Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 16:27   #46

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: How to pull into slip singlehanded?

Be totally in control of the drift of your boat
Anticipate
Get lines ready in advance, and lay them amidship!

In fact, jump over the dock from midship, where beam is large.
If you dont have a pass thru on the rails, just have it done, it is precious!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 03:06   #47

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The "UNCIVILIZED" method is what we use, too.
Thanks for this. But not my method, I learned it from Don Street at an early age. And then got lots, & lots of practice driving ships for Uncle Sam, & sailing/racing professionally.

However, for learning, put out fenders on both sides of your boat, for leaving and for returning to the slip. Most people who have a home base marina tend to leave their dock lines there, but you need to carry dock lines for the event of not returning there. So, fenders, AND spring line(s). The large loop is to make it easy to drop over the cleat closest to the fairway.
The extra fenders thing, especially deploying them on both sides, is a wise one. Ditto on carrying extra docklines, including overlength ones.

What will happen is that you are able to control the "brakes", and stop the boat where you want it. With the tiller centered, and the engine in fwd, dead slow, the spring line holds you parallel to the dock, and you can step off and secure the rest of the dock lines, then return and turn off the engine. By the way, before you enter the area of the marina, on your way back, in is the time to drift, or slowly motor in circles away from everything, while you set up the dock lines so that (a) they will lead fair, and (b) have the tails where they will be easy for you to reach when you step off. There are other threads about how to set up dual springs and tieing up boats in the archives, maybe do a CF Google Custom Search on that subject.

Although SailorChic34 recommended a downwind slip, personally, I'd prefer up wind and up current, I think it's easier to control. Crosswind will require you to come in somewhat faster, to not be blown off, and that's why everyone has been saying to practice on a no wind, calm day till you get the hang of what's easy for your boat to do. What SC said about the wind steering the bow is right, it will blow down. More so with a furler on it because of the windage. Always check what the wind and currents are trying to do to the boat before docking [is it setting you on or off?].
Docking with the bow aimed upwind, & upcurrent gives you a lot more control. Since the boat stops quicker when you put the engine into neutral or reverse. And you need less speed over ground in order for the rudder to be effective, since the current is providing water flow over it, thus making it effective at slower relative speeds.

Congrats on your new boat. Enjoy.

Ann
Always keep an anchor ready to drop. That way if something goes awry, any time until just prior to your final approach to the slip, you can drop it, & regroup, sort things/the problem out, & reforumlate your approach plans. Plans plural that is.

The other thing about anchors is that in some docking venues, you can drop a stern anchor on your way into a slip, & use it to control your approach via braking, & or turning the boat with it's rode. Generally with the rode being led to a stout cockpit winch, in a way that the rode can't possibly get in the way or pin anyone when you're docking.
Then once you're docked, simply hop into a dinghy, & go & pick the anchor up.

Also, a more advanced technique with them is to use a breast anchor much as you would some types of spring lines to control your approach or final landing.
Anchors can also be dropped off the bow, "under foot", & in a variety of other manners, in order to assist with docking, & or keeping the boat out of trouble when in close quarters.

Another semi-advanced technique is to drop one or more large orange fenders attached to anchors, in some out of the way spot that has plenty of room for you to manuver. And to use them in order to hone your close quarters manuvering skills. Such as practicing coming up to one, & stopping or hovering, from any & all angles (to wind or current).i As well as using them for backing drills, MOB drills, practice at approaching & picking up moorings/mooring balls, etc.
NOTE: When you do this ensure that the anchor rodes used with them are only slightly longer than the depth of the water so that you don't accidentally foul your prop.

A great training tool is to borrow or rent a smaller boat which is a lot lighter, as well as more manuverable than yours is. As it'll give you much better feedback on what controls & actions elicit the various responses from the vessel. Plus with something lighter, like say a J24, they're a lot easier to physically shove around at/near the dock. Safely. Well, pretty much anyway.

Go sailing with friends & neighbors often, & ask to take the helm, especially when docking. As getting practice on other boats will help to hone your skills to use with yours. Plus you'll have built in coaches right there should you need them. But be clear with the skippers as to whether or not you want coaching during anything but situations which are in extremis. Which, the owner may step in & take over at that point anyway.

One final thought, for now, is to think of docking a boat as being the same as "throwing" a car up a slippery hill where you need to stop, or slow way down at the top of the hill. You need to impart enough momentum to make it all of the way up, & then only plan to get minimal assistance in stoppiong from the brakes. Or in this case, shifting the prop from ahead into astern.

And if you've got the coin, a reversible pitching prop such as a Max-Prop is invaluable. As they provide 95% as much thrust in reverse as they do when powering ahead. And can make this directional change in but a second or three, liteally. So few folks that have them ever want to switch back to fixed props.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 04:24   #48

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Everyone here seems to like going in forward- personally I prefer backing in.

Why? Most slips only have a 1/2 finger, so going forward in means having to leave the helm - bad idea.

backing in gives you lots of advantages
1- you're right there where you can see just how close you are to the finger or the boat next to you
2- if done correctly (practice, practice, practice) you can use your reverse propwalk to spin the boat the 90 degrees to set up going into the slip
3 - have your mid cleat spring line rigged and run it outside the railing back to the helm. As you pass the end of the finger and the cleat on that finger, on a small baot like yours it will be easy to just lean out and drop the spring line around the cleat. Now your spring line is on and you can control how far the baot is going into the slip and you can control how she lies against the finger.
4- tie down the mid spring line and you can now get off the boat and tie the forward and aft lines at you leisure (remember to take bow when all the onlookers start applauding and keep a smile on your face that says " aw shucks guys - that weren't nothin' )

Seriously - we almost never go in forward anymore - but liek everything, you need to practice this - as I noted before, practicing for 3-4 hours for a few days will do wonders for your docking technique and also for your self-confidence.

I looks easy when someone docks correctly - but don't forget, they weren't born with that skill - they learned and got good because they have done it hundreds, if not thousands of times.

good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 05:11   #49

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

carstenb, you do realize that he has the epitome of a full keel, with attached barn door rudder. Which has handling characteristics diametrically opposed to a fin keel & spade rudder (like yours). And they're notorious for not being able to back up in a straight line, or predictably. Non?
I could of course be wrong, but I know it'd take a lot of coin to get me to try to back my mate's Cape George 36' in anywhere. And I've next to zero fear of driving anything & everything south of 10,000 tons. Including single screw steam propulsion, & submarines (with same).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 06:35   #50

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
carstenb, you do realize that he has the epitome of a full keel, with attached barn door rudder. Which has handling characteristics diametrically opposed to a fin keel & spade rudder (like yours). And they're notorious for not being able to back up in a straight line, or predictably. Non?
I could of course be wrong, but I know it'd take a lot of coin to get me to try to back my mate's Cape George 36' in anywhere. And I've next to zero fear of driving anything & everything south of 10,000 tons. Including single screw steam propulsion, & submarines (with same).
Oh ye of little faith........................

Sorry - forgot he was a full-keeler. My Sun Fast is easy peasy to back in and it really is the only way to go.

But I'll still maintain that he should get out and practice 3-4 hours for a few days - then he will have learned it and be able to just do it.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 06:36   #51

Boat: Rawson 30PH

+1 on the stress free sailing book! (Good book and online videos ... plus a fun opportunity to learn British idioms &#128521

Read and PRACTICE.

On the bridle - check out Bow Buoy Docking System > Home for a good example, with videos.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 06:48   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I don't want to disagree with some respected experts, but OP has some real challenges that stern-to mooring, bridles, and quick 90 degree turns will not solve. He's docking a (beautiful) traditional hulled vessel -- see diagram: The Westsail 28 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 07:11   #53

Boat: Hunter 380

Well you have received a ton of information (and I haven't read them all) but I would go with the easy part first. Pick somebody at the marina who might have a keel/boat with your characteristics to spend an afternoon with you. Pick a day without wind and putter around the marina. Learn how she handles in reverse and forward thrust. I dont know what your prop walk will be but you will find out and be able to utilize it. Practice pulling alongside the fuel dock port, starboard, forward, and in reverse. Enjoy the day learning your boat. Check the wind forecast and maybe the next next morning you can brush up while calm and start to add some wind into the equation. You will get comfortable so go and enjoy.
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 13:23   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

I covered this in my Singlehanded Tips book. You can find the free version here: http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf
Go to page 6-1 to find docking.

A couple of things to remember:
If the dock is wood, then don't be worried at all. Your boat will not get a scratch if you rub up against wood, or probably even if you hit the wood hard. Last year I pulled up to a strange wood dock without any fenders out and all the other sailors were running around like chickens with their heads cut off worried about my boat. I said "don't worry, the dock is wood." Really, DON'T WORRY. Once I smashed at full speed into a wooden 4x4 and broke it in half, but just scratched the gelcoat.

Second, if you are pulling into your own slip at your dock, then you should leave the dock lines and fenders permanently on the dock, and not on your boat. (Look in my book to see a photo) Right now I can pull into my dock in any wind conditions with absolutely no preparation and absolutely no problems because I know the stern line will stop the boat perfectly before the bow hits the dock. I've done about a thousand dockings like this and have never hit the bow. It really impresses the other boaters on a windy day when I pull into my slip, put the stern line of the stern cleat and calmly step off the boat while the boat stops dead, then I put the bow line on.

Have fun!
Old 16-03-2017, 13:46   #55

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

There are too many possible scenarios to give a short answer. Usually, go slow but maintain steerage way. Have lines ready. A midship cleat is very handy for initially securing the boat. The trick is to keep the boat close to the dock in the time it takes to dismount.

It is usually no sweat once learning how the boat handles. It was not unusual for me to eschew the auxiliary and sail to the dock in 24 and 29-foot sloops.
Old 16-03-2017, 23:52   #56

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am getting some private lessons this weekend and plan on covering docking a lot. My slip has no pilings, dock to port, another boat to stbd. The marina is very narrow. I remember on the sea trial the owner was pretty close to the other boats on the port side before he swung the boat in. I think once I am able to get a feel for how the boat maneuvers out at sea ill feel more comfortable.
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:30   #57

Boat: Alberg 35

As to backing? He has a full keel boat. I have an Alberg 35. I thought the problem with backing was my own piloting skills until I talked to an older, wiser owner who said, "I've had my A35 for 25 years, when I put it in reverse, I stills have no idea where it will go." With a LOT of practice and on a calm day at slack tide, it MIGHT be possible for me to predictably back into my slip. But I don't. I go in forward. I have walkways on both sides, so no advantage to backing in and I use a spring line to get out.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:06   #58

I got my first boat a couple years ago and started by getting a sail instructor on board with me. We spent a couple hours backing in and out of the slip. Really was able to learn how my boat handles in reverse and how to use things like the wind and prop walk to my advantage. Now I impress even the most experienced sailers when they see me do it.

I also have my slip well set up with lines to keep from going into the boats next to me and with fenders in the right places to keep the boat and dock protected.
sbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:15   #59
F10

Boat: S&S 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
As to backing? He has a full keel boat. I have an Alberg 35. I thought the problem with backing was my own piloting skills until I talked to an older, wiser owner who said, "I've had my A35 for 25 years, when I put it in reverse, I stills have no idea where it will go." With a LOT of practice and on a calm day at slack tide, it MIGHT be possible for me to predictably back into my slip. But I don't. I go in forward. I have walkways on both sides, so no advantage to backing in and I use a spring line to get out.
Other benefit to go into a slip bow first is that is normally the strongest part of a boat, if you do hit something. Also, the way the bow is shaped, it can "ride up" a dock if you do strike it and minimize damage (know this from experience). Striking something with the stern could lead to rudder damage. A bow sprint does lead to problems when docking, as does any dolphin striker and support cables and chain. Liked your comment on backing, I have the same problem.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single