Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 21:51   #1

How to pull into slip singlehanded?

I just bought my first boat yesterday! 1976 Westsail 28. I want to take it out as soon as possible, but I am nervous about getting in and out of the slip. I plan on getting a lesson for this sole purpose, but wanted to come on here to get your help. Is it easier than it looks? What im worried about is being able to see while Im at the tiller to make sure i don't hit the pier or the boat next to me. Im thinking it would be easiest to back into the slip for the most visibility, but full keel boats do not back up well.

So any advice or stories would be very helpful!
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 22:20   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: How to pull into slip singlehanded?

See: "Docking Techniques Seminar" on YouTube. When you're out where there's nothing to hit and nobody watching, practice maneuvering backward and forward at low speed. Drop a cardboard box in the water and learn to pull up to it and stop. Back up and watch which way the boat turns because of "prop walk." Then go forward and use the rudder to turn the bow in the same direction. You can learn to turn the boat around 360* in a very small area. Get someone experienced to go with you the first few times. See as many YouTube videos on docking and maneuvering as you can. Learn what the wind and current can do when you're trying to move at low speed. My boat is just like a Westsail 32, but in ferrocement, so I know something about what you're dealing with.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 22:52   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congratulations on the new boat!
Invite friends to help you out but DO NOT under any circumstances let them get in between the boat and ANYTHING! That boat is heavy, a person will not stop it, even when it is going slowly! The advice to practice a lot with a float or something is good. Also go practice over at the launch ramp dock. Buy lots of fenders and put them all around the boat. Don't worry about what ANYONE says or thinks. But when it is time to get your boat back in, GO VERY SLOWLY, like a VERY slow walk speed, and if you have any doubt, back up and jockey it around and try again. Yes it won't back up well so you'll need to be aware of what the bowsprit is doing and what it may hit as you back up and the boat begins to turn. If you want to kick the stern one way or the other to straighten her out, put the tiller hard over and goose it forward BRIEFLY. That will send a jet over the angled rudder and kick the stern over without giving you much forward motion. And don't go out if there is any breeze. Once you have it lined up and aimed just right, coast in and have it idling in reverse so you are ready to goose it if it is going too fast or when it is time to stop. that's my 2 cents
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 01:32   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

There is only one way to learn - practice, practice, practice.

Start out on days when there is no wind.

And when I say practice - I mean practice - spend 3-4 hours on it, you'll be surprised how fast you get the hang of it.

When we were first starting out, we'd practice the whole afternoon and then reward ourselves with a good steak dinner and a good bottle of red wine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:16   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Probably the easiest way to dock, assuming that it's possible to do this in your slip/side tie. Is to rig a spring line through a snatch block on your toerail about 1/3 of the way forward from your transom. With it being led from the block back to the cockpit, preferably to a self-tailing winch. And with a large loop on the outboard end, opposite the end in the cockpit.

You want it configured so that when the end with the loop is dropped over a clear or piling, it's geometry will stop the boat from moving forward, with the engine set at ahead slow. And so that when the line snugs itself via your motion, it both stops your forward motion, as well as pulls that side of the boat against, & parallel to the dock.

That way when docking, once the loop is on the dock cleat, the boat pretty much docks itself. And if you need to adjust the line, it's on a winch right next to the helm. So that you have all 3 controls right at hand; engine, helm, dockline.

Best place to practice most docking is on a long side tie/pier, where there are no other boats. And no one's likely to suddenly pop out ahead or astern of you when you're practicing. Which, the long side tie gives you lots of room to practice, with & without goofs. As well as trying out different springing techniques, & seeing how different lines connecting you to the dock affect the boat's handling.

Keep in mind too that at 2kts it's generally tough to do much damage with, or to a boat. The sprit's the only sticking point, no pun intended.

Should anyone accidentally wind up in the water while you're docking, their inclination will be to want to let everyone know they're okay. Including via getting close enough to the boat to be easily heard, & from their (incorrect) perspective, seen.
You'll likely need to continually yell at them to get away from the boat, & swim underneath of the dock if they're at all close to it. And keep yelling wise actions until they're spotted by you & your crew. However if you're somewhere that there's a strong current, or it would be easy for a swimmer to get stuck, then the going under the dock choice may not be the wisest.
Think this one though long prior to taking the boat out, so that you have a plan. And needs be, discuss it with everyone.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:52   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Don't approach the dock any faster than you want to hit it, and as noted and implied above, keep practicing (kind of a redundant point, because, due to the dynamism of boating, almost every docking experience will [can?] offer some new insight...)
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:02   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

I come in forward and hopefully slow. Sometimes though if it's downwind you have to be careful.

I do have an outboard though so I can maneuver the boat at will but it can get complicated at times with the boat tiller in one hand and the outboard tiller in the other........

The wind tells me which line to tie first....

Hopefully, you are not one of those that freaks out with every little scratch your boat gets or every time you bump a piling or dock with on your boat.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:08   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

All good advice so far. Definitely take some time out in clear water to get familiar with the boat's handling characteristics, particularly what it takes to stop her at slow speed, and how she backs. That boat is going to pull to port when backing up, and may not back to starboard at all for the first boat length due to prop walk.

You can use this prop walk to your advantage; if you need to turn the boat around in a tight space, go clockwise. By alternating forward and reverse and throwing the tiller over appropriately, you may be able to spin the boat in little over her own length.

When docking, analyze your options for a given situation with respect to maneuvering room, available pilings/cleats, current, wind, and available assistance. Evaluate if there is a "point of no return" which happens with currents and strong winds (i.e. you'll get to a point where you can't back out and try again, but have to proceed with the plan, so be prepared to see it through).

I'm a bit proponent of what Uncivilized proposed, in concept, which is to get an aft spring on a piling/cleat and keep the boat idling to pin it, if appropriate. If you're single handing, it can often be the only/best way to keep the boat on the dock so you can secure other lines. There are lots of ways to skin that cat, of you have a midship cleat and a long enough line.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:50   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
There is only one way to learn - practice, practice, practice. ..............
Practice does little good unless you're practicing the correct way. Of course there are multiple ways to get a boat into a slip. Some good, some not so good.

In many parts of the country where boating is popular, there are "captains" who provide training (for a fee) in boat handling. My suggestion is to find one of these captains who has experience with boats like yours and pay for a few hours of training.

Once you understand how the boat reacts to the controls and wind and current and know the best ways to dock it, then is the time to practice.
Old 14-03-2017, 04:53   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Don't approach the dock any faster than you want to hit it, .................
That's generally good advice, but there are times when wind and current require you to go faster so that you, not the wind and current are controlling the direction of the boat.
Old 14-03-2017, 05:16   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If this is a slip, I have seen people take a fender and tie it at the end of the slip with two ropes in the form of a V. Idea is as the boat enters the slip the V in the rope guides the bow in and centers it, bow nudges into the fender and you leave the boat in fwd ideling and take your time about tieing up.
Seems to work well. I have a full keel boat, and my advice is to forget about backing in for awhile, we have no steering at all in reverse, unless we are going faster than we should in a slip.
In fwd, we have steering of course as the prop washes over the rudder, but there is no prop wash in reverse.
Your boat probably has some "prop walk", likely brings the bow to Starboard, learn to anticipate it, once you get used to it, it will become a useful tool. I call it a poor mans bow thruster, it allows you to come alongside of a fuel dock without touching it for instance, but until you learn to anticipate it, it will frustrate your attempts at docking.

When the wind and current is up and causes you to have to go faster then you are comfortable. Don't go out, and if your out, throw a hook and wait until it subsides.
I know, tough when you have to go to work tomorrow. I have sat all day at anchor within 100 yds of my slip because the wind was gusting too strong for me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:56   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have operated and docked a WS 28 before. It is not too difficult to see everywhere from the helm of that boat. The thing to remember is that you must have way on to be able to steer, but that it has a lot of momentum. So, a reliable spring line is your best friend.
You will only get steerage in reverse if you're going kind of fast, so it's better to nose in when possible. Try to always dock heading into wind and current, but if it comes to a choice, choose to dock against current, which will have a far greater effect on the boat.
I repeat: practice your spring-line technique for both docking and undocking--it is the single most inportant thing to know.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 06:11   #13

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

All great suggestions so far. One other technic that helps me feel comfortable is to take every foot of space in front of your slip. Come in as far away from your slip as possible then hang a 90 toward the slip, as this will give you several seconds to watch what the wind, tide, and your boat may do to you.

Dave
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 06:28   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What about that new automatic feature that parallel parks it for you? Haven't you had that retrofitted yet?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 06:55   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Start on a calm day. Windless if possible.

A couple people said to approach slowly, which works if there is no wind. If there is wind, this won't work because you lose control to the wind.

In wind, a boat is like an airplane- a controlled crash. Come in fast, smash it up against the fenders, hit reverse to stop boat. The previous recommendations on using lines are important.

If there is an outboard post (e.g., one between you and the boat next to you) you can run a rope to the dock at front (e.g., main pier) and then also create a bridle that will stop the bow from hitting the main pier. You can effectively cocoon your boat into a rope bridle system that prevents your boat from hitting the boat next to you or crunching the bow if you screw up.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single