Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

We were in an anchorage in the Marquesas in 2005 with something like a newish Bavaria 33 that had just come from the horn. They may have done the channels, but these days it pretty much the same. No one approaches the horn from well offshore on a long passage. Everyone hides out in anchorages and only goes around to say they've done it including the Pardeys in fine weather.

So basically anything that floats could pretty much do it in theory, but that Bavaria did lookedm to be well fitted with a roller furling staysail add on, etc. You're better off buying a better older boat than blowing the cash ended to upgrade a hunter for heavy weather sailing as there will certainly be plenty to get that far south.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
We were in an anchorage in the Marquesas in 2005 with something like a newish Bavaria 33 that had just come from the horn. They may have done the channels, but these days it pretty much the same. No one approaches the horn from well offshore on a long passage. Everyone hides out in anchorages and only goes around to say they've done it including the Pardeys in fine weather.

So basically anything that floats could pretty much do it in theory, but that Bavaria did lookedm to be well fitted with a roller furling staysail add on, etc. You're better off buying a better older boat than blowing the cash ended to upgrade a hunter for heavy weather sailing as there will certainly be plenty to get that far south.
Let's not forget that Mike Rutherford did it in a Albin Vega 27. He got lucky with the weather, as he was going nonstop around both North and South America. He had no plans to hide out in any anchorages.

And yes, I know, that Albins are recognized as Water boats">blue water boats, and Hunters aren't.
Old 28-02-2015, 17:16   #63

No - You can not do it. Do not be foolish! Your boat is not adequate for the journey.
svserengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 18:22   #64

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Apparently didn't notice that this thread has been dead for a year and a half.

Adelie
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 18:31   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Boat probably decided its fate long time ago....
It's like trying to decide if the cave paintings were informational or emotional...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 09:34   #66

Boat: Hunter 49

Didn't a 16 year old girl sail around the world in a Hunter 33? And I have this very strange feeling that she sailed around Cape Horn. I guess before she got to the Cape...she traded out her boat for something other than a Hunter sailboat. Because its so dangerous and improbable she could it with a Hunter.
patriot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 09:58   #67

Boat: Whitby 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot17 View Post
Didn't a 16 year old girl sail around the world in a Hunter 33?
Only two 16 year old girls attempted that, one Aussy and one American.

The Aussy was in a 34 or 36 foot blue water boat that was beefed up even more for her trip. That is why she was able to do 360 rolls and the mast not break.

The American girl sailed a much larger, much more expensive race boat. I believe it was in the 48 foot range. She made it past Cape Horn but capsized and broke her mast near Cape of Good Hope.

I'm not saying a Hunter can't make it, I'm saying I think one would be a fool to try in a Hunter, especially a Hunter 33'. I have friends who own one and they don't even think it is capable of reaching the Caribbean. They are wrong of course because you can go anywhere from the East Coast or Gulf to Grenada on nothing longer than 24 hour trips so mild sailing conditions if you pick the right windows. Anyway, point is, they own one and aren't all that thrilled with it's stability for 4-10 foot seas, so I'm pretty sure they would laugh at you for considering 30+ foot seas which is what Cape Horn is known for.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:02   #68

Boat: Whitby 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Apparently didn't notice that this thread has been dead for a year and a half.
Adelie
IMHO, threads are endless because information evolves and there are always new perspectives and new seekers of information that involve old questions.

Example: as of now, nobody, well...almost, believes a Hunter 33' should be sailed around Cape Horn, but tomorrow somebody could do it and therefore, new information should be entered into the thread.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:18   #69

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I guess the southern route is different than the coastal route??

I know that when Yves Gelinas decided to take his Alberg 30 around the horn, he knew the stock mast would not survive a knockdown, so he put a new stronger mast on the boat. Then he was knocked down... He had also uprated the rigging wire and fittings, but 'forgot' to uprate the bolts that hold the chainplates. The chainplate ripped right out of the deck and the mast came down.

he later talks about the structure that chainplate was bolted was also too weak. To do it correctly, he had to significantly beef up the structure, the bolts, and the chainplate itself, along with the rest of the rigging and the mast itself....

And that was no Hunter.
I don't think it's a case of either/or, both boat and sailor have to be beefed up. I have a boat similar to the Alberg 30. I don't know if Gelinas did this on his, but I would bolt chainplates through the hull, not bulkheads, were I to contemplate the trip. In my case I'd also have to really beef up the mast support (the amount of force on the mast in a knockdown is pretty remarkable.. I can't recall the formula right now, but it is approximately the displacement of the boat forced down on the mast.) Most boats, not just Hunters, aren't really built with rounding the Horn in mind. Can a Hunter be modified to do it safely? I would bet yes, but I'd probably not do it. That said, I'd sure like to see the Horn someday!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:41   #70

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Didn't a 16 year old girl sail around the world in a Hunter 33? And I have this very strange feeling that she sailed around Cape Horn. I guess before she got to the Cape...she traded out her boat for something other than a Hunter sailboat. Because its so dangerous and improbable she could it with a Hunter.
Laura Dekker, Dutch
JEANNEAU (GIN FIZZ 37) the whole way round.
Used the Panama Canal so didn't round Cape Horn but did round Cape of Good Hope.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 14:19   #71
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Jessica Watson, on an S&S 34, not a Hunter - Ella's Pink Lady

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 14:39   #72
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post

The American girl sailed a much larger, much more expensive race boat. I believe it was in the 48 foot range.
Abby Sunderland's boat "Wild Eyes" was an Open 40. Sailing experts criticise Abby Sunderland's circumnavigation attempt - Telegraph

Her brother, Zac, sailed an Islander 36 round, but no Cape Horn - SailZac.com | Zack Sunderland - YOUNGEST SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATOR ???

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:32   #73
Bpw

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436890770.907019.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	105333

It's not a great picture, but that little raft on the right side has been around Cape Horn. Plenty of kayaks, jet skis, dinghies etc have been around Cape Horn.

The tricky part is getting there, but by coming down the west coast it is possible to get around Cape Horn with very little exposure to open water in high latitudes. Getting to northern chile from central or North America is a long trip, but not in an area known for being especially hostile to boats. An offshore rounding is a very different game.

How well the boat is maintained will have a much greater effect on success than the type of boat. You see just about all kinds of boats hanging out in puerto Williams, the only constant theme is they tend to be well maintained and sailed by very competent, though not always incredibly experienced sailors.
Bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 12:28   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaofburlingt View Post
Suddenly, sailing a Laser around Cape Horn sounds fascinating. Anyone ever done it?
Not sure about a Laser but dingies, kayaks, paddle boards, windsurfers, you name it... all done
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 12:31   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I would use the Beagel Chanel but only in the summer. But why would you summer there is still cold and wet and windy and cold.
The winter can be much nicer; more settled weather, less wind, but short days, good skiing if you catch a lucky snow-fall.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, sailing