Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 17:30   #46

Boat: Hartley Southseas 38'
Re: How stupid are some people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Hey I'm a big fan of Warren Buffet. I like his most famous song, "Ballad of Berkshire and Hathaway."

S/V B'Shert
I, myself, am a particular fan of his wonderful invention, the Buffet Breakfast.
Stevie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:58   #47

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
I, myself, am a particular fan of his wonderful invention, the Buffet Breakfast.
Buffet breakfest suits me too. I couldnt afford a cut of "Ballad of Berkshire Hathaway "
Old 10-08-2016, 18:05   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If you are going cruising you had better get accustomed to watching people anchoring on-top of you...it's just part of the being a cruiser. Now what makes a successful cruiser is learning how to deal with this without being an Az$ or getting frustrated. But it happens in anchorages all around the world. The advantage of having a 6ft freeboard and an 8ft bowsprit is that we scare the heck out of the smaller boats, so they tend to stay far away from us...or maybe it is the bent stanchion and rigging we hang from the bowsprit while at anchor...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:11   #49

Boat: Hartley Southseas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Buffet breakfest suits me too. I couldnt afford a cut of "Ballad of Berkshire Hathaway "
Geeze....
How many types of vehicle do we have in this thread now?
Yachts, "Super Yachts", bikes and now, Investment vehicles.
What do you ride Bro? "I ride a Berkshire Hathaway, buddy"
/ puts on sowester, jumps on boat and sails off into sunset, giggling manically...
Stevie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 23:41   #50

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

i'm getting a headache listening to JB, loud or not.
guess it reminds me to much of my last hangover.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:10   #51

Oh....what were we talking about? Yes, I think anchoring that close is pretty idiotic

By the way- JB is now a tee totaler

Cheers,

John
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:15   #52

Boat: Catalina 400

Orbital gravity.

Super-yacht is the planet Saturn.
Sloop was just sailing by and got trapped in orbit, like the moon Titan...
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:17   #53

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Well first wind, I gotta admit, you really do understand the Biker thing....
1Anyway usually down South here the group that us performance motorcyclist had the most trouble with were the Outlaws, and yes I can tell you a lot of them were to put it mildly deviants... but with the Outlaws in the late 70's and early 80's it was more than one percent, there were initiations for the Women that were not normal and other things.

2But what I cannot fathom is why in the world would a successful CPA or Dentist want to try to act as if he were like that?

3I don't know what it is in now, I am astonished that Harley's are still popular.

4I guess sailing is the same, but I'm so new I don't know? Actually I don't think sailing is "in" is it? I feel sure I don't look the part as just the other day I had someone walk up and ask me if I knew who owned my boat I was working on something and did not I'm sure look like a "yacht" owner.

nice post. good background and a great explanation as to where you are coming from. i like that. discussion not angry diatribe!

i see a few points to answer, here. i rearranged the last two for content continuity. the first three aren't directly on subject, as i am sure we'll get told, but i think they have bearing on this side issue. and i think this side issue (division amongst the ranks) is a serious one in the sailing community. even when it doesn't spin into side debates, you see it in digs and insults through many threads. maybe understanding and reason can help that. so, let's try.

point 1. i see that point. here it's the pgans. you would see them at events and they would let you alone as long as you were respectful and let them alone but, they were always a lurking menace. during my days working at a bike shop i got to interact with some. never understood why they all scowled all the time. they looked so unhappy. riding always puts a smile on my face....which explains the gnats between my teeth (all except one. he was really cool. smiled. joked. didn't know e was one of them until years later. always thought he was a member of the tradesmen (an AMA sanctioned club)because he was always hanging with them. anyhow..

the outlaws, pagans, hells angels, etc are all 1%ers. 1%er was a term that the angels took up, and it spread, from something the american motorcycle association had said. that statement being: violent gang members make up only 1% of the motorcycle community, just like criminals make up a small percent of the general community. the vast majority of motorcycle riders are decent hard working, law abiding people.

it was a very true statement. i response, the angels, and then all the other clubbers (1%er, clubber both mean the same thing. they are gang members. they just don't call themselves that because gangs are illegal), took to wearing a patch of a 1%.

all clubbers are bad guys. they are all criminals. 100%. but, not all bikers are clubbers. that's where the 1% thing comes in. however, unless you look for the scowls or the colors on their vests, it's hard to tell a clubber from any other biker. what's worse is that loads of people wear various types of club sort of insignia on their vests. that's further confused by the fact that there are AMA (american motorcycle association) sanctioned clubs. they are not criminals or 1%ers. they just like the club idea without the attendant BS.

when i was a kid, i didn't fully understand what clubs really were. i always thought it would be great to have your own club; a group of guys that rode together, hung out together, had each others backs. then, i got older and saw the truth. the AMA sanctioned clubbers did the same but, they formed their clubs and don't do the bad crap. why didn't i? because the AMA clubs still have to deal with the clubber political bs. they have to make truces and get permission to ride in 1% clubbers' turfs. screw that bs! i ride to be free. all of America is my turf. why would i limit myself? oddly enough, the pagans had wanted to prospect me, as had the strong arms. i respectfully declined both.

anyhow, your take on bikers being dirty and mental is caused from the same view as the general public. you see a bunch of guys that all look the same way and you assume they are the same. and, without understanding what the deal really is you make a judgment.

if you look at all the anti-pirate flag/jimmy buffet posts, you will see a similar basis.

you can't accurately judge a book by it's cover. there are bad people in every group. we all curse stinkpotters. i do to. and it's because we have all had bad experiences with some of them. hell, i have almost been run down by three of them in the last two years! but, there are a lot of decent folks on powerboats, too. a lot more than the bad, really. it's just that the bad stick out. i, personally, have seen or been the recipient of powerboater goodwill towards other people on the water and have met a lot of good guys going out fishing under power. but, we still curse powerboaters as if they all are bad....and they do the same with us! and for the same reasons.

a person has to resist the urge to make kneejerk judgments based on appearance. that leads to the same type of stupidity as racism (which is basically the same thing). all people are different. you have to give a person a bit of rope. they will either tie it into a bowline to hitch to your dock or a noose to hang themselves with.

point 2. why yuppies want to project that image. not as relevant to sailing but a really good point. as noted, there are 1%ers and there are bikers. the yuppies aren't really trying to look like criminals...although some do go out and start up AMA sanctioned clubs or wear club like patches (as long as the patch doesn't actually have all the components of colors they aren't really colors and, as long as you don't use real clubbers images on them, won't get your butt kicked by clubbers....although your attitude might).

some people might take offense at this but, it's the truth. the yuppies were formally hippies who supposedly stood for something. after they were done partying ad fornicating their way across the country they came back to a country with a lot of opportunities. many came from money originally, anyway. they took these opportunities and, for the most part, did very well. twenty years later they looked at themselves and found they had become everything they had claimed to hate (plus some). so, they went out in search of something 'real' to pretend to be. some of them took up the biker image. you don't get more real, gritty, or anti-establishment than that. some started listening to country music (which they, then, ruined...like they did the biker scene) and pretended to be tough, hardworking average American 'rednecks'.

that's what it comes down to. plain and simple.

[hell, a lot of them are actually scared of motorcycles so they buy trikes. there has been a huge swell in the number of trikers over the last decade. i don't even bother to wave back at those guys. you can tell them from the crippled bikers who ride trikes and sidecars because they can't ride on two wheels anymore by the big mass produced blockish high dollar trikes they ride. if you want the image and you don't even have the cajones to brave two wheels, i got nothing to say to you.]

point 3. real quick as it has nothing to do with sailing. HD has been really advertising their 'cool' image towards younger people and adjusting it as they go. they have made a number of different looking bike lines, lately (notice i said different looking), and are really pushing towards younger people. will it save them when all the yuppies get too old to ride or die off? who knows. god forbid they do what other brands do and try to offer new, better machines every year. they are apparently going to ride the image train til it runs off the track. it's what saved them from oblivion.

point4. yes. that's the same thing that happens with sailing. i listen to jimmy buffet. love his music. i also love sea chanties and that song by the little river band and...and, being also a biker, you may .no. strike that. you will see skull and jolly roger images in my near vicinity. i like a bit of rum as i relax, smoking my pipe, from time to time. and people may look at me and say 'oh my god! stay away from that pirate looking jimmy buffet listening butthole.'

but, the truth is, i'm very serious about my sailing. i follow the rules of the road. i practice good seamanship to the very best of my ability. i am always eager to listen and learn what i don't know. i am polite and respectful of my neighbors [including shoveling the snow off of the dock for the older lady who lives aboard the cal 2-27 in the winter and donating lines and fenders to poorly attended sailboats whose owners live far away] and i help others out all the time. i am friendly and jovial and most people enjoy talking to me. everyone at the marina knows me and enjoys conversing with me (albeit many like to talk about boat issues they are having and what to do about them) and i have never been cursed as a butthole.

but, if anyone is soooo wise that they can judge a book by it's cover and want nothing to do with me because of said flawed wisdom....eh their loss.

that's my point.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:26   #54

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
What is funny about all this is Jimmy is what many would call a true sailor. One of his first tasks on any sailboat he has owned is to pull the nasty, smokin diesel out and pitch it. He can sail right up to the dock and step off.

As to his music, yea, I know most of the words to the older stuff, not the newer stuff. Even the bear that stole the still, most don't even know what song that is.. Do I play it loud and offensively, nope, I try to be respectful of others.

Most people that do play their music too loud and offend me are playing Rap. WTF? But I understand a lot of Jimmy's fans do the same. I've never figured out why people think because they like it everyone else wants to hear it. Hell no, they don't! Turn that **** down be it Buffett or Rap or country.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:08   #55

Quote:

Anyway usually down South here the group that us performance motorcyclist had the most trouble with were the Outlaws, and yes I can tell you a lot of them were to put it mildly deviants, and anyone the made money by having their ( insert female dog name here) provide favors for other men, while they made money by thieving and manufacture and sale of illegal drugs and were not above murder as mentally ill. Was that all of them, or course not as we used to say in the motorcycle world it's the one percent that gives the bad name, but with the Outlaws in the late 70's and early 80's it was more than one percent, there were initiations for the Women that were not normal and other things.

But what I cannot fathom is why in the world would a successful CPA or Dentist want to try to act as if he were like that? I'll tell you why, cause he has no idea what they were like, just its popular now to ride a "Hog" or at least trailer it down to Daytona in the matching trailer behind the Suburban. In the 70's and early 80's you would see hordes of bikes being ridden down I-95 on the way to Daytona for bike week, now it's hordes of Suburbans pulling custom trailers painted to match, stop at any Hilton on the way down, the parking lot will be filled with them, go in the bar and meet all the "Bikers" in their new leathers all with chains on their wallets.
I used to work outlaw Bikers as a federal agent and I came up with a real easy definition for what an "Outlaw Club" was. If your motorcycle club had ever had a meeting where there was a discussion about whether to kill someone or not, and then you did it, then you are an outlaw club. If you never had that discussion, and never murdered anybody, you probably aren't, even if you like to speed, sell a few drugs, and steal stuff from time to time.

And, I too, was always perplexed at the number of people who just road motorcycles as a hobby, who would try and emulate a group of people who are essential sociopaths, meaning true outlaw bikers. As are the outlaw bikers, I discovered. They don't get it, either.

But, we did watch a bunch of older HAMC members trailer their bikes to a hotel outside off Sturgis one year, who then got on them and rode into their campground.
Old 21-08-2016, 10:22   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I used to work outlaw Bikers as a federal agent and I came up with a real easy definition for what an "Outlaw Club" was. If your motorcycle club had ever had a meeting where there was a discussion about whether to kill someone or not, and then you did it, then you are an outlaw club. If you never had that discussion, and never murdered anybody, you probably aren't, even if you like to speed, sell a few drugs, and steal stuff from time to time.

And, I too, was always perplexed at the number of people who just road motorcycles as a hobby, who would try and emulate a group of people who are essential sociopaths, meaning true outlaw bikers. As are the outlaw bikers, I discovered. They don't get it, either.

But, we did watch a bunch of older HAMC members trailer their bikes to a hotel outside off Sturgis one year, who then got on them and rode into their campground.
There is much more business thats discussed at those meeting that makes them outlaw and criminal beside's murder. Anyone who wishes to appear to be one of these folks better be aware that they are making a statement about who and what they are. Dress and act the part, expect law enforcement to harass you and expect real 1% to run a mud check on you. If you don't know what a mud check is, I can tell already your not going to have much fun.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:10   #57

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

man oh man ,you guys fire up fast. I have seen Chinese ,Mexican ,seafood but never a Jimmy Buffet. Btw my favorite song is "Island" off Coconut Telegraph
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:37   #58

Quote:
OK having been motorcyclist all my life, way back when being a Biker meant you were a dirty, sometimes mentally ill bum at best I understand the stereo type.
However some don't particularly like the whole Jimmy Buffet "Pirate" thing anymore than the real bikers like these Weekend Bikers that are CPA's and Dentists during the week, but want to act like Billy Badass on the weekend. I am not, nor have ever been nor ever will be a "Biker", nor will I pretend I am.
Pirates were not and are not someone to idealize and look up to, to pretend you are, they were Murderers, and Thieves at best.

Seems the whole Jimmy Buffet and Pirate thing is often an excuse to be a drunk, I guess if your a Parrot Head, being drunk is OK?

OK a little strong as of course not all are like that, but if I see the Pirate flag or hear loud Jimmy Buffet music, I up anchor and move, but then I do the same if I see the Rebel flag and hear Lynyrd Skynyrd too
What do you do if you don't see a pirate flag or rebel flag but still hear Jimmy Buffet or Skynard?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:21   #59

I wanted to address 2 things you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post

all clubbers are bad guys. they are all criminals.
This first. This is wrong. Not ALL clubbers are criminals. Some ARE Dr.s lawyers, sales managers at your local ford dealer (this was the case with the president of the Mesa chapter of the Hells Angels. He was the sales manager at a large phoenix ford dealer) etc. As was explained to me, if the entire club was made up of bad asses, who would clean the club house?
The problem is, the are backed by their "brothers" who ARE criminals. So an accidental run in with one of the clubhouse cleaners will turn nasty when one of their criminal brothers gets involved to "have their back".
I thought about joining a club that a "friend" of mine was starting a local chapter of. Sure why not? Till he told me I would "prospect" Uhhhhhh. We've known each other for 8 years, you don't know me? Im not good with authority, so I told him to forget it. I wasn't being his bitch for however long that took. In my mind that put us on a different level than being friends. Now we wind up talking 2 or 3 times a year. I haven't physically seen the dude since last year. So I guess we weren't really friends after all.
Quote:

the yuppies were formally hippies who supposedly stood for something. after they were done partying ad fornicating their way across the country they came back to a country with a lot of opportunities. many came from money originally, anyway. they took these opportunities and, for the most part, did very well. twenty years later they looked at themselves and found they had become everything they had claimed to hate (plus some). so, they went out in search of something 'real' to pretend to be. some of them took up the biker image. you don't get more real, gritty, or anti-establishment than that. some started listening to country music (which they, then, ruined...like they did the biker scene) and pretended to be tough, hardworking average American 'rednecks'.

that's what it comes down to. plain and simple.

that's my point.
That is spot on.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:49   #60

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

So here it is .... My name is Glen, and I'm a ParrotHead.

I fly, I sail, I throw caution to the wind.

Now as a point of correction not all Jimmy Buffett fans are Parrotheads. Many of the real ParrotHeads are members of local sanctioned official ParrotHead clubs under PHIP (ParrotHeads In Paradise).

Local PH clubs like my Ocala ParrotHead Club are active fundraisers, environmental project and community project workers.

Oh, and we drink a bit.

When you chance to attend a Buffett concert you may be surprised the wide age demographic attending. But more important as some first timers have verbalized how polite the crowd is entering and exiting the venues.

For the record I'm old, well insured and keep my music to myself so that I can hear the voices around me.... Or the little voices in my head. ( I like the water hose idea as a nighttime silencing idea but think it might escalate the mater into something requiring self defense. )