Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 12:44   #31

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Or we can assume that the OP is a 13yo kid that enjoys stirring up things with his blinking monitor. I think that probability is higher.
I was thinking it was DOJ. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 22:00   #32

Boat: Alan Wright, One-off, Kauri Modified full keel 31'

Quote:
Or we can assume that the OP is a 13yo kid that enjoys stirring up things with his blinking monitor. I think that probability is higher.
If the OP is in fact a 13 year old kid who has 1.) Heard of a Hunter 33 and 2.) Recognizes that sailing one around Cape Horn would be an impressive feat, then that is a pretty cool kid and there is hope for this generation.

I tend to think we should encourage her.
Dexterbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 15:04   #33

Everyone seems correct here and I might add study old books from the 1800s giving accounts of sailing around the horn, one might be "Spray" by Joshua Slocum also "Two years behind the mast". Both give excellent accounts of the various conditions encountered and if you study online you will find these people correct also, in there varied techniques which up to that time were the only "proven" methods. And god granted a little luck!
Cpt.Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 15:12   #34

Great one you might want to study your options and being these are age old one might be reading a couple of books, one being titled "Spray" by Joshua Slocum and the other "Two years before the mast". Both were written in the days of sailing and have very relevant information for sailing these waters and are in depth and be correlated online with experiences of others. As far as the Drake passage is concerned I have seen pictures of a hundred foot wave taken from a freighter and with its decks awash so this might not be a good option.
Cpt.Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:02   #35

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Take off the Windex and slide a Westsail 32 beneath it.
I suppose if one had three or four weeks to make the passage itself....
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:29   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

It can do it... a ply Bobcat has done it... its more catching the right time to make it that counts..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:58   #37

Boat: PETERSON 44
Spray went through the straights. Got blown back but did not really round the horn. Not taking away from the trip at all but that us not what happened. Great read Hal Roth 2 against the horn. Enjoy
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 18:12   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

As a boat it's a joke but as a sailor it's possible. Possible for you seems to suggest that if you have to ask - No! Do something hard and talk about it first. For me I've done things by accident I would never do on purpose. If you have never managed 40 knots of winds then don't ask! It only could be worse than that. 50 knots is way more than I would take on - on purpose! 45 is the most I've ever done and it was the hardest work I've ever done in my life! I did't die!

I'm a big fan of being lucky still counts but I also feel being unlucky still counts too!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 04:31   #39
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes it is possible for your Hunter to do it and the best way is from west to east in the southern summer staying off-shore in the southern summer; however from the scant information available, it wold be hard for any of us to comment on whether you (yourself) can do it or not. No disrespect but this is unknowable without knowing more about you although your question indicates a certain lack of experience so this needs to be factored into any advice.

I have a Hunter.

I love my Hunter.

I am also a new enough of a sailor to recognize the need for the combination of boat and skills.

IMO the Hunters I am familiar with are not designed for the worst that blue water can bring. However, Cape Horn can provide the worst that blue water can bring.

To me this is a potentially very dangerous situation. NO, critics -- SIT DOWN and clamp your hands over your mouths!!! -- I haven't been there. And no matter how good the sailor was I would not do it as crew *on a Hunter.* Even with the best weather window in the world.

Because I know that at least smaller Hunters (and 33' is small, for a Hunter, for this purpose), unless expertly managed, can magnify the problems that wind and rough seas can bring, and I haven't been in anything resembling the worst that Cape Horn can offer.

I think sailing around the world is an admirable dream, but am firmly opposed to doing it dangerously.

And by "dangerously," I mean "more dangerously than it needs to be." One of the things that would make it more dangerous than it needs to be would be having the wrong boat. It's going to be dangerous anyway -- isn't that part of the appeal, matching wits against so many real problems?

I suppose it is *possible* to make any decent-sized boat up to the task, but you still have a fin keel and an exposed rudder.

My boat is great for what I do, a happy compromise between live-aboard comfort and ability to leave the dock with the expectation that I will return alive.

But when the you-know-what hits the fan, you want a boat that can cooperate with your efforts -- not fight you.

I'm not going to opine on "what's the right boat" (and I will cheerfully ignore any aggressive or hostile responses to this post) -- but I'm right about this -- a Hunter isn't the boat for this trip for the great majority of sailors. And PLEASE -- read the story about the boat that went down on the rocks at Kinsale, in conditions that weren't nearly as bad as what one might encounter rounding either Africa or South America (just for starters). Engine failure was an important part of that accident and that had to be a hair-raising rescue for those young students.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 04:35   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I have sailed a laser in some bigger winds (25 knots) and have pitch polled in the process. This thread is insane. I would not take a boat which is designed for coastal waters around cape Horn. You may get lucky but as ice stated- they loose a lot of sailboats down there...

THANK YOU!!!!!!

You found the words I was looking for:

SURVIVING WOULD DEPEND TOO MUCH ON LUCK.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 04:49   #41

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Take off the Windex and slide a Westsail 32 beneath it.
Ahh! I had no idea that the bases for the Windex were interchangeable! So you could slide a big Halberg or Valiant underneath one too?

Gotta love options.

I have no real desire to pass the horn to port. Like Moitessier, I would do it if I was prepared, and if it was a more logical route to get where I needed to be. But just to do it? Nahhh.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 05:13   #42
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
........ -- but I'm right about this -- a Hunter isn't the boat for this trip for the great majority of sailors. ...........
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 05:34   #43

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Hell, Cape Hatteras has proven too treacherous for many "better" boats.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 17:44   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Cape Disappointment is tough enough for me and my little boat. Nothing like passing by the standard sized boats in the fog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fogg.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	64770  
Attached Images

s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 14:14   #45

I was a sailor, I was born upon the tide

With the sea I did abide

I sailed a schooner round the horn to Mexico

I went aloft to furl the main sail in a blow

And when the yards broke off they said that...
Jhull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, sailing