Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 07:21   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: How to pull into slip singlehanded?

I use a bridle system in my home slip, particularly when single-handing. I do not think that will work for a Westsail with your prominent bowsprit and a guy that runs to the waterline forward. Don't know what your dock looks like, but mine faces a nasty seawall that eats fiberglass for lunch. I depend on either a spring or stern line solidly on the stern cleat before pulling forward. If I miss tying-off aft, I have about 5 foot of stopping room to bail-out and try again. Nerve raking, but at least I have pre-decided on my go/no-go decision early - like whether to go through a yellow light.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:24   #17
cruiser

Here is a nice video tutorial. ��

https://youtu.be/8alNxLjCBJcd
https://youtu.be/8alNxLjCBJcd
MNGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:25   #18

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I think most people are too timid about docking. You have to have enough speed to control the boat. Put out fenders if you are worried about hitting the dock - string them horizontal along the dock edge and then don't worry anymore about nicking your hull. Take damage to your hull out of the equation by doing that.

If you go too slow, you will lose control. Don't crash the dock, but use some speed and reverse to stop the boat. Most docking problems are from too slow, not too fast - but I'm not talking about faster than it takes to maintain control.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:39   #19

Boat: J/88

Uncivilized technique works great for us. I simply run the stern line outside the lifelines with a fair amount of slack then loop the mid-cockpit winch. As described, I loop the cleat as we come to a stop then take up the slack and put her in forward slow which then allows me to set our depth with the line in my hand. You will likely need to also set the rudder to allow her to lay along side quietly then finish the line into the self tailer which allows you to let go and go set your other lines.
We are moving marinas this year and have a (twin) slip putting us on the leeward side of the pen and toward the windward end of the fairway so I believe I will back in for the most part. All of this may require some modification but I think it should work fine...time will tell!

The most important element, in my opinion, to getting consistently good is the appraisal of the wind and what it will do to your bow as you approach and tie. You must learn that you can steer the stern if you are moving but the bow will inevitably blow down wind and your plan should allow for that tendency to make the job easier.
Dan
Old 14-03-2017, 07:55   #20

Good stuff here.

Single Handing 101.2 HOPPING OFF THE BOAT IS UNNECESSARY
single handing

You didn't say what kind of dock your have or whether it's cleats or bull rails. BIG differences.

Just to hammer home the point:

Practice, practice, practice.

Great idea about the 3-4 hours. And the steak dinner!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:42   #21

Practice in open water first. Start on a windless day. While in forward motion, notice what speed you are going and cut the engine. Notice how far the boat drifts on its own. This is your window to get it into the slip. Start practicing turning maybe to come into a mooring ball so you get the technique with drift and speed down.
Now practice in variable conditions, light breeze, light current, Heavy wind, heavy currents, variable wind and current directions, etc. After a day you should have it down and be able to come into your slip in style.
reisserar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:42   #22

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'

I own a 46' trimaran. Thrust is from the main hull so I have to maneuver a boat that is 26' wide using only one motor in the center. But that's not the hard part. Directly across from my slip, less than 35', the depth rises to just two feet at high tide, dry at low tide. At high tide my ama's barely clear the reef. The reef there is razor sharp. To leave my slip I have to begin a 90 degree turn once the boat is halfway out. When the wind picks up this can be really tricky.

Upon return I go 3/4 of a boat length past my slip then reverse in. Weirdly, when I do this the rudder behaves opposite that of a monohull. So when I want to stern to go to the right in reverse, I turn the wheel hard left. I do series of forward/ reverse motions until she's mostly lined up then I power in sternways.

For me, I prefer no help. That just gets confusing and the chatter distracts me.

Overall, it works. Because of that reef and some crazy currents, I am in one of the tightest slips in the world. On some days the current runs 5-6 knots through the marina. The result of an unfinished project as the Army Core failed to complete the jetty. During those days it takes full power to leave my slip so I just don't go out when the current is running that high.

So if I can do it with a trimaran, I think anyone can with the average slip and sailing monohull.

Here's my $.02:

1) Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. Anticipate the wind and current to calculate your drift. Never underestimate that portion of the equation. The wind and/ or current will do far more to your boat that your engine and rudder every will. So use the wind to your advantage by anticipating where you need to be before you begin your turns.

2) Expect to be nervous in the beginning. As you get use to it, your confidence will build.
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:44   #23

Boat: KP 46

Lots of advice here, you really don't need all the extraneous gear, just two things; practice and a spring line.

Couple of things a number of people overlook: Look at your boat in the slip, notice how much room you have on either side. Now the side you are going to lay against is the only side you need to look at when docking. As long as you stay a certain distance from that side, you are going to clear the other side, so don't waste time wondering if you will clear the other side. you will as long as you stay close to the side you are laying alongside.

Second, stand by the tiller or wheel while tied up and notice where two things align on the side you are going to lay up to. Say a shroud and a cleat, life line stanchion and a post, any two things, (boat and dock) that are aligned or close together. Now when you are coming into your slip, simply aim to stop the boat just before those two things are aligned, now you do not have to worry about your bow or how far you are into your slip because you have an indicator.

When I first started docking and maneuvering ships, a wise mentor told me 4 rules to remember:

1. Slowly
2. Slowly
3. Slowly
4. Never get anything started you can't stop.

They have stood me well.

Good luck, practice and a spring line are all you need,

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:54   #24

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Hope I'm not duplicating anything already said, and all these comments seem helpful, and do take in the Youtube vid's, I'm a fan of those.
SO, my $0.02 is that the difference between prop in forward vs. reverse, BIG difference, is the prop in forward gear is pushing water across the rudder and the stern reacts accordingly, responsively. But the prop in reverse is pulling water from a wider angle, and the rudder only gets "a bite" in the water as the reverse hull speed climbs a bit, at least a KT, or more.
But during those few seconds, as you engage reverse, but hull is not yet moving in reverse, the described prop walk is pulling your stern to port and bow opposite (in majority of cases). That's why any extra feet you can get are useful, to have the hull moving steadily, but not careening, so you have steerage with the rudder.
And yes, you'll find yourself comfortable after the amount of practice recommended by others. Just, as with most unfamiliar things, proceed with caution and prudence, pick a calm day at first, then you'll be ready for practice on a breezy day in time.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:01   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

All good recommendations. I would add that you absolutely must master the art of timed injections of momentum. Always come into a slip with the right amount of momentum. If the wind and tide are calm, drift on in. But remember, you must have some speed ( 1 -2 mph) to have any rudder control. So you need to drift in with enough speed to control the boat.

Don't try docking by "smashing" against anything! Always have the fenders out. If you have one of those slips with lots of poles to hit along the way, mount fenders sideways on them BEFORE you leave, so you will have something to cushion any "oops" moments. Mounting a good sized fender on the end of the slip isn't such a bad idea either.

I once sailed a Morgan 32 which had such outrageous prop walk that it was almost unmaneuverable... and I found that the rudder center indicator on the wheel was wrong. I later found out that a totally incorrect prop had been installed, and things were way out of alignment. The first couple of times out with that dog were not exactly fun. The advice to experiment on a calm day with backing up, turning, etc is just brilliant. Using some floating stuff is great, but be sure you take fishing net taped to your whisker pole so you can retrieve the stuff when you are done.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:09   #26

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Agree with everything said prior and highlight this one thought. Go slow! Speed doesn't help. Also, the best resource I have found for docking, especially shorthanded is Stress Free Sailing. Practice the techniques in open water. Use the videos. This book is worth the money. In the book there are links to videos some of which only work through the link in the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Stress-free-S.../dp/1472907434
Old 14-03-2017, 09:09   #27

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

Great boat. Congratulations. Slow is pro because you can always give it more throttle. Wind and tide key factors. Have to pay attention to what the tide and wind do to the boat and give it more throttle if they are moving you. Great points about practicing and figuring out your boat in reverse and forward.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:56   #28

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

The worst part of Boating in my opinion is docking and undocking...especially docking....(coming in) Cross winds, currents, tight neighbors.. all leads to a lot of tension and swearwords.... at least inside your head. BEST THING IS TO LOOK AROUND FOR PROBLEMS BEFORE THE ATTEMPT AND DEVELOP A PLAN... Also slow as possible without losing steerage.... be ready for a hard reverse if necessary. Better to be a good way out from your turn into the dock before you make the turn.... Also if there is someone there to grab a line...life gets so much easier if you are alone... once you get a line on... tension goes way down... 2 lines... (fore and aft) then you can semi relax...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:14   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Have a spring line made up and remember you are not steering the bow it's the stern. Hang some fenders off. Good luck and keep current and wind in mind. Start with a slack tide on a calm day. It is technique.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:20   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

How do you dock singlehanded.... handsomely ideally. Though for your first 40ish dockings, not hitting another boat will be good enough.

Myself I have the boat going about 2.5 MPH about 4 slips from the one I'm entering. At that point I shift into neutral and let the boats mass continue. Be to the opposite side of center in the fairway. This gives you more time to line the boat up as it glides into the slip. Watch the wind and currents and remember that you control the stern but the wind controls the bow.

You will want ideally a downwind finger slip if no center finger between boats. That is winds push to the finger and not away into the boat adjacent. If the winds are blowing strongly wait till they are calm to practice.

I've also learned to steer from the front of the wheel, at all times as this saves a second or two.

When entering the slip you'll want about a 1MPH way on. I actually aim for the inside corner at first and then straighten so the boat is mostly straight then use reverse and prop walk to pull the stern close to the finger. Be sure to have a boat hook handy to grab onto a cleat if your too far away. If you flub it and you will, back out quickly, (you need speed in reverse to get rudder control. Remember that the wind controls the bow.

I generally keep a tiny bit of way on so the boat does not drift. then girl handle it to a stop, once I smartly step to the dock with just a foot of space between the boat and dock. (Ideally).
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single