Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 10:20   #31

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: How to pull into slip singlehanded?

If you have problems or the wind is strong motor into wind forwards or backwards (if your boat will back up into wind, try it first) up to one of the dock piles. loop a linre round it. You are now safe, can't hit anyone and can take time to lead the boat in withe the lines. Called warping in and well worth practicing. Don't forget the marina staff will come and help, even to the extent of using a dingy as a tug. May cost but less than damaging a boat. Usually if you call and say you are single handing they will come and help with lines for free as their job is to protect all the boats.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:29   #32

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Very wise to ask this, as a westsail can do a lot of damage to a dock! I didn't see anyone use the phrase, "slow is pro" but if you take advantage of the westsail's general lack of speed, so much the better! Go slow and play the wind.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:29   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I single handed my P30 in and out of my dock at Confederation Basin many, many times.

The first thing to consider is the wind and current. If there is none, then your task is simple...steer into the slip, a little reverse, and you are done. However, this is rarely the case.

My home marina has no protection from the wind, and is located on the lee shore of the predominantly strong SW winds. I selected a slip that is head to wind. Most of the slips at my marina are NOT head to wind, and singlehanding in and out would be impossible.

With a light headwind, I untie all the lines except the headrope tied short. When I'm ready, I lose the headrope, and walk the boat aft holding the shrouds. The autohelm is off but holding the tiller at just slightly to port to help start a slow turn in reverse. At the end of the dock, I step aboard and run to the helm.

Coming in head to wind is easy too. Just nice and slow, straight in, coasting with engine in neutral. When close in, I step ashore with a headrope and stern line. I secure the headrope and the boat is not going anywhere since the wind is blowing it straight back.

As I said at the beginning...the wind is the most important thing. its a sailboat.

https://youtu.be/8n7mQA-Gw40
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:07   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Have a spring line made up and remember you are not steering the bow it's the stern. Hang some fenders off. Good luck and keep current and wind in mind. Start with a slack tide on a calm day. It is technique.
PS, try it with some friends onboard the first couple of times. Let them sit on their hands unless needed to fend off.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:29   #35

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

something maybe not mentioned yet is to plan a bailout when needed. There may be times wind and current do not allow a single handed return. in those moments most marinas have guest/transient slips readily available out front. i do not hesitate to tie up there where conditions and especially access is easier than my slip in certain wind and current angles. I can typically go back and move on in later if conditions improve. Can even leave overnight in most cases. Certainly practice and proficiency are priority but some days even the best of skippers need a safe temp parking spot.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:44   #36

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but in largely calm conditions I simply get speed right, aim for where I know first fender will touch dock, hit neutral about 8' out and coast up to dock. As fender touches I step off boat with (and this is key) line in my hand that is cleated on midship cleat. Once on a dock cleat boat stops and goes nowhere allowing me time to secure bow and stern lines. Key is that line that sits on safety lines on the beam and connected to midship cleat.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:55   #37

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Knowing how to "get speed right" and how far you can coast at different speeds and conditions are examples of things to practice out away from things to hit.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:28   #38
F10

Boat: S&S 34

Here is a good reference for single handing (see chapter 6):
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf

I would definitely go out with someone until you have the hang of docking and undocking. I single my S&S34, but even after many years of doing so, always a little nervous about hitting someone else's boat when docking/undocking. The main problem is wind on the bow. Think about it, boats in the 30 foot range with as little as 10 lbs pushing on the bow can push the bow away (that is why some folks have bow thrusters on larger boats). Now that force can easily come from a light wind. Once the bow is pushed away from the position you want it to be, it is difficult and sometime impossible to get it back where you want it when you are back at the helm and at the engine controls, this is where your friend will help.

With my boat, until I get a couple knots of speed, backing up is a crap shoot. Sometimes she goes where I want to go, and other times where she wants to go. If I hit reverse while the boat is stopped, she will do a 360 in place. To get off the dock, I use a long line tied to the bow and stern and walk her out like a wild horse, once I get a little speed up I hop on and hit the throttle to continue reversing out. Coming in I use the same lines to control and tie her off if the wind is pushing her off the dock. I am now in a bow into the wind slip, but was in a stern into the wind slip and with strong winds, nearly impossible to get the boat out while single handing as by the time I stepped on the boat, the boats speed was stopped.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:41   #39

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I would add this: Forget about backing into your home dock, go in forward.

If you have to make a 90 degree turn into your dock, then (if you can) select your home dock with care, especially bearing in mind the direction of your prop walk in reverse. You need it to help you make the turn - not to fight against it. Also when coming out of your dock in reverse, remember when turning in tight spaces, sometimes the easiest way to turn through 90 degrees is to turn the other way, through 270 degrees.

Get to know your prop walk in reverse and work with it, not against it.

On my boat, I have wheel steering, a 90 degree turn out of the dock, and very little space - just over 1 boat length. When turning in reverse, I just turn the rudder the way I want to go, & leave it there. I steer forward & back with the prop walk, using short bursts of throttle which turn the boat without gathering momentum. I can turn the boat almost within her own length.

Remember the impact of wind and tide. Stay cool - dont shout at the crew, don't panic...

Dont let anyone risk getting hurt.

If (when) you have screwed up, probably best to get out of there and start again rather than trying to carry on from a bad position...

(Obviously it took me a while to find all this out......)

Hope that helps - & dont worry about the odd ding. Stuff happens.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 14:23   #40

Boat: Creekmore 36

When you leave the slip, leave your lines in such a way that you can retrieve them quickly and easily when you return and remember "dead slow".
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 15:19   #41

Loving this thread. Read every word at least three times. Buying and living aboard a jeanneau in Cardiff Bay. I've only ever been ballast under sail but booked competent crew course in Croatia next month and got lots of saily pals. My only other boat was a 4m rib. Talk about in at the deep end lol. Lucky in Cardiff Bay there are some pay and display berths for the bars and restaurants that are always empty in the day I'm going to pay (in beer) several mates with roving fenders (learnt that on the internet) to hover along the slip while I practice and practice and practise. Good luck to you. I will post pics of my dings.
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 15:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Loving this thread. Read every word at least three times. Buying and living aboard a jeanneau in Cardiff Bay. I've only ever been ballast under sail but booked competent crew course in Croatia next month and got lots of saily pals. My only other boat was a 4m rib. Talk about in at the deep end lol. Lucky in Cardiff Bay there are some pay and display berths for the bars and restaurants that are always empty in the day I'm going to pay (in beer) several mates with roving fenders (learnt that on the internet) to hover along the slip while I practice and practice and practise. Good luck to you. I will post pics of my dings.

Oops typo jeanneau sun oddessey 42.2 [emoji23]
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 15:24   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The "UNCIVILIZED" method is what we use, too.

However, for learning, put out fenders on both sides of your boat, for leaving and for returning to the slip. Most people who have a home base marina tend to leave their dock lines there, but you need to carry dock lines for the event of not returning there. So, fenders, AND spring line(s). The large loop is to make it easy to drop over the cleat closest to the fairway.

What will happen is that you are able to control the "brakes", and stop the boat where you want it. With the tiller centered, and the engine in fwd, dead slow, the spring line holds you parallel to the dock, and you can step off and secure the rest of the dock lines, then return and turn off the engine. By the way, before you enter the area of the marina, on your way back, in is the time to drift, or slowly motor in circles away from everything, while you set up the dock lines so that (a) they will lead fair, and (b) have the tails where they will be easy for you to reach when you step off. There are other threads about how to set up dual springs and tieing up boats in the archives, maybe do a CF Google Custom Search on that subject.

Although SailorChic34 recommended a downwind slip, personally, I'd prefer up wind and up current, I think it's easier to control. Crosswind will require you to come in somewhat faster, to not be blown off, and that's why everyone has been saying to practice on a no wind, calm day till you get the hang of what's easy for your boat to do. What SC said about the wind steering the bow is right, it will blow down. More so with a furler on it because of the windage. Always check what the wind and currents are trying to do to the boat before docking [is it setting you on or off?].

Congrats on your new boat. Enjoy.

Ann
Old 14-03-2017, 15:38   #44

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

As I was taught, 2 rules.
No fast moves. Keep it slow, and if things go bad, don't use power to get out of it. A slow collision is better than a fast one.
Spring is king. Once you've got that spring on, everything gets easy.
Oh, and the 6 Ps. Drift around somewhere safe while you get your lines and fenders just right. Then go.
Congrats on the new boat. Lovely!
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:18   #45

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Maybe I'm repeating someone else, but always get the center cleat FIRST!! You can pivot from there.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single