Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 18:06   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Howling today in the PNW

Hey thanks for the update on what happened glad there was no loss of life
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 18:28   #32

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I was there during the sinking of that one. She was on the beach and holed, the "salvagers" decided that they would try and get her to a dock. Pulled here off the beach and then sank. She was a wooden sloop, but had a fair amount of valuable stuff on board. No one on board when she broke her rode.
Passed Smith Island friday about 4 pm. Not a ripple on the water. Safe in Port Angeles right now and looking to Cape Flattery. Maybe later this week. I even talked to Paul in Friday Harbor on Wednesday.
Talk about missing things by a hairs breath....
S/V Beth, Did the vessel go ashore on one of the sandy beaches or did she come up on the rock jetty?

I am always baffled by the folks that choose to anchor off the rock jetty when sandy beaches are available 100 yards away in either direction. Hope the owner is able to recover the boat and sail her agian one day.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 19:50   #33

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
Was anyone crazy enough to go out sailing yesterday? And have pictures / video to show what it was like? I saw one video on Facebook (posted to the Duck Dodge group) of a boat sailing in Oak Bay (inside of Whidbey) with just a scrap of jib out (or maybe closer to 80%, hard to tell in a small grainy video).

Would've been a good time to practice heavy weather sailing. Although I imagine getting back into the marina would've been the scariest part.
We were there in Rosario Strait at the peak of the storm. I'm just now uploading video. Haven't seen any of it yet.

It was amazing. Winds surely beyond 50 knots. I really can't say, we came to calling them little hurricanes.
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 20:10   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They say we had winds in excess of 75 mph so by definition we had a hurricane yesterday. Looking forward to your sailing vids
Old 30-08-2015, 20:56   #35

This will have to do for now. It will take me a few days to edit out the good stuff and make a film.

This was what peak winds were like. We had quite a number of events like this. This was a period of small waves. We had waves up to 8 feet at times.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...724/4ca883e260
Old 30-08-2015, 21:06   #36

Here's one of the waves.

That will have to do for now until I can edit a movie.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...553/0a24523391
Old 30-08-2015, 21:42   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looks like fun to me thanks for the preview
Old 30-08-2015, 21:51   #38

We were having a great time.

Just one more. But there's a lot of it. I'll have a hard time getting it all down to three minutes.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...553/d8ce51c674
Old 30-08-2015, 22:57   #39

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

thanks Jim...getting old I guess...smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
Here's one of the waves.

That will have to do for now until I can edit a movie.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...553/0a24523391
Well..... at least you were going the right direction! I would imagine those winds were running with the tide at that point? They would likely be a lot steeper if not... or maybe there isn't much tide right now...
Our power was out about 28 hours here at the house. Trees cracking and popping all day, large limbs everywhere. Such a fluky deal for August for sure. Especially after like almost 50 days of 80 degree or more weather! Weird.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 09:03   #41

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We have friends on two month cruises who are out there somewhere and we hope they made it OK. This is the busiest week of the summer for cruising and this storm was not so well predicted that those out for more than a day sail could have got back to homeport first. Not to mention all the charter boats that go out for a week or more. I suspect we have not heard the true extent of the damage to boats and psyches. That is on top of the strong currents we have here. A twenty knot "breeze" can cause damaging wind waves when going against a 7 knot current. We see that often from our house overlooking Guemes Channel. A lot of charter boaters do not think to look at, or decide to ignore, the currents coming and going. People who sail here all the time know the fire they are playing with if they ignore the currents in their travels.

I hope all make it safe and sound back to port. (The power is still down in our marina two days later)
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 09:23   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We have friends on two month cruises who are out there somewhere and we hope they made it OK. This is the busiest week of the summer for cruising and this storm was not so well predicted that those out for more than a day sail could have got back to homeport first. Not to mention all the charter boats that go out for a week or more. I suspect we have not heard the true extent of the damage to boats and psyches. That is on top of the strong currents we have here. A twenty knot "breeze" can cause damaging wind waves when going against a 7 knot current. We see that often from our house overlooking Guemes Channel. A lot of charter boaters do not think to look at, or decide to ignore, the currents coming and going. People who sail here all the time know the fire they are playing with if they ignore the currents in their travels.

I hope all make it safe and sound back to port. (The power is still down in our marina two days later)
Yep, I spent hours trying to get in Guemes Channel one November with 30-35 knot winds running against the tide! I swear I sailed just north of the San Juan Ferry dock for 2hours without going anywhere, in my stupider younger days!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 09:29   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
[...] this storm was not so well predicted that those out for more than a day sail could have got back to homeport first. [...]
We knew the low-pressure system and high winds were coming at least a few days in advance. When s/v Beth was in Friday Harbor on Thursday we were talking about the nasty weekend forecast. The gale warning was posted on Friday, with predictions of 35-kt gusts in this vicinity, and was later upgraded to a storm warning. The intensity was a bit of a surprise, but we definitely knew something was coming.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 10:15   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
We were having a great time.

Just one more. But there's a lot of it. I'll have a hard time getting it all down to three minutes.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...553/d8ce51c674
Wow, great videos, thanks for sharing! You were on the bow not clipped in without jacklines run? You're the crazy sailor I was looking for! Ha.

Would love to hear more details - what route did you follow? You were running on a broad reach I assume? Did you just run with it all day till the winds eased (this would've put you way far north I imagine) or duck in somewhere and manage to get out of it?
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 10:55   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today is round two the wind is howeling again . Time for a quick day sail I'm hoping.