Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 10:46   #16

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: How stupid are some people?

The big boat gensets running 24/7 always kept us as far away as possible. And the jet skis from the "garage" in the stern. We truly hated to see them come in an anchorage. However, there are actually some very nice people in some of them. And some of them have their gensets exhaust underwater so they are much quieter. That helps. But you never know until you have been there a while.

Of course, it's stupid to anchor right next to a big boat and the chain scope they will have out.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:48   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

Ban super yachts from small anchorages??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:04   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Can't be a raftup; neither vessel has the jolly roger or the cocktail flag up. Not a plastic parrot in sight. Can the OP confirm that Jimmy Buffett music wasn't playing?
Does that imply you are not a Jimmy Buffet fan?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:34   #19

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Does that imply you are not a Jimmy Buffet fan?
sounds like it does. too bad.

not sure why there is the animosity towards his or that type of sailor. you see the same in the motorcycle world, where one 'biker' will hate another because the brand motorcycle he rides. big bad harley riders always narc on anyone riding anything else, until the guy with the tool kit and the know how who is saving their bacon on the roadside happens to be riding on a honda chopper he built himself. (i know because i've been the guy on the honda chopper to rescue harleys and even a triumph.)

some people love to rip at those with pirate flags or that like jimmy buffet but, if the day comes that one of these people you hate comes to your aid, won't you feel stupid?

different strokes for different folks. you can't judge a book by it's cover. can't we all just get along? live and let live. and a bunch of other cliches.

seriously, though, why is it that people need to be so judgmental? it's always :guys with pirate flags or guys that listen to jimmy buffet are idiots that make the rest of [the sailing snobs] look bad. but, i don't notice any sign that the transgressing boat in the picture belongs to the pirate flag/jimmy buffet set. going by looks, it could be one of the rest of[ the sailing snobs].
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK having been motorcyclist all my life, way back when being a Biker meant you were a dirty, sometimes mentally ill bum at best I understand the stereo type.
However some don't particularly like the whole Jimmy Buffet "Pirate" thing anymore than the real bikers like these Weekend Bikers that are CPA's and Dentists during the week, but want to act like Billy Badass on the weekend. I am not, nor have ever been nor ever will be a "Biker", nor will I pretend I am.
Pirates were not and are not someone to idealize and look up to, to pretend you are, they were Murderers, and Thieves at best.

Seems the whole Jimmy Buffet and Pirate thing is often an excuse to be a drunk, I guess if your a Parrot Head, being drunk is OK?

OK a little strong as of course not all are like that, but if I see the Pirate flag or hear loud Jimmy Buffet music, I up anchor and move, but then I do the same if I see the Rebel flag and hear Lynryd Skynyrd too
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK having been motorcyclist all my life, way back when being a Biker meant you were a dirty, sometimes mentally ill bum at best I understand the stereo type.
However some don't particularly like the whole Jimmy Buffet "Pirate" thing anymore than the real bikers like these Weekend Bikers that are CPA's and Dentists during the week, but want to act like Billy Badass on the weekend. I am not, nor have ever been nor ever will be a "Biker", nor will I pretend I am.
Pirates were not and are not someone to idealize and look up to, to pretend you are, they were Murderers, and Thieves at best.

Seems the whole Jimmy Buffet and Pirate thing is often an excuse to be a drunk, I guess if your a Parrot Head, being drunk is OK?

OK a little strong as of course not all are like that, but if I see the Pirate flag or hear loud Jimmy Buffet music, I up anchor and move, but then I do the same if I see the Rebel flag and hear Lynryd Skynyrd too
Ok I got to ask, I have been a motorcycle guy all my life & I get the biker thing,wouldn't really call myself a biker even though I have had a bike all my life...I have had sport bikes, a bmw & a harley-davidson, & really notice the difference the way people who wave,its funny,I am the same guy no matter if I got the Harley or the beamer...that's just the way Stereotypes are,, but my question is this why are you guys down on the buffet music? Is it because those guys are usually the newbies doing stupid stuff?.... I am not going to play my buffet albums now!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:47   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Many years ago when a German yacht anchored alongside very close by off an island in North Biscay, I gave them a full volume broadcast of BrendaLee on our cockpit speakers. Turned out they were fans too and came and invited us over for a drink.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
but my question is this why are you guys down on the buffet music?
Well, I gotta have somebody to disdain, and for my validation, there has to be a large number of others who are already deriding those people. Pirate flags and Jimmy Buffet music are easily identified targets and well-known to be scoffed at by the 'cool' group with whom I so dearly want to be associated.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

wow. you really are way too serious.

in reality, there is little difference between privateers and pirates. one was recognized by a recognized government and one was not. sure pirates were brutal. but, so was everyone back then, including those recognized governments. you can't honestly go throwing about blanket moral judgments on something that happened so long ago without letting go of your modern viewpoint and looking through the eyes of the past.

that said, i don't think anyone flying the jolly roger is in support of piracy (old or modern) or is claiming to be a pirate. i believe it's all in the name of a little thing called fun. you should give it a try sometime. you might like it.

your biker comments make no cohesive sense. i have been riding all my life. my dad rode before me. i'll admit, most real bikers aren't exactly polished with bright clean shiny leathers and jeans. that's because actually riding a motorcycle (instead of trailering it from your garage to a distant event) makes your clothes get dirty. road grit. chain lube. grease. bugs. etc.

but, to insinuate being a biker meant you were mentally ill! and then turn around and make that statement as if 'real bikers' not liking the yuppie riders because they are fake has anything to do with my comparison to brand animosity n the motorcycle world! i don't know who you actually mean are 'real bikers'. you start saying 'real bikers' are basically dirty mentally ill trash. then, you make them sound like noble originals who don't like the fakes coming in.

real biker= someone who lives and breathes to ride, knows the basics of motorcycle maintenance and can keep his ride going long enough to get home through some sort of roadside magic 95% of the time there is an issue. someone who would leave his ol lady before he'd give up riding. someone who rides, rides, and then rides some more. (riding might be the central idea here.)

not all real bikers look the stereotype role. most used to on some level. i always did (not sure i even want to be called a biker anymore seeing what passes for one these days). a huge percent of those that do....the 'real bikers' you talk about in that second statement, love skulls and jolly rogers and stuff. the motorcycle culture is full of that stuff and has been well before the yuppies came along.

real bikers have a lot more in common with the guys sailing and listening to jimmy buffet than they do with the stuffed shirt sailors. and real bikers always love lynard skynard. never known anyone who didn't at least like skynard. or steppenwolf for that matter. or beer, wine, whiskey....

real bikers used to do poker runs from bar to bar. the modern 'bikers' are the ones that do them from starbucks to starbucks. but, real bikers would tie their bags on their sissybars and ride cross country, too. yuppies pack their harleys in the backs of trailers to go to events cross country.

and, to be honest, it's the yuppies you usually see riding all the brand new harleys with the harley this and the harley that; not the actual bikers [most 'real' bikers can't afford the outrageous prices now that the yuppies have taken over]. they [the yuppie wannabes]are the ones that narc on other riders for brand the most. back in the day, when i was a kid, people on harleys got along with people on hondas or bmws or whatever. never had a problem even through my early riding years. people had their loyalties but, we all had that bond of riding that united us. if you saw someone on a bike broke down, you stopped and lent a hand. that all changed when the yuppies started riding.

the harley rider hates honda rider hates bmw guy thing goes hand in hand with the advent of the yuppie wannabe riders. so, you obviously totally missed the point of the example.

the point is that you have a group united by one thing (motorcycles, sailing, whatever); why the division and animosity over the different people and ways of enjoying that thing?

one other point. i never drink while sailing. ever. (pirates didn't tolerate drunkenness aboard, either, by the way) but, is there something really wrong with drinking , camaraderie, and celebration once you are safely arrived? (if you think so, i think you have a lot in common with the first villain in Beowulf).

hell, i always thought old time sailors (back when sailors were real sailors) were famous for their partying at port! [ remember terms like : drink like a sailor or cuss like a sailor?] when did it change to where you had to be a puritan to be a 'real' sailor? heck, i thought you just had to sail.
Old 10-08-2016, 13:12   #25

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Well, I gotta have somebody to disdain, and for my validation, there has to be a large number of others who are already deriding those people. Pirate flags and Jimmy Buffet music are easily identified targets and well-known to be scoffed at by the 'cool' group with whom I so dearly want to be associated.
Well, my cool group likes him. Pirate flags, depending upon our location, not so much.
Old 10-08-2016, 13:15   #26

Quote:
Ok I got to ask, I have been a motorcycle guy all my life & I get the biker thing,wouldn't really call myself a biker even though I have had a bike all my life...I have had sport bikes, a bmw & a harley-davidson, & really notice the difference the way people who wave,its funny,I am the same guy no matter if I got the Harley or the beamer...that's just the way Stereotypes are,, but my question is this why are you guys down on the buffet music? Is it because those guys are usually the newbies doing stupid stuff?.... I am not going to play my buffet albums now!

never allow others to define you
Old 10-08-2016, 13:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Many years ago when a German yacht anchored alongside very close by off an island in North Biscay, I gave them a full volume broadcast of BrendaLee on our cockpit speakers. Turned out they were fans too and came and invited us over for a drink.
well, they were Germans. Germans and 'beer' is like bacon and eggs or rum and coke or....

plus, we are so much more moral, now. you can tell by the way they, now, censor classic rock songs on the radio.
Old 10-08-2016, 13:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
said with eloquence and pith. best post i have ever seen on the subject.
Old 10-08-2016, 13:19   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

I would say that yes, it is a fair observation to think at least I think of the Parrot Heads as loud, obnoxious types that have zero respect for others, I mean they are just having a good time right? That is always the answer when at 2 AM you ask if they would mind toning it down a little so you could sleep.
Do they still call themselves Parrot Heads or was that so 90's ?
Marina where I am at now, it's the power boaters, specifically on dock number 2 that play that crap and hoot and holler and just get drunk every weekend, but the boats never move, probably a good thing.
Got a new guy on my dock, dock 3 where it seems they put most of the live aboards, although I am not. Anyway this guy quickly lets us know he is on the waiting list for dock 2, cause you know everybody wants to be on dock 2 right? He is very good at leaving his Platinum Ford 150 in the loading/ unloading area all weekend as its closest to the gate of course, and if you looking for the wagon that usually stays at the gate that everyone uses to unload groceries etc., guess where it is? At his boat. If he is outside, naturally he has the cockpit speakers playing loud, so he can hear his music, everyone gets to hear it, but he is just having a good time, so that's fine, right?
One day I'm going to jail cause at 2 AM I turned a water hose on them like dogs, it's gonna happen, just a matter of time
Just kidding really.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:39   #30

It was while was away on a business trip when my S.O. and her colleagues had an impromptu party at our house to celebrate...something. A few days later my neighbor was chuckling as he related the response that he got from one of the guests when he asked them, at 2AM on a weeknight, to please quiet down so he could sleep: "Sure, so is us playing basketball or the loud music that is keeping you awake?"

I never have figured out which group to label as "loud, obnoxious types that have zero respect for others", microbiologists or suburban homeowners.

P.S. - No Buffett music was played that night.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote