Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 05:14   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: How would you go Bvi to pnw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunita View Post
Ok, has anyone here actually shipped a boat Ensenada to Vancouver area? Wondering how that works / costs.
Dockwise used to do Costa Rica, Endsenada and Vancouver. Search under yacht transport for vendors.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:26   #17

You gotta go 'round the horn. Great shakedown cruise.

Buy closer to home. The travel for survey, the breakdowns on delivery, wear and tear... will all erase any gains.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:37   #18

Quote:
Thanks guys. I have looked at a lot of closer boats! One aspect of a Carribean purchase is an excellent trip home! Future cruising from B. C. Would likely be southwest towards the South Pacific and beyond, so may not see Carribean and Gulf cruising again. Unless of course you just keep going west! Limited number of boats and much more expensive on the west coast.
Not an excellent trip home
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:46   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 38

We are in the same boat. We have been cruise working through the Caribbean for the last 13 years, and time to repatriate back to the PNW. We have looked at all the options and have decide to truck overland from TX to WA and then sail back to Canada.
My research has lead me to build a $15K usd budget to accomplish this. Didn't look at Ensenada though.
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:14   #20

Boat: Nonsuch U30

What about Panama to Hawaii, Hawaii to Juan de Fuca?
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:56   #21

Boat: Leopard 43

We brought our 43' catamaran from the BVI to the PNW last spring. We sailed to Panama, passed through the canal, then north to Golfito, Costa Rica where we loaded our cat onto a ship for the trip to Victoria, BC. We found that shipping from Golfito was the most cost-effective. We wouldn't have saved much by sailing to Manzanillo or Ensenada, and it cost about the same to load in the BVI or the east coast of Panama which was quite a bit more than loading in Golfito.

We used Sevenstar transport and were very happy with the service. The other companies we received quotes from included Peters and May, Dockwise, and United Yacht Transport.

-Rick
Old 01-02-2016, 09:13   #22

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Ok so we are seriously looking at a used Jeanneau 51, presently lying in the BVI's. We live in the pacific northwest and would need to bring her home. This presents an opportunity for a great voyage! I have never done this route or a canal transit, and it sounds like a chance to explore a bit, but primarily is a delivery. I have an idea of when and how I would route the trip, but wondered if there would be anyone willing to share their ideas?
I am wondering when you would undertake this and where you would go? The obvious challenges are hurricanes in the gulf and then getting north against the current and weather vs. Going west offshore and then back to the coast.
I know this forum includes many folks who have experience in this area and I appreciate your thoughts!
Cheers, Brad
Ps. Anyone switched a 220 volt generator to 110??
Hi Lunita,

The trip up the eastern Pacific coast is arduous at best, but has been done many times. If your relationship survives that slog you will be doing well...

A leg out to Hawaii from Panama [or further north...] and then up to Alaska, then down to the PNW is another viable alternative which won't take much more time than pounding up the coast in my experience.

The boat we purchased in Seattle in 2014 was delivered to Seattle [arranged by the previous owners] from the Pacific side of the Panama Canal on a ship that hauls yachts. [There are several companies specializing in this. I don't know which the po's used...]

This is just another option you might want to explore. Have the warm water adventure, and ship once you hit the Pacific [because you are heading north...]

RE: Generator: It sounds like possibly you are looking at a European boat? If so, also check the frequency of the generator. If it is 50hz [the US standard is 60hz] you have even more to do if the generator cannot be rewired. [e.g., install an isolation transformer or replacing the generator portion of the generator. Possibly a new inverter/battery charger, etc.]

Best wishes with your adventures!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 01-02-2016, 09:23   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
I agree. Now, if both you and your wife have the time, it would be worthwhile, but alone...

In addition, sounds like it's a 220v boat. That is another whole bunch of issues that will end of being far more work than initially thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
RE: Generator: It sounds like possibly you are looking at a European boat? If so, also check the frequency of the generator. If it is 50hz [the US standard is 60hz] you have even more to do if the generator cannot be rewired. [e.g., install an isolation transformer or replacing the generator portion of the generator.]
Hi Lunita,

Start reading up on 220v Euro boats and the obstacles that they come with... Your prospect sounds like it is one...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Find something better much closer to home.
This.
Or sail to Texas and truck from there! $$$$$

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:42   #25

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Before you buy a boat with 50hz AC for use in North America I would get a quote on what it would take to convert the entire boat to 60hz. That includes internal wiring, outlets, appliances, charging systems, water heater, AC, generator, accessories etc. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:43   #26

Boat: Nonsuch 30

If it is a European spec boat the AC wiring is unlikely to be adequate in size for 110v, so you would be looking at rewiring the AC circuit, likely including the panel. It will also probably be 550 hz which is a problem for some, but not all electric devices.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:43   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Depending on generator there may be a tap inside which can be selected for different voltages then speed adjust for frequency. This lower your KW capacity as well, however.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:53   #28

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I have made that voyage three times. The sail from Panama out to Hawaii is a cruising dream killer for many. Google: Sailing from Panama to Maui, to see a video of my last crossing. The trip from Hawaii up to the PNW isn't bad just progressively colder as you go. We encountered dense fog nearly the entire voyage of three weeks. Heaters suitable for boats are near impossible to find in Hawaii. We bought a Little Buddy online as a temporary means of fending off the April chill. Look at the satellite images for that stretch from Cabo to Hilo for just about any month of the year, it will show squalls and nasty weather most of the year. I recommend going north of the rhume line or trucking it from Guaymas.

I took six months to do the entire voyage but three months of that was cruising the Hawaiian Islands.

If trucking your boat a portion of the way is an option consider trucking it from Guaymas MX to Seattle and sail from there. Sailing from Cabo to Ensanada is a pain. You'll likely be motoring from Panama to the Latitude of Mazitlan so pile on the fuel. I found the blue plastic 55-gallon drums in Panama.

If the canal transit doesn't turn you off of banana republic bureaucracies for life you'll love Costa Rica. With Denghy, Zika and Chikungunya running rampant (I've had two of these) maximizing your exposure may not be a great idea. Nanny Cay was a hot bed of Tropical disease when we were there, hot as all get out but a fantastic place to outfit a new to you boat.

Hawaii is worth the sail out there. We had many years cruising the Caribbean in our past so we bee-lined it to Panama. That bit is a great sail.

I had a vessel that ran 220 and 110. The conversion is not as simple as some may make it out to be. Phase is an issue.
Good luck to you which ever way you go.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:56   #29

That trip may cost you 10,000.00 $ and maybe a new engine, unless with plenty of offshore experience, you sail via Hawai to PNW.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:15   #30

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

So the cost would be the same trucking or sailing. If you have the time go sailing
Why not extend it a bit, Caribean, Canal, Galapagos, south bound during the northern hurricane season to Tahiti, then up to Hawaii, Alaska and home
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote