Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2016, 13:50   #61

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: How stupid are some people?

Quote:
Such a waste of life energy to be a hater of anything.
I couldn't agree more!

Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 16:01   #62

Boat: Cal 29

On the biker thing, I'm very impressed with the HD Corp. That they keep sales up with so many better machines out there is amazing. Yeah yeah, I like buying 'Merican but damn, you don't have to be a lemming either. Most of the the genuine old timers are ancient like meself. It's time for a paradigm shift into the present.

Old 21-08-2016, 16:02   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
What do you do if you don't see a pirate flag or rebel flag but still hear Jimmy Buffet or Skynard?

If I hear music of any kind, I leave or don't stop.
Now I love music and consider myself an Audiophile, but I do not make it so others have to listen to it, ever.
Power boat guy was at the dock today getting ready to go fishing, so of course to them that meant playing their music loud while they loaded the boat and sat there waiting for someone, the whole time the music was blaring.
I won't do that, I will sometimes feel that I want to listen to Pink Floyd or Joe Satriani loud, but I do so when others can't hear it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2016, 16:08   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
On the biker thing, I'm very impressed with the HD Corp. That they keep sales up with so many better machines out there is amazing. Yeah yeah, I like buying 'Merican but damn, you don't have to be a lemming either. Most of the the genuine old timers are ancient like meself. It's time for a paradigm shift into the present.

Sad thing is a guy by the name of Eric Buell was building actually a decent bike, it was hampered by the engine but he was doing things to make that better. The Company forced him out which was really bad, cause that was the best chance for a truly American made performance motorcycle.

Old 21-08-2016, 16:37   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If I hear music of any kind, I leave or don't stop.
I thought maybe you'd have a freakout episode of some kind or other. I was just wondering.

So, as to the motorcycle bit of the conversation. I own and ride a Harley. Ive owned and ridden sport bikes and japanese cruisers, and honestly I like the Harley better. Buell was a neat bike if your into that style of bike. But did you buy one? Because nobody else did either. Thats why Harley closed down the Buell line. And they shut it down not long after spending all that money developing the 1125R. Really nice sport bike. But they didn't sell. Thats why Buell is no more.
But the good news is Eric Buell started a new company called EBR after leaving Buell. https://www.erikbuellracing.com
Have you bought one?
I personally don't care what you or anyone else rides. I only care what I ride. I don't ride to impress anybody but me. I ride to make me happy. And I am happy.
Same with music, guitars, cars, and sailing. I listen to what I like. I play what I like. I drive what I like. And I will sail in a way to make ME happy.
I don't care what others are doing, as long as it doesn't affect me.
Old 21-08-2016, 21:04   #66

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I used to work outlaw Bikers as a federal agent and I came up with a real easy definition for what an "Outlaw Club" was. If your motorcycle club had ever had a meeting where there was a discussion about whether to kill someone or not, and then you did it, then you are an outlaw club. If you never had that discussion, and never murdered anybody, you probably aren't, even if you like to speed, sell a few drugs, and steal stuff from time to time.

And, I too, was always perplexed at the number of people who just road motorcycles as a hobby, who would try and emulate a group of people who are essential sociopaths, meaning true outlaw bikers. As are the outlaw bikers, I discovered. They don't get it, either.

But, we did watch a bunch of older HAMC members trailer their bikes to a hotel outside off Sturgis one year, who then got on them and rode into their campground.
it's actually pretty simple. ever since hollister, movies and tv have depicted all bikers as evil gang members. so, if you aren't really a biker....if you bought yourself a dresser and you do all of 1500 miles a year and you trailer your bike to events, that kind of thing....but, you want people to believe you are the 'real' thing, then you have to look the image that everyone has been brainwashed to think is a 'real' biker.

on the other hand, if you don't know a thing about colors and 1% clubs, especially if you are a cager looking in on the scene from the perspective of an outsider, could you necessarily tell a clubber from a normal biker, without seeing the clubber do some criminal stuff?
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 21:18   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
I wanted to address 2 things you said.This first. This is wrong. Not ALL clubbers are criminals. Some ARE Dr.s lawyers, sales managers at your local ford dealer (this was the case with the president of the Mesa chapter of the Hells Angels. He was the sales manager at a large phoenix ford dealer) etc. As was explained to me, if the entire club was made up of bad asses, who would clean the club house?
going to have to disagree with you, here. you are the company you keep, in my book. if i meet you and see that you surround yourself with cut throats and rapists, i will know exactly the cut of your jib. bill may say he never inhaled but, i'm not dumb enough to believe it...know what i mean? i mean, that's not even a legal defense that will get you off scott free: 'well, your honor, i was there when he was murdered, i saw who did it, i kept it a secret and covered it up but, i'm a doctor and i didn't do the killing. i only clean up the clubhouse.'

besides which point, who says the job you do has anything to do with the kind of person you are? you think doctors and sales managers don't break the law? men of god rape little boys. certainly you don't expect automall sales managers to be holier that them
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
Old 21-08-2016, 21:22   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sad thing is a guy by the name of Eric Buell was building actually a decent bike, it was hampered by the engine but he was doing things to make that better. The Company forced him out which was really bad, cause that was the best chance for a truly American made performance motorcycle.

yep. he was behind the original fxr frames. best handling frames HD ever had. beats the heck out of the fxd that replaced it. they thought his frames looked to japanese. it's all about the image.
Old 21-08-2016, 22:27   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
In '98 when I moved to the States, it was my dream to ride across America on a Harley. As a European, I bought into the image and sales pitch. (I watched Easy rider)

Went to the HD shop and took a look. I took a ride on a few.

I bought a Honda Gold Wing. Some dreams are better remaining the dream they are.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 00:11   #70

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1970 Paceship Cruisette20, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Let's see, back on OP's topic.

And Harley's make great anchors....

Actually I had a 76 that shook like the dickens, leaked very well, ran well when paid a lot of attention to. You go fast , it gets hotttt. Go backtrack and find fallen parts.
Had a Gold wing too, purred like a kitten and could go very fast very quickly without constant wrenching.
B4 the he I had a 500 Kawasaki triple that went like a scalded cat.three rear tires in 6k miles,lol.
There's a big difference between riding bikes and aiming them. IMHO.
And I put turpentine on a cats ass and it passed the motorcycle ! Just kidding
Old 22-08-2016, 06:36   #71

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Let's see, back on OP's topic.

And Harley's make great anchors....
As the OP, I can only say that I agree 100%
Old 22-08-2016, 07:57   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post

on the other hand, if you don't know a thing about colors and 1% clubs, especially if you are a cager looking in on the scene from the perspective of an outsider, could you necessarily tell a clubber from a normal biker, without seeing the clubber do some criminal stuff?
When I was working biker gangs, the HAMC specifically, my wife and I were in a supermarket one day and saw two obviously gay guys dressed in black leather biker garb, looking like Village People. My wife, who knew that I was working on a motorcycle gang, whispered to me, "Are those some of the people you are investigating?"

I agree. Most people can't tell.
Old 22-08-2016, 08:14   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

First time i ever broke 100 mph on two wheels it was on a Kawasaki 500, a friends, I was 14 I think.
Yes, those things handled horribly, you did in fact aim them
Guy named Paul Gast I think use to drag race the 750's, shop was named Fast by Gast.
Only time I had seen Nitrous on a two stroke.

Eric Buell I think was one of the few that actually raced a TZ-750, an awesomely powerful thing.
Old 22-08-2016, 08:25   #74

Boat: Cal 29

It's that old time Harley growl out those straight pipes that makes you a man or manlike.

You're doing it yer way b'God becuz it pleases you. Screw everone else. And the sewing machines they rode in on!

Sheeeeit. Hand me a beer. A real, pale, horsepissy 'merican beer, not that meal-in-a-bottle crafty stuff. I stay lean, mean, and not all that clean. And that's the way I like it. Hell yes i like it. I smell like grease, sweat and stale beer like real men --no metrosexuals aloud!-- shud.

I'm an original, a genuine throwback to the cowboy days. Better my sis on the street than my bro on a Kawasuckingsaki!

Jes saying.
Old 22-08-2016, 08:39   #75

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Does that imply you are not a Jimmy Buffet fan?
Isn't his name spelled with two "t"s?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: