Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-06-2016, 07:25   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16
Re: Hurricane holes in Dominic Republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
If there is anything you want to know about Luperon, ask away.. I'm sitting in the harbor right now and entered a couple of days ago.
Thank you. Most important for me would be to get good diesel. Few posts before "Handy- Andy" was recomended. What you can say and what is a price of diesel? If you are there can you ask for me next place West from Luperon where I can get diesel? I am cruising 57 ft power boat direction Cuba so I try to find as many fuel dock as I can. Also if you can ask about Haiti's fuel dock would be great.

How much for check in in DR? Price is the same for every port?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:02   #47

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
Do you mean Provo in Turks and Icacos? What is the problem that mostly happen in Haiti for cruising?

I will keep that in my mind for sure. Thanks for warning

I can imagine that 5-10$ for them is like 300-500$ or more for US people.
What is wrong with Puerto Plata bay ?
Yes. Sellars Pond (Turtle Cove Landing) Provo, Turks & Caicos is a great place to get out of weather complete with Fuel Dock and amenities for the boater..

Haiti is a very impoverished country that is currently experiencing extreme political issues in what can be described as a divided Country. There are many possibilities that a cruiser or visitor could experience numerous problems there right now that would dwarf any issues in the DR. I personally would stay out of Haiti right now but if you want to go check it out, check things thoroughly beforehand.

The city of Puerto Plata is excellent. Nothing wrong with it. The Bay in POP is different and is known for robberies, theft of property, and corruption of the Camandante who runs that port. The government dock is concrete, and the anchorage there is wavy. My personal experience was pulling onto the dock and having four men, 3 with M16's on my boat before I shut off the engines. I neever got off of the boat and left the next day because of the corruption and everybody wanted to make sure they got as much of me and my boat as was humanly possible. BTW.. I'm married to a Dominican.. My home is in Puerto Plata, and I still say this about the Bay. We NEVER enter that bay.

Hope this helps, and wish you safe travels.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08   #48

Quote:
Thank you. Most important for me would be to get good diesel. Few posts before "Handy- Andy" was recomended. What you can say and what is a price of diesel? If you are there can you ask for me next place West from Luperon where I can get diesel? I am cruising 57 ft power boat direction Cuba so I try to find as many fuel dock as I can. Also if you can ask about Haiti's fuel dock would be great.

How much for check in in DR? Price is the same for every port?
A few links for info on DR.
http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic

http://freecruisingguides.com/1593/

Cruising the Dominican Republic
Old 05-06-2016, 05:32   #49
Marine Service Provider

Thank a lot. Over here I have found some cruise guides to download where I have found this !!!

DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baracoa.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	125545  
Old 05-06-2016, 12:14   #50

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Thank a lot. Over here I have found some cruise guides to download where I have found this !!!

DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL !!!!!
Handy Andy is the man for clean diesel here in Luperon. Even then I would make sure you use a Baha filter. I paid $3.20/gallon for the 25 gallons I just bought. We have been told to be careful with Papo, he has sold some cruisers bad diesel. If you have jerry jugs, you could go to the fuel station yourself, but its really not worth it. Handy Andy only adds 10 pesos/gal to deliver it to your boat (thats like 30 cents per gallon).

I would encourage you to sign up and download Active Captain. It has data on fuel stops along most routes. Unfortunately I don't think it has a bunch of data on Haiti.

As to checkin. You will pay $90 for your boat, then $10 to agriculture, then $10/person for a tourist card, finally you pay the port fee (which is a bogus fee but no way to avoid). The port fee is $10 for the first 7 days then $20 for each month after that.

Careful.. People tend to grow roots here in Luperon and never leave.

The other thing I would encourage is buying the book "Passages South" by Bruce Van Sant. He has a section on Haiti that may be helpful. Not to mention there is a ton of other useful information in the book
Old 05-06-2016, 13:32   #51

Other than TCI (Provo) During the Michael Misek days, POP bay is as corrupt as I've seen in the Caribbean.. Lots of thievery too. As I said, I have a home there in POP, But my boat will never enter that bay. No need to go through the hassle when you don't have to.
Old 05-06-2016, 18:05   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Other than TCI (Provo) During the Michael Misek days, POP bay is as corrupt as I've seen in the Caribbean.. Lots of thievery too. As I said, I have a home there in POP, But my boat will never enter that bay. No need to go through the hassle when you don't have to.
Not sure what POP bay is. I've never heard Luperon called that..

As to the thievery.. We have seen none of that. Most cruisers don't lock their dinghys or motors, or gas and they don't go missing. In fact we haven't heard of any issues at all even on the the Cruisers Net.

The only corruption I have seen is the "Port Fee". Other than that, NO ONE asked for bribes, gifts or anything. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE.
Old 05-06-2016, 18:28   #53

POP is Purto Plata. It's the airport code. Bahia de Puerto Plata.. YES.. Do do go to Luperon. Stop in Oceanworld if you want a marina or easy fuel, but DO NOT tie up in Puerto Plata Bay.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:59   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Handy Andy is the man for clean diesel here in Luperon. Even then I would make sure you use a Baha filter. I paid $3.20/gallon for the 25 gallons I just bought. We have been told to be careful with Papo, he has sold some cruisers bad diesel. If you have jerry jugs, you could go to the fuel station yourself, but its really not worth it. Handy Andy only adds 10 pesos/gal to deliver it to your boat (thats like 30 cents per gallon).

I would encourage you to sign up and download Active Captain. It has data on fuel stops along most routes. Unfortunately I don't think it has a bunch of data on Haiti.

As to checkin. You will pay $90 for your boat, then $10 to agriculture, then $10/person for a tourist card, finally you pay the port fee (which is a bogus fee but no way to avoid). The port fee is $10 for the first 7 days then $20 for each month after that.

Careful.. People tend to grow roots here in Luperon and never leave.

The other thing I would encourage is buying the book "Passages South" by Bruce Van Sant. He has a section on Haiti that may be helpful. Not to mention there is a ton of other useful information in the book
Thanks for info but Baracoa is located in east coast of Cuba. In Domink Rep. I have in all places of north side places where I can get fuel.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:40   #55
Marine Service Provider

Can I buy a diesel barrels in Luperon or other safe place in Dominik Rep. ?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:48   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Thumbs up Re: Hurricane holes in Dominic Republic.

Quote:
Not sure what POP bay is. I've never heard Luperon called that..

As to the thievery.. We have seen none of that. Most cruisers don't lock their dinghys or motors, or gas and they don't go missing. In fact we haven't heard of any issues at all even on the the Cruisers Net.

The only corruption I have seen is the "Port Fee". Other than that, NO ONE asked for bribes, gifts or anything. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE.
+1 on this.
Old 11-06-2016, 14:57   #57
Marine Service Provider

You have mentioned before about fuel filters when buying fuel in Dominican Republic - Luperon. Can you tell me if you mean sth like this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13436098_10208403393974778_1550541612_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	125953   Click image for larger version

Name:	13436164_10208403388414639_782384818_n.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	125954  

Old 12-06-2016, 05:22   #58

Quote:
You have mentioned before about fuel filters when buying fuel in Dominican Republic - Luperon. Can you tell me if you mean sth like this ?
Yes.. That is a BAHA filter... That is what you need to run ALL your fuel through, not just in the DR.
Old 12-06-2016, 14:23   #59

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Yes.. That is a BAHA filter... That is what you need to run ALL your fuel through, not just in the DR.

Yes, but. The reality is for a power boat to run all their fuel through a Baha filter would take hours and hours especially if there is foam. Better to avoid bad fuel if possible and have good filtration and polishing capabilities installed onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 14:42   #60

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

Fuel in the DR is not bad at all, worst is in the far out islands in Bahamas, you get for every gallon of fuel 250 gr of sand..... guaranted.. saying that I never filter the fuel in the DR , just add a biocide in the tanks and done...

Tags
hurricane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: