Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2011, 10:27   #46

Boat: Maxum 37'
Re: How to Raise the Main without the Engine ?

It is amazing the level of knowledge present on this thread. On another thread there was some question of the quality of advice on internet forums.

But what I've read so far are great suggestions from experienced sailers that I can't wait to try out.

Old 13-10-2011, 20:50   #47

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

It all boils down to what works for your boat. I always raise the main first. I can steer mine easier and more efficiently with the main up. I have sailed my boat out of a busy cramped marina before and couldn't get my boat to point into or through the wind to tack under jib alone.
You should have seen the eyes of the power boaters in the marina that day...:-) Nothing like passing a million dollar boat my starboard to their port side leaving a marina under jib and the owner watching you fight to keep your boat away from his.
I finally cleared the boats and still had problems in the channel until I raised the main.
But that's my boat not yours. Do what works for you and your boat and practice it over and over again.
Attached Images

Old 13-10-2011, 21:41   #48
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Let's ask goprisko! He will know.

I dunno. Anyone who is engineless would have to be able to dock under sail. That takes significant skill (before anyone protests, just because you can do it doesn't mean you don't have significant skills! I would never attempt it, and no one would want me to.)

I think anyone who can leave and return to the dock using sails could surely sail single-handed.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:48   #49

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I dunno. Anyone who is engineless would have to be able to dock under sail. That takes significant skill (before anyone protests, just because you can do it doesn't mean you don't have significant skills! I would never attempt it, and no one would want me to.)

I think anyone who can leave and return to the dock using sails could surely sail single-handed.
Just don't sail into the marina faster then you would want to hit the dock. Drop the jib when close and be quick with the main and the dock lines. You'll mess up once or twice just remember hesitation makes problems. Know where the wind is coming from and just as you are ready be prepared to be blown into the dock or another boat. Practice Practice Practice..... I'll be at my boat watching the million dollar boat owners freaking out.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:51   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Just don't sail into the marina faster then you would want to hit the dock. Drop the jib when close and be quick with the main and the dock lines. You'll mess up once or twice just remember hesitation makes problems. Know where the wind is coming from and just as you are ready be prepared to be blown into the dock or another boat. Practice Practice Practice..... I'll be at my boat watching the million dollar boat owners freaking out.
You won't be watching as I do it, because I won't do it. Period. I know I don't have those skills yet.

By the way, I hit one of those million dollar yachts once. I pulled out of my slip bow first, which meant I was pointing toward the transient dock. BIG gorgeous honkin' catamaran there. Engine crapped out, had no steering, could not turn. Bang. Oops.

I have proven it. You cannot WILL a boat to turn.
Old 13-10-2011, 22:05   #51

Boat: Tartan 30

This guy does it (in and out of a slip) engine-less and singlehanded. Actualy, one handed!
it's not incredible skill... it's ingenuity and courge

As for hitting other boats, two words. BOAT POLE!
Old 13-10-2011, 22:08   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
This guy does it (in and out of a slip) engine-less and singlehanded. Actualy, one handed!

No, it's SKILL combined with all those things. As for a boat pole -- I am one with my boat pole and am going to buy a second one because it would bug the hell out of me if mine went overboard and I didn't have a spare.
Old 13-10-2011, 22:15   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post

I have absolutely no doubt that he can sail his boat single handed. I have cerebral palsy, which affects my legs (arms are just fine) -- something you're born with, and it doesn't get worse over time. I've figured out work-arounds for virtually everything from hauling up the anchor to getting on and off the boat when the freeboard is weil above the dock. I've got muscle definition in my arms like you wouldn't believe, which is really pretty amazing in a 65 year old woman.

But this guy happens to have the experience and skills to bring his boat into the dock under sail, single handed. I have no doubt I will have those skills some day, but in order to not hit the dock any faster than you want to while dodging those million dollar docks, I just wouldn't do it. I would anchor outside the marina if that were my only choice.

I think it the height of foolishness to over-estimate your skills.

I have done some things I'm pretty proud of. I successfully tacked a ten-ton boat -- in 1 kt of winds. I knew what I was doing. Docking under sail? I categorically know that I do NOT know what I'm doing there.
Old 13-10-2011, 22:35   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

funny--we didnt use a boat pole when i was a kid sailing into long docks on hudson river, nor sailing my own sloop to the work dock in san diego and mortifying everyone. we merely landed the boat-- you dont land the boat with the main up-- main is your driving sail. jib is your steering control sail.
i didnt know sailboats could have engines until i was grown, and we had sailed my uncle's antique gaff rigger for 11 years. he kept it o n a mooring in a creek in upstate ny---his was 3rd ball into catskill creek from hudson river.

we drove my ketch into cedros island village wharf under pure sail when my starter died-- wasnt no big deal.

what would y'all do WITHOUT your engine, should a crisis exist....call a tow?? where ye gonna find that number in a strange country in which you dont speak the language?? stuff happens. are YOU ready for it?? or is the boat "perfect" , meaning it will break down despite efforts to contrary?? how will you deal with that ??
a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw dollars, and sailors MUST be ready for ANYTHING.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 22:37   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I have absolutely no doubt that he can sail his boat single handed. I have cerebral palsy, which affects my legs (arms are just fine) -- something you're born with, and it doesn't get worse over time. I've figured out work-arounds for virtually everything from hauling up the anchor to getting on and off the boat when the freeboard is weil above the dock. I've got muscle definition in my arms like you wouldn't believe, which is really pretty amazing in a 65 year old woman.

But this guy happens to have the experience and skills to bring his boat into the dock under sail, single handed. I have no doubt I will have those skills some day, but in order to not hit the dock any faster than you want to while dodging those million dollar docks, I just wouldn't do it. I would anchor outside the marina if that were my only choice.

I think it the height of foolishness to over-estimate your skills.

I have done some things I'm pretty proud of. I successfully tacked a ten-ton boat -- in 1 kt of winds. I knew what I was doing. Docking under sail? I categorically know that I do NOT know what I'm doing there.

I'm not trying to push you into it

As long as I have a running motor, and sea-tow, I won't be doing it either...

I just thought that guy makes it look relatively easy. Hand push the boat out of the slip, and just get the bow into the slip, then hand pull it the rest of the way... Something for others to consider, I suppose.
Old 13-10-2011, 22:39   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
funny--we didnt use a boat pole when i was a kid sailing into long docks on hudson river, nor sailing my own sloop to the work dock in san diego and mortifying everyone. we merely landed the boat-- you dont land the boat with the main up-- main is your driving sail. jib is your steering control sail.
i didnt know sailboats could have engines until i was grown, and we had sailed my uncle's antique gaff rigger for 11 years. he kept it o n a mooring in a creek in upstate ny---his was 3rd ball into catskill creek from hudson river.

we drove my ketch into cedros island village wharf under pure sail when my starter died-- wasnt no big deal.

what would y'all do WITHOUT your engine, should a crisis exist....call a tow?? where ye gonna find that number in a strange country in which you dont speak the language?? stuff happens. are YOU ready for it?? or is the boat "perfect" , meaning it will break down despite efforts to contrary?? how will you deal with that ??
a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw dollars, and sailors MUST be ready for ANYTHING.
some of us didn't grow up sailing. Kudo's to you though Zee. You're a fine seaman if there ever was one.

My boat pole comment was directed towards "imminent impact". If you have the skills already, then you probably won't find yourself in that position, and thus its not needed...
Old 13-10-2011, 22:52   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

lol we are always in a position of imminent impact when sailing up to a dock. is life. same with reversing from a slippage situation. none of us is perfect, i just saying as i was taught for others to gain the info, as it is functional. what WILL ye do when the inevitable engine fail happens......i hate it when the engine fail happens in less that 8 kts wind, as my boat wont maneuver ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 22:52   #58

Location: Auckland New Zealand {land of the long white cloud}
Boat: William Garden Transworld 41

It sure takes some skill and confidence to dock under sail, the guy in the video had perfect conditions, I wouldnt want to do it with my full keel and all the tide and wind we get here.
Old 13-10-2011, 23:00   #59

What will I do when the engine fails? Learn something new...

Paulie, I'm sure the guy in the vid wouldn't go out like that in anything less than perfect (actually I'm not sure, but I'd bet he took the opportunity for what it was). That's what enginless sailors do. Wait for weather...

Zee, I certainly understand, why wait for the inevitable when you could just practice and get it down beforehand? It's a good idea. Planning on it... That was kinda my point. It's not as difficult as it sounds, it just takes a little courage to do it the first few times. After that, it's just like everything else with sailing...easy.
Old 13-10-2011, 23:04   #60

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
Yes, I'm talking about a situation where the engine is off, and there is no way on the boat whatsoever. Assume that there are no sails up whatsoever.

My spreaders aren't swept back.

I typically like to raise the main before the jib, as my boat heaves to nicely under main alone. But from what I'm hearing... I should experiment with raising the jib first to put a little way on the boat, at which point maybe I can get the head a little into the wind? Is that the accepted strategy?

Thanks for the replies!
Are you trying to do this singlehanded or do you have crew to steer? If you're single handed you would benefit from an autopilot or a steering line run around the deck. Attach small blocks to several lifeline stantion bases, run a line from the tiller around the deck and back to the tiller. Now you can steer from anywhere on deck. That will make singlehanded sailing a lot easier. More tension on the steering line will hold the tiller in place while you do other things.

Have you tried sailing with just the jib? It's usually easier to raise and lower the jib because there's less rigging to get in the way. Most boats will sail nicely with the jib alone. Get her sailing close hauled and set the helm to keep you one that course. Now you can raise the main easily as it will stream free of all the rigging.

Fabbian

Tags
ais, engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: