Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2015, 12:00   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Re: Howling today in the PNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Today is round two the wind is howeling again . Time for a quick day sail I'm hoping.
Please keep us updated. I've friends who are chartering out of Sequim right now. I hope they are holed up somewhere pleasant.

Old 31-08-2015, 12:24   #47

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
Wow, great videos, thanks for sharing! You were on the bow not clipped in without jacklines run? You're the crazy sailor I was looking for! Ha.

Would love to hear more details - what route did you follow? You were running on a broad reach I assume? Did you just run with it all day till the winds eased (this would've put you way far north I imagine) or duck in somewhere and manage to get out of it?
Of course I'm clipped into the jackline. You'd have to be an idiot not too. There's no way the boat is going back upwind to pick somebody up. In those conditions everyone is clipped on at all times.

We went out Friday night to get a buoy at Watmough bay to be set up. Our original intent was to sail South and meet the gale in the afternoon and ride it back to Sucia Island. But as you know the gale started in the morning so we just started downwind right away.

We're basically broad reaching. We tried to go strait through but a tug and tow started crowding us so we ended up jibing away a couple of times.

This is the second time I've done something similar to this so we came up with a name for it: "The Sucia Slide".

Once you tuck behind Orcas the wind lets up considerably but there are the occasional smoke monsters that come down and scour the surface. We got hit by one of those behind Orcas. It was pretty frightening since we had the entire #4 unrolled at that point. Luckily that only lasted a second or so.

Old 31-08-2015, 12:35   #48

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
Of course I'm clipped into the jackline. You'd have to be an idiot not too. There's no way the boat is going back upwind to pick somebody up. In those conditions everyone is clipped on at all times.
Oh good, I couldn't see them in the video. Still pretty courageous to go on the bow just to get video. : )
Old 31-08-2015, 14:31   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Please keep us updated. I've friends who are chartering out of Sequim right now. I hope they are holed up somewhere pleasant.
Actually not to bad just SCA today not gale flags 30 KT winds so its manageable
Old 31-08-2015, 14:35   #50
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

We are located about 60 miles up river from Astoria OR on the Columbia. It was a non-event for us, but a lot of canvas damage in Astoria and Ilwaco. There is still a small craft advisory inland from Cathlamet to Astoria on the river. First time I have seen this.......
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 22:40   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

They were salvaging 4 sailboats in PT when I passed through there this morning. No sailors lost life. My vidswwill have to wait. No bandwidth in the marina.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:17   #52

Boat: Ingrid

Just got back to Sequim Bay last night from Tacoma. Admiralty Inlet was still a tad feisty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1441113435.000317.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	108214
Old 01-09-2015, 09:30   #53

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
We were having a great time.

Just one more. But there's a lot of it. I'll have a hard time getting it all down to three minutes.

https://vimeo.com/user42995621/revie...553/d8ce51c674
Great videos, thanks for posting those. Just out of curiosity, what sort of speed over water were you clocking with just that handkerchief of a jib flying?

I was thinking of playing with the Tartan out of Anacortes on Saturday, but then chickened out. Probably wise, as I couldn't find crew stupid brave enough to go out there with me. Instead, I took the Columbia out on Lake Union in Seattle. Much calmer, but still plenty of opportunity to sink the rails.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:14   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some of the bigger gusts from Saturday:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gusts2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	108238  

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:59   #55

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
Great videos, thanks for posting those. Just out of curiosity, what sort of speed over water were you clocking with just that handkerchief of a jib flying?

I was thinking of playing with the Tartan out of Anacortes on Saturday, but then chickened out. Probably wise, as I couldn't find crew stupid brave enough to go out there with me. Instead, I took the Columbia out on Lake Union in Seattle. Much calmer, but still plenty of opportunity to sink the rails.
We started out with great intentions and were flying the full #4 for a while and hitting 8 knots. Normally my boat will surf beautifully under #3 and full main in 35 knots of wind which is what we started with. But that's the limit and the boat will be at the edge of control due to too much power. But since this was expected to be more of a gale than the typical 25 - 35 we decided not to put up the main and to go with only the #4.

The thing about sailing in the San Juans vs out in the Strait is that in the Islands you can get fierce violent gusts that don't happen out in the open spaces of the Straits. Getting hit by one of those under full working sail could quickly become disastrous and striking the full main a real chore.

It's important to know the nature of the gale you are playing with and how your boat responds. So that's a long way of saying we were taking it easy.

As the wind built up we rolled up the jib progressively while still making 6 - 8 knots. But when we got into the pinch point and the big gusts came we started getting some alarming shaking in the rig and since my recently rebuilt backstay cylinder apparently doesn't work I couldn't tension the headstay to get it to stop oscillating. So rather than lose the mast and hear a lifetime of "I told you so's from the peanut gallery" I rolled the jib way up and sheeted it in hard. At that point we're essentially bare poled and when the gusts went away our speed would drop to about 3 knots.

It's important to point out that there was a strong incoming current so we were making really good time over the land. That's why the sea is so strangely flat for such strong winds. Our total time from Watmough Bay to Eco Bay was 5 hours which is perfect because that's a day of sea time.

This kind of sailing isn't about bravery. It's about experience, preparation, and planning. Trying to get your boat out of the marina Saturday morning would have been poor planning. The best idea is to be on a buoy the night before so all you have to do is slip the lines to get out.

Everything about your boat topside and below needs to be dialed in. This is not the time to find out you've stowed something improperly or you have some issue with equipment on deck. Absolutely without question do not attempt to tow a dinghy in such conditions. That full cockpit enclosure? You'll come to regret having that if it doesn't just blow away. Kayaks on deck? Bad Juju....

I always plan ahead based on the forecast and have been doing a detailed study of wind events in this area for a number of years so a lot of what I do is based on experience and data. While the rest of the world seems surprised by the ferocity of this storm I'm not. I've learned through my own mistakes and years of experimenting to give this area a healthy respect. Being a little bit afraid of what could happen is a good thing.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:14   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The whole North Pacific is rough

Check out all of the weatherfax.

Northeast Pacific WX Briefing Package
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 22:05   #57

Korrigan I like your way of thinking...logical, sane, and deferential to mother nature's power.
Old 01-09-2015, 22:07   #58

Yup, I think the whole west coast is awaiting what mother nature will bring our way due to the super El Nino. I don't wish catastrophic events on anyone or any place. But heavens knows we need the rain and snow pack big time..
Old 02-09-2015, 10:28   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Anacortes paper reports that it was actually four boats that went aground during the storm, with only one still on the rocks.

Very unusual storm - for the summer - not for the winters here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: