spanish??

Tags
hurricane