Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 19:14   #1

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34
How Not to Enter An Inlet! Video

Someone passed this on to me, and I have no other info about it. But the very brief video is stunning in how quickly things can go to heck!

https://gfycat.com/ImperturbableSkeletalAplomadofalcon

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 19:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: How Not to Enter An Inlet! Video

IIRC, that's been previously posted and discussed here in the last year or so.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 19:45   #3

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!

Thanks StuM. I obviously missed it (maybe some other folks did too).

Do you recall any of the details that you could share or maybe offer a search hint?

Thanks,

Old 04-09-2016, 19:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Found it:

Apparently that was at Honokohau Harbour in Hawaii and the cat was a total write off.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ks-162240.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 20:13   #5

StuM, thank you for the follow-up and the rest of the story!

Old 05-09-2016, 09:33   #6

looks like the rudders (at least one of 'em) lifted out of the water. bows dug in, boat pivoted around the lee bow, at that point probably not much the could have done?
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 16:38   #7

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Same happens when you first enter a fast tidal channel with the current behind you Before the boat can pick up speed relative to the water going past the rudder It acts lke you are backing up. Steering is a bit counter intuitive until you can exhilarate or hit something sideways. Prop wash against the rudder can sometime help but spade rudders or multihulls are fair game.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:25   #8

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

An accomplished sailor once told me, when things start going wrong on board a sailboat ( this was in reference not to practicing good seamanship ), your problems can multiply at twice the speed of light.

With that rudder coming out of the water, and other forces acting on that cat, not sure anyone could have done anything unless they had local knowledge and knew what to expect.

I know that harbor and their are dive , tour, and zodiacs operating out of there. Some very long time and dear sailing friends operate the Capt. Zodiac Adventures to Capt. Cooks for snorkeling.

My interest is peaked since I have not seen this video before.

What an unfortunate situation, being at the helm of your vessel, and not being able to steer or power your way out of it.....very short time to react.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
Same happens when you first enter a fast tidal channel with the current behind you Before the boat can pick up speed relative to the water going past the rudder It acts lke you are backing up. Steering is a bit counter intuitive until you can exhilarate or hit something sideways. Prop wash against the rudder can sometime help but spade rudders or multihulls are fair game.

Had a situation very similar happen while going into an inlet to seek medical attention for a crew member - I would not have attempted it otherwise. Vessel is a Beneteau Oceanis 37, so small (too small IMHO) spade rudder. What saved it (just barely) was throttle balls to the wall, pro wash, and sheer luck.
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 01:44   #10

Boat: Fusion 40

Just had this experience last weekend. After a long transfer from Wide Bay Bar came into Mooloolooba at night and low tide. Had surf next to me as I approached the bar and as I crossed was picked up and started to broach. fortunately the boat started to respond to the helm and the next broken wave pushed the bow into the shelter of the groin.

Seeing this video makes me feel ill how easily this could have been my result.

Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 02:50   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

In hazardous situations, people have a tendency to want to slow the boat down. However in circumstances where you're surfing, the water flow over the rudder drops to about nil, thus rendering it useless. But were the boat traveling faster, faster than the wave by enough in order to maintain steerage, then there would still be acceptable water flow over it, so that it could to function normally. Not that that would necessarily save you in situations like this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote