Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 15:54   #16
Junior Cruiser
 
PhoenixRising's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS
Posts: 6
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Unfortunately, there are people who think that calling something insane is just an invitation to try it out. I happen to be one. What would be some suggested modifications to hull and rigging that might improve chances of success (I have a 376)?
__________________

__________________
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 16:28   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 34
Is the goal the challenge of actually "rounding the horn" or is the goal to get from east coast to west coast (or vice versa) safely?

Why don't people go through the Strait of Magellan? It seems to be very sheltered and a nice easy(er) passage.

It's the challenge right?

Right?
__________________

__________________
Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 17:28   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hudson Valley N.Y.
Boat: contessa 32
Posts: 826
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Luck enters the equation when asking" is it possible to.........?".I do not believe that it is seamanlike to count on a fair amount of luck to make some poorly conceived adventure possible.Of course,there is some risk when going to sea;but the prudent mariner should be thinking of maximizing preparation and minimizing the luck requirements. There are very few craft designed for the recreational sailor that are ready to sail to the ends of the earth,but I suppose somebody could someday climb Mt Everest solo in tennis shoes.
__________________
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 18:49   #19
Registered User
 
susswein's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: live in Utah, Sail in sea of cortez
Boat: Balboa 27
Posts: 169
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

More than 20 years ago someone rounded the cape in a klepper (18' folding kayak with sail rig). A few years ago a couple of guys made the passage from South America to antarctica in a hobie cat, so I guess anything is possible if you're lucky with the weather.

You feelin' lucky, punk?
__________________
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 19:07   #20
Registered User
 
Khagan1227's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Posts: 1,330
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Even if it is cold and wet during the southern summer, I'd still want to stop and look around, I doubt you'd pass that way many more times in your life.

I agree with most of the other posters above, going to have to pick your weather window and pray it holds. Things seem to go south (no pun intended) pretty quick in the southern ocean.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 19:34   #21
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Hunter 33?Cape Horn?..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:04   #22
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,621
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Unfortunately, there are people who think that calling something insane is just an invitation to try it out. I happen to be one. What would be some suggested modifications to hull and rigging that might improve chances of success (I have a 376)?
I would:
1] go West to East.
2] add 3 stingers along the hull on each side.
3] upsize the chain plates
4] replace all standing rigging including wire, toggles, turnbuckles etc, upsize the rigging wire by one size or convert to compacted wire which would achieve the same result
5] add provisions for storm boards over all the windows
6] seriously consider adding a backstay
7] make provisions for a transom hung replacement rudder, not just a kludged together emergency rudder, but a real replacement rudder. If the rudder packs it in down there, the replacement needs to be up to serious work.
8] add an removable inner forestay for a hanked on storm staysail and go with 4 reefs in the main
9] if you skip the inner forestay, go with 3 reefs in the main and a trysail on its own track and convert the headsail to hanked on sails. 8] is really the much better option, redundant rigging and ease of setting a storm jib.
10] add a babystay from the low spreaders down to the fordeck
11] glass over the hull deck joint
12] move the mainsheet from its current position at midboom to a traveler on the bridge-deck
13] consider adding a masthead spinnaker halyard for a CodeZero or a screecher
14] consider adding a short anchoring platform that would also serve as a bowsprit for 13]
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:12   #23
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I would:
1] go West to East.
2] add 3 stingers along the hull on each side.
3] upsize the chain plates
4] replace all standing rigging including wire, toggles, turnbuckles etc, upsize the rigging wire by one size or convert to compacted wire which would achieve the same result
5] add provisions for storm boards over all the windows
6] seriously consider adding a backstay
7] make provisions for a transom hung replacement rudder, not just a kludged together emergency rudder, but a real replacement rudder. If the rudder packs it in down there, the replacement needs to be up to serious work.
8] add an removable inner forestay for a hanked on storm staysail and go with 4 reefs in the main
9] if you skip the inner forestay, go with 3 reefs in the main and a trysail on its own track and convert the headsail to hanked on sails. 8] is really the much better option, redundant rigging and ease of setting a storm jib.
10] add a babystay from the low spreaders down to the fordeck
11] glass over the hull deck joint
12] move the mainsheet from its current position at midboom to a traveler on the bridge-deck
13] consider adding a masthead spinnaker halyard for a CodeZero or a screecher
14] consider adding a short anchoring platform that would also serve as a bowsprit for 13]
build up the mast support beam on any 80s era Hunter 33 (I have seen this member split into and crack thru the FG)..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:15   #24
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,621
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
build up the mast support beam on any 80s era Hunter 33 (I have seen this member split into and crack thru the FG)..
PhoenixRising was asking about a Hunter 376 which began production in 1997 and has a post under the mast.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:20   #25
Registered User
 
ElGatoGordo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
Posts: 711
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Heck YEAH it's possible!!!! This guy did it in a 27 footer....actually he went around both N & S America.

Solo Around the America's Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating

But then that's HIM! The question is...can YOU round the Horn...in anything. Then you can pick a boat! But I suspect a troll...as many others do as well :-)
__________________
------------------
Gordo
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:27   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bayfield, Lake Superior, WI
Boat: C&C 34
Posts: 358
Images: 1
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetequila View Post
Is it possible for my Hunter 33 to make it around Cape Horn and if possible what is the best way to do this....coastal sailing, etc.
Take off the Windex and slide a Westsail 32 beneath it.
__________________
Never, ever, ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.
sailstoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:32   #27
Registered User
 
ElGatoGordo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
Posts: 711
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Take off the Windex and slide a Westsail 32 beneath it.
OK THAT was funny
__________________
------------------
Gordo
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 23:14   #28
Registered User
 
Katiusha's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 800
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

This is the couple that did it in stock Hunter 45: Sequitur

I think they only upsized fuel tanks...
__________________
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 23:41   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

This was the OP's one and only post, so we can only assume that he or she is out there doing it. In fact, given the time of year, that Hunter 33 is probably rounding the Horn as we sit here watching our blinking monitors!
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:07   #30
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Hunter 33 sailing around Cape Horn

Or we can assume that the OP is a 13yo kid that enjoys stirring up things with his blinking monitor. I think that probability is higher.
__________________

__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to sailing yaront Meets & Greets 7 14-04-2012 21:56
New to Sailing, Looking for Answers! seanmc30 General Sailing Forum 4 08-04-2012 07:59
For Sale: 2004 Hunter 26 Therapy Classifieds Archive 0 05-04-2012 18:07
Sailing Single Parented xeon_tsd General Sailing Forum 2 05-04-2012 11:06



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.